CBR1100XX.org Forum

Cleaning chain / Kerosene & Radiator cap

Steve

Alright, so where does one purchase Kerosene? I have been told that "Red" label Deisel fuel is Kerosene, as is JP4... is this the case? I hope to cleaning my chain well (and of course lube it well with Blue label PJ lube). I have gone to a few stores looking specifically for Kerosene with no avail.

Doing my semi-annual bike detail as preparation for the next long riding season.

Also, does anyone know where I can purchase the radiator cap at a reasonable price? I had seen where someone went to a Honda car dealership fdound it there but I need to find a part number as Honda didn't kow what I was talking about this morning. The one on my '91 ST1100 is showing cracks in the rubber, and Lord knows - you never want to see "cracks in your rubber!"

Thanks in advance,

Steve

2001 Red Blackbird

check www.ronayers.com for price, they're reasonable and well stocked usually.

imho, i rode my stock chain almost 28k miles and NEVER once cleaned it. BelRay sprayed it about every 1k miles religiously.

If you do clean it, just make sure you don't work the dirt and grime INTO the o-rings rather than off of them :grin:

I got a gallon of Kerosene at my local Ace Hardware Store. Any hardware store that sells keorsene heaters should have kerosene. I use a small amount on a rag to clean off the side plates of the chain every couple thousand miles. It was @ $3.00

Should last me 50 years. Works great.

Dan

red diesel is not k-1 Kerosene. I assume you mean red dyed diesel. diesel is diesel. the red dye means it is tax exempt diesel and not meant for DOT use. Off road vehicle only. You need a tax exempt form to use this fuel. Chances of finding it at the gas station are zip and zero. Usually a truck stop such as williams or the flying j will have a special pump up in the corner of the building designated as K-1. Oh they do the same thing in regular unleaded gasoline. Red dye is tax exemt and purple (kinda blueish) is DOT fuel. My family farms and we have a tax exemption of diesel. If you get caught running red dye on the highway in a licensed vehicle you will lose that vehicle and pay some hefty fines.