CBR1100XX.org Forum

While my rear wheel is off.....

RXX

Well, this is shit. I have 2 rear wheels, both with holes in them. Bad news is that the fuckers just won't hold a plug; good news is one of them was bought with a road hazard warranty from Cycle Gear in Redding, CA for $24. Got a new tire today for $68 off retail, not too shabby. Wifey's not gonna let me boot the other tire, so I am going to be in the market for 2CT's in a couple of months.

Anyway, since the wheel is off, I finally get a chance to get a close look at my chain. I have ridden about 3,000 miles on it with a "tick" that is chain speed dependent, when energy is applied in a forward motion fashion. I assume I have a frozen link. I haven't been over the entire chain yet (got called in for supper. Black eyed peas & cornbread with white rice & ketchup, crispy fried okra, and steamed broccoli) but I did find one link that was very very stiff. It will articulate, but very very poorly. I sprayed it with WD-40 but that didn't seem to loosen it up. Could that be the issue? Is there any other trick I can use? The chain has 29,000 miles on it. I use a pro-oiler, so it should be oiled enough.

Also, with 49K on it, is it time to replace rear wheel bearings? Is there an easy way to ascertain play?

Regards,

Philip

Well, this is shit. I have 2 rear wheels, both with holes in them. Bad news is that the fuckers just won't hold a plug; good news is one of them was bought with a road hazard warranty from Cycle Gear in Redding, CA for $24. Got a new tire today for $68 off retail, not too shabby. Wifey's not gonna let me boot the other tire, so I am going to be in the market for 2CT's in a couple of months.

Anyway, since the wheel is off, I finally get a chance to get a close look at my chain. I have ridden about 3,000 miles on it with a "tick" that is chain speed dependent, when energy is applied in a forward motion fashion. I assume I have a frozen link. I haven't been over the entire chain yet (got called in for supper. Black eyed peas & cornbread with white rice & ketchup, crispy fried okra, and steamed broccoli) but I did find one link that was very very stiff. It will articulate, but very very poorly. I sprayed it with WD-40 but that didn't seem to loosen it up. Could that be the issue? Is there any other trick I can use? The chain has 29,000 miles on it. I use a pro-oiler, so it should be oiled enough.

Also, with 49K on it, is it time to replace rear wheel bearings? Is there an easy way to ascertain play?

Regards,

Philip

Wow. 29K on the chain. I'm usually happy to get about 20K out of my chains and I keep them as clean and oiled as I can without a pro oiler. If it's developed a hitch, I'd say get ready to replace it, sooner than later if you're going on any kind of long trip. You might be able to get away with riding on it locally, but if it's kinking it's going to give sooner or later. I might consider replacing the bearings on GP as well if you're doing any long riding. Not sure of all the "troubleshooting" steps to figuring out if they NEED it or not though. I know lany kind of hitch or hiccup during a free spin, or any minor lateral (side to side) movement of the wheel while mounted are two signs. Don't know what else.

If you can't free that kink, it's time to replace the chain. I see between 25-30k miles with my Scotoiler, I'd expect you'd see similar mileage.

If you want to borrow my chain tool, PM me your address, I'll send it out tomorrow.

As for the bearings... They're not expensive, so I could see replacing them, but if they still spin free... I'd leave it alone.

On chain wear some go by stretch to see when it is time for a replacement. According to my Busa service manual, count 21 pins and if the length exceeds 12.57 inches it is out of the service limit.

My Busa and XX are both ready for new chains. I've got 26,000 out of my second XX chain and 16,000 out of the stock Busa chain.

Just ordered two of the EK ZZZ chains from this place-- $126.00 with masterlink.

http://www.powersportsuperstore.com/SearchResults.asp

My XX had a DID and the Busa comes with a RK from the factory. We'll see how the EK's hold up.

Don't know about the chain. If you have that many miles without an automating oiling system, it may be coming due for replacement. If in doubt, give it some more time...it'll start stretching out a lot if it's shot, but you may not want to trust it for a long trip away from home.

On any wheel bearing, stick your finger in it and turn it slowly. If you can feel anything, it's damaged. A good bearing will turn with no sensation as it turns. You'll get that before you have sticking issues.

Don't know about the chain. If you have that many miles without an automating oiling system, it may be coming due for replacement. If in doubt, give it some more time...it'll start stretching out a lot if it's shot, but you may not want to trust it for a long trip away from home.

On any wheel bearing, stick your finger in it and turn it slowly. If you can feel anything, it's damaged. A good bearing will turn with no sensation as it turns. You'll get that before you have sticking issues.

The chain has 29,000 miles on it. I use a pro-oiler, so it should be oiled enough.

Reading comprehension... really.. they teach this stuff in 5th grade...

:icon_rolleyes:

Philip,

I would agree with most that it is time for a chain. One thing I do when checking mine is try to pull it off of the rear sprocket. It should move a little, but not much. Rotate the sprocket so another section of chain is on the sprocket and try again. Chains seem to stretch in sections, so one part may be good, and another ready to fail.

Check both sides really close, I saw a chain pulled from a friends XX that looked great from the left side, but the right had a couple of side plates ready to fall off.

And if Hobi can't get his tool to you, give me a yell. Of course mine's a Jumbo ( braggin again :icon_evilgrin: )

Remember those pictures of JRed, or RedJ's case when the chain let go? I would rather be proactive on chains and sprockets.

cracked_case_2.jpg

Thanks for all the advice guys. I guess it has come down to going on and filling the cooler with beer, getting buzzed, and tearing her down for the winter. My projects have multiplied.

Wheels: I got a new front rim from Toxxic, I guess I'll put a new tire on it since my old Pilot Road has 11,000 on it. That will give me a set of rims to put another set on for nexxt time. (BTW, Toxx....I don't think I need a THIRD rear rim, but I'll keep my eyes open)

Chain: OK OK I'll get another, but FUCK I do not want to spend the money. Especially since I was hoping to get an 18T front sprocket when the time was right.

I got a D.I.D. last time and I will shop around for another. Since the chain side of my bike will be nekkid (no muffler) I might git a real purty one.

Pro-Oiler: During my trip up to JC with Oldgeezer & Redxxrdr my control module appeared to go on the fritz off & on. I will have to look in to that. Plus, I got a new "third generation" nozzle that I am eager to install.

Exhaust: Since I am getting a new set & have to take off plastics anyway to put in new headers, I might as well clean up that side too.

PAIR blockoff: I got a set from Matt (paypal on it's way, brother) that should help clean up over the engine.

Vacuum canister: as soon as I get a good understanding of what I need to do, I will do it while plastic is off.

Suspension: The set I put on last year now has about 15K miles on it. Should I pull the forks & rear shock and have CTR go over them? I do not really feel like dropping the bucks, but I am NOT gonna do that shit myself.

Electrical/communication: I need to send my Autocomm unit back & have them look into a short that has developed in on of the female jacks. I am getting intermittant mono. I am going to try to get one primary electrical gang up under the cowl and tie all my stuff into it. I have too many individual power lines going to the back gang, and hopefull that will clear up several issues. I want to hide my radar detector and have it switched remotely. I am going to become familiar with Molex, I suspect. I still want to get all my shit hid under plastic as much as possible so the only stuff showing will be satellite radio, Zune, and GPS.

BTW, thanks, guys I have a ProMotion chain kit from my last R&R. If I take off my forks, yeah, I would appreciate the loan of a fork bearing wrench if anyone has one.

Dropping the bike: I went in on the GB for those mushroom thingys that I need to install.

Clothing optional.

BTW,

Forget the chain, do you really eat white rice & ketchup?

No, I eat black-eyed peas on white rice and cornbread with ketchup. What? You didn't grow up poor in Mississippi?

Philip,

A BIG favor?

If you get the airbox off, will you take pictures of how you attached the audiovox cruise to the throttle linkage. I have Justins and Steves pictures saved, but still don't understand all of it. I don't want to re-invent that part.

It would be nice to finally do that installation.

Don't loose that ( NO Pickles) sticker. It's too cool.

Thanks,

Craig

Philip,

A BIG favor?

If you get the airbox off, will you take pictures of how you attached the audiovox cruise to the throttle linkage. I have Justins and Steves pictures saved, but still don't understand all of it. I don't want to re-invent that part.

It would be nice to finally do that installation.

Don't loose that ( NO Pickles) sticker. It's too cool.

Thanks,

Craig

I should take pictures of my install, too. Might not be till spring, though

(snip... )

I've got a lot of work to do....

Will work for Chicken & dumplings!

Sounds like a good way to spend a weekend... How far away from me are you??

If I take off my forks, yeah, I would appreciate the loan of a fork bearing wrench if anyone has one.

Do you mean fork slider bearings or triple tree head bearings?

I think I still have Hobi's special socket for Honda's head bearings. :icon_redface:

If so, I will send it to him or you asap.

Rich, I think you could drive down to him in about 10 hours.

Edit hehehehe I said Hobi's socket hehehe

Okay, I'll bite- what the hell are "fork slider bearings"? :icon_scratchhead:

OK, since you'll bite, I got yer fork slider bearings right here, right next to Hobi's socket.

I got yer fork slider bearings right here, right next to Hobi's socket.

Given the proximity of your fork slider bearings and Hobi's socket, I'd say you're at a point where simply doing what's (un)natural will take care of you. My involvement seems unnecessary. :icon_wink:

OK, since you'll bite, I got yer fork slider bearings right here, right next to Hobi's socket.

So.... were you thinking steering head bearings, or fork seals?

If you need that socket.. Ed, send away! If you don't have it, I'll check in the gayrage.

My last DID chain that was on the bike when I bought it with 32 000km started ticking and got a vibration through the LH peg around 50 000km but was only 1/2 stretched and the sprockets were good so I just would spray the link with Penetrene every couple of days, let it free up then oil the chain, finally changed the chain and sprockets @~78 000km :icon_surprised:

Just got me a Scottoiler so I don't need to piss about oiling the chain all the time as I do ~700km a week on the bike commuting to work :icon_surprised:

What I meant was "fork slider bushing" I think :icon_redface:

So Philip just PM everyone your address and whoever has Hobi's tool will send it on down. :icon_evilgrin:

What I meant was "fork slider bushing" I think :icon_redface:

So Philip just PM everyone your address and whoever has Hobi's tool will send it on down. :icon_evilgrin:

I'd sure like to know where it is... I haven't seen it in months.

The ticking your are hearing might be the chain just touching your rearstand. Mine does this when the chain is a tad loose. Then i got annoyed by it and dremelled part of the rearstand off.