CBR1100XX.org Forum

Tach check on start up no longer spikes

PlasticxxHead

So I have HID's and I know the more times they arc the less life you get.

So I have been keeping the bike in neutral on start up.. Holding the ignition on the right hand and turning the key with my left.

Keeps the bulb from arcing then off during start up then arcing again while running.

I have noticed that the tach doesn't move at all any more during the initial key turn. The speedo still climbs down from 189 or what ever the the Fi and Neutral lights still check , but the tach stays at zero.

Any suggestions of a relay or a fuse I may have blown, or a diagnosis of what could be going on? Tach still works normally when bike is running.

Something to think about when trying to save HID life..

No Suggestions,

However, I recently installed HID and am starting like you. I have had my Speedometer go blank a number of times. It has always recovered by restarting the bike normally. I wonder if the cluster has a powerup diagnostic that is getting interrupted.

I am looking at installing a delay circuit on the headlight relay to let me start the bike before the headlight turns on.

I don't know if there is anything wrong with your bike Pete but I know that Brett's bike was acting funny after we insalled the HID's on his bike I think it is fine now though. Could be something with the computer and the different voltage draw.

I have the HID's also but I do not start the bike as you do from what I read those bulbs are pretty damn tough.

I think the set that I have on my bike have a built in time delay so that after the bulb comes up to temp and is shut down it must stay off for about 30-60 seconds cause if I try to flip it back on it won't fire but after it is off for a few seconds it comes right on. I have the solid state ignitor and balast on mine. I don't know if anyone has the same thing or not but that is what I think.

I am looking at installing a delay circuit on the headlight relay to let me start the bike before the headlight turns on.

Why don't you just put a switch in line so you can turn the headlight off till you are ready?

My XX is a 03 and the tech has never spiked. It always shows 0 or RPM if running.

+1 Same here on my '03 digital dash; no tach needle movement.

And, if I remember correctly, my brother's '00 with the analog dash, spikes the analog speedo needle, but I don't know about the tach needle, though.

My XX is a 03 and the tech has never spiked. It always shows 0 or RPM if running.

+2. No tach action on my '03 when the ignition is first switched on. It only has movement

once the engine is running.

So I have HID's and I know the more times they arc the less life you get.

So I have been keeping the bike in neutral on start up.. Holding the ignition on the right hand and turning the key with my left.

Keeps the bulb from arcing then off during start up then arcing again while running.

I have noticed that the tach doesn't move at all any more during the initial key turn. The speedo still climbs down from 189 or what ever the the Fi and Neutral lights still check , but the tach stays at zero.

Any suggestions of a relay or a fuse I may have blown, or a diagnosis of what could be going on? Tach still works normally when bike is running.

Something to think about when trying to save HID life..

Pete:

If it matters, I have HIDs and I've never bothered to start my bike like this, and after 3 years and 50k miles with the HIDs, it still works fine. Of course, now that I've said that, watch the fucker blow.

• 4 months later...
Rich,

Does your tach jump on start up.. you have an 02 too...?

k. out with that plan, I am gonna have to stop being lazy and install my euro right grip one of these days,,

So there is no fuse or relay.. hhmmmm...

After my speedo blanked out, I went with the UK switchgear option. Worth every penny! Failing that a simple inline switch as suggested I reckon is well worth it as not only the HID life and XX's dianostics are eased, the battery takes a pounding from the intial start up current required to fire the ballast pre engine start.

I have similar problem but not on the bike, i installed hid's onto my audi a6, if i am using the cd player when i put the lights on it stops the cd and throws an error code on the radio. I wonder why???? by the sounds of things it's the same effect with your bike hid's.

Rich,

Does your tach jump on start up.. you have an 02 too...?

k. out with that plan, I am gonna have to stop being lazy and install my euro right grip one of these days,,

So there is no fuse or relay.. hhmmmm...

By jump do you mean register the RPMs while it's turning over, before it fires? Honestly... I don't know. Mine usually fires within half a second of thumbing the starter.

It doesn't do a whole "Run the tach end to end" while the fuel pump is powering up, and the speedometer is counting down.

Then again.. I usually don't even wait for that to complete before thumbing the starter. Turn the key, switch the start/run switch to run, thumb starter, enjoy the sound of the Migs... :icon_biggrin:

If it matters, I have HIDs and I've never bothered to start my bike like this, and after 3 years and 50k miles with the HIDs, it still works fine. Of course, now that I've said that, watch the fucker blow.

I religiously held my starter button in whilst turning the key (in neutral of course) to avoid the extra firing cycle of the HID and mine just blew out after roughly 3 years.....whatever you are doing seems to be working so I wouldn't change anything.... :icon_wink: