CBR1100XX.org Forum

Touring compound on a Blackbird?

Zero Knievel

I'm dreaming of a trip to Alaska on 2 wheels.

Part of the problem will be tires. Given the distance there and back (10,000 +/-), I should be able to make it on new sport-touring compound tires (I easily get 9-10K out of a rear...more from a front).

However, such a trek will involve many miles of graveled roads (which can eat tires faster than pavement). There is also a high risk of punctures.

I'd consider doing a smarter move and just getting outright touring compound tires for maximum wear and seeing if they can be bought from Rhino Tire so they are pre-treated against punctures.

Any suggestions from those who've tried it or know the market?

Rhino Tire's product list for motorcycles - http://rhinotire.com/store_1.php?t=moto

Don't worry, Mike, your tire(s) will need to be replaced at some point on the trip. Just make sure you have a good tire plugger and pump.

Don't worry, Mike, your tire(s) will need to be replaced at some point on the trip. Just make sure you have a good tire plugger and pump.

Or bring me along... :icon_wink:

See if an ME880 will fit your bike. I called Metzeler once to ask them if I could run those on the 'Bird and the man on the other end of the phone said no, hell no. But...maybe just don't go over 100 mph. Those ME880's wear like iron.

I've done a few 10,000 Mile trips. I always had tires shipped to the destination so I could ride back without worries. I'd rather have decent grip and good millage out of a tire, then risk not having traction when you need it and having more millage.

Or bring me along... :icon_wink:

Do it! You two guys will be perfect for each other!

:icon_gay:

Pilot Roads are the touring compound. Pilot Powers are the sport touring compound.

No, that's not true. The MPR2 is sport-touring, but not suitable for what you want. Because of it's very light carcass the risk of a puncture is bigger than other tires.

I suggest you try the new ContiMotion. It's cheap (here in Holland at least), and will last long. It's not a great handling tire, but it'll do the job at hand......

I love the Pilot Road (which I thought were sport-touring compound). I know the Pilot Road2 tires are a bit softer...kinda like Sport-Sport-Touring compound.

For a trip to Alaska, it's about long wear. For some of the roads, I'd like to get the tires pre-treated by Rhino Tire (or buy them from them) so I don't have to worry so much about getting punctures (which is a real hazard up that way). If I put the tires on new before I leave, they would last until I get home.

Tire plug kits are now the norm in my gear bag, but fixing flats in the middle of nowhere is not desirable, which I why I'm looking at Rhino Tire.

You might look at the Dunlop 205's that came on the Bird a few years back

They are like steel with long milage but no confidence in cornering.

Roads are made with different formulations of mcAdam or asphalt in Europe as compared to America.

What holds up great on European roads is completely different here in US highways.

The pilot Roads do not hold up well in England and the Brit's hate them for cornering confidence.

They really like the Avon's over there but I have not had good luck with the Avons here.

I have had great luck with the Pilot roads here myself

The original Dunlop's lasted me the longest milage back in 2001/2002 but not even sure you can still get them.

Also look at Avon 45/46 ST tires.

I use to run them on my bird as all the fun roads are 2 hrs west of me. Once in the mountains I would lower the pressure to play.

I could only get about 3500 miles out of a rear, as I shagged the shit out of it. But you pump it up to 42 psi and they wear like steel, and still allow some playing in the corners but don't go looking to drag your knee.

I would go with Avons ST or Pilot Roads and run about 40 - 42 psi

I use to run them on my bird as all the fun roads are 2 hrs west of me. Once in the mountains I would lower the pressure to play.

I could only get about 3500 miles out of a rear, as I shagged the shit out of it. But you pump it up to 42 psi and they wear like steel, and still allow some playing in the corners but don't go looking to drag your knee.

I agree with this post as I am about to replace my current set of Avon ST's. These are the preferred tire in the UK over the Road. Here in the States I personally get far better milage out of Roads than I do the ST's. That is just my experience here in South Florida, the home of "11 turns in 318 miles. !

Last set I had on John I got just over 1,000 miles :icon_redface: Something about a 550lb bike with my big ass on it in 100 deg heat knarling the shit out of them for day in the twisties. running 36F/38R psi

I got home and the edges were chewed and had 2 inch blueish/purple color on the edges. I got them way to hot and cooked them. Wouldn't heat up again even if you threw them on a bonfire.

The M3's I replaced them with were nice but would skip out just an inch from time to time.

Looking to try a dual compound next. Somthing to wear good to get to the twisties and something to stick good once there.

Let me know when you plan on coming up here. I have a place to stay, large garage, and can help you out on what to see.

You can have a set of tires shipped up here and be ready for installation when you get here. I can get it coordinated with the local shop so yopu don't have any "down" time.

If both you and Rich come then I will set up the first "ANXXT" meet. (Anchorage XX Tour)

Who wants t-shirts? :icon_biggrin:

There is a stretch of about 70 miles of gravel road you will have to traverse to get here. (Last time I checked)

Info on Alaska:

http://www.alaskatrekker.com/alaska_highway.htm

I love the Avon's for the roads here. No problem for me to get 6-7000miles on a rear but after that is getting questionable. I'd take up TFT's offer if I were you and ship a set of tires to him. Last thing you want is to be in the middle of no where with a shot tire.

I've done a few 10,000 Mile trips. I always had tires shipped to the destination so I could ride back without worries. I'd rather have decent grip and good millage out of a tire, then risk not having traction when you need it and having more millage.

Here's the Best advise your going to get concerning this topic....

Listen to this guy....

Let me know when you plan on coming up here. I have a place to stay, large garage, and can help you out on what to see.

You can have a set of tires shipped up here and be ready for installation when you get here. I can get it coordinated with the local shop so yopu don't have any "down" time.

If both you and Rich come then I will set up the first "ANXXT" meet. (Anchorage XX Tour)

Who wants t-shirts? :icon_biggrin:

There is a stretch of about 70 miles of gravel road you will have to traverse to get here. (Last time I checked)

Info on Alaska:

http://www.alaskatrekker.com/alaska_highway.htm

And for a little more flat prevention insurance... you can't beat this stuff...

http://www.ride-on.com/prod_mot.asp

Almost any tire will come out from under you when cold...don't ask how I know. (Painful memories...)

Replacement is ideal 1/2 way thru the trip...you will likely find some major gashes in your treads.

Carry a GOOD patch kit....

Hi

I could seriously recomend Dunlop Roadsmarts

I was persuaded to use avons but when I went to Dunlop I realised what I was missing.

Qualifiers and Qualifier RR are great but only last 4,000miles.

The roadsmart grips better as for how long they last I would have to check my Friendly garage (TPG in Brighton).

I have to admit they did let go in the snow on a side street.