CBR1100XX.org Forum

Mechnaical noise whan in neutral?

jimakazi

[Edited from original topic]

When I start my bike and it's running in neutral it has a lot of mechanical noise, but when I pull in the cluch it runs smooth and quiet [even idles OK].

It's like neutral is semi engaging a gear or something.

I recall seeing a post a while back about lots of noise when the bike is started on the side stand - but starting it in the upright postion is better. Same for my bike.

New oil [shell SX4] and filter, hydraulic clutch fluid, made no difference. I've cleaned all the gunk away from behind the front sproket / clutch actuator [suggestion from someone here] and again no difference

I hardly ever use neutral anyway so it's no biggy - just curious.

Try cleaning the clutch pushrod up first, get to it from behind the clutch slave cylinder, it gets all the crap off the front sprocket there, taking the rod out cleaning it and that area up does help. Clutch itself should be OK you'd be getting slip if it was on its way out. Doesn't seem to be an in between, its either quiet or rattles like a bag of spanners but has no ill effects.

You pull the clutch in, and all is silent, yes? It's just the clutch basket rattling around.... nothing to be concerned about. Many Blackbirds do that, particularly when cold. I personally have found that there is very little clutch basket noise once the bike is hot.

But whenever it's cold, you can hear it fairly well upon startup unless you pull the clutch in. Nothing to be concerned about, you're good...