CBR1100XX.org Forum

Some plastic rattles in the front when I go over a bump

Rubberdown

Hi guys,

There is a noise in the front area of the bike when I go over a bump or uneven road surface. THe noise sounds like when tw pieces of plastic hits one another. Nothing is visibly lose. I think it is coming from around the instrument cluster, windscreen area but like I said nothing is lose.

Damn it is annoying. Anyone have experienced it ? Guess I will have to take the front faring off and look. Is that a big job btw ?

THanks.

Henrik

Montreal

Guess I will have to take the front faring off and look. Is that a big job btw ?  

Cant help you about the noise, but taking the faring off is no big deal. Just start un-screwing. I have had mine off more than once. Not too bad at all.

Ken

dont know about yours for sure but I had this same problem on my 99. It turns out that under the front fairing, just under the headlight, is a little square piece of plastic(about 3 inches by 4 inches). This POS rattles no matter what. One day I was out riding and hit a bump and thought something is wrong it didnt rattle. Got home and it had blown off somewhere on the trip. I dont even know why it was there in the first place other than cover up a huge hole honda decided to leave in the fairing. I'm not worried about replacing it anytime soon either.

later

dont know about yours for sure but I had this same problem on my 99. It turns out that under the front fairing, just under the headlight, is a little square piece of plastic(about 3 inches by 4 inches). This POS rattles no matter what. One day I was out riding and hit a bump and thought something is wrong it didnt rattle. Got home and it had blown off somewhere on the trip. I dont even know why it was there in the first place other than cover up a huge hole honda decided to leave in the fairing. I'm not worried about replacing it anytime soon either.  

later

thinking about putting a wheelie light with a mercury switch in that hole...my cap went missing too :twisted:

Thanks for the info!

I am so f-ing sick of that noise!

later

I noticed a couple of instrument cluster rubber mount washers when I had my windshield off. There was a lot of slop in them and the inst. cluster rattled when I went over bumps. I found a couple of rubber washers and added them to the mount bolts.

You can get to these bolts by simply removing the windshield. It was an easy fix and the rattle stopped. :grin:

Mine's a '00 XX.

I had the same problem with that little cover going missing, I'm going to replace it though, I've noticed that I get kindof a deep whistle without it. I'm going to come up with some way to tighten it in place this time.

It's too far forward for headlight adj. If you reach between handlebars and insturment trim you can adj. headlight. Not while rideing unfortunately.

If I take mine off it might rattle. :lol: Hey Andy1100, What's up in that hole???

I don't know Pete, bend over just a little more........ :grin:

I am going to check though, if I can see no reason to ever take it off I might just make a cover out of aluminum and mount it, permanent like.

How are you guys loosing that cover? Mine has stayed put through a bazillion (OK maybe only kajillion) wheelies. Maybe the the air blowing on it when the front end is up holds it there! :roll:

edit: just checked to see if it's still there....it is, whew :naughty:

you guys with the shacky instrument panels. Have you evey taken the inner plastic pieces around the gauges off? If you have look and see if the clips on the side of the panel is actually hooking on to those outside plastic pieces. Its a PITA (pain in the ass) to get it in all the right spots but I found it doesn't move as much when its actually where it is supposed to be. Oh, I checked those little rubber pieces too and they were a little loose as well. hope this helps.

Most likely the problem you are having is one (or both) of the ram air ducts

which go from the front of the nose to the air box.

Reach under the frt. fairing (under the headlight) and grab the black plastic tube that is located on the right & left sides of the headlight, inside the fairing.

If you have any play - slip a piece of foam between the duct & the fairing; this should keep the duct from rattling untill you get a chance to take the tank off and seal the airbox - duct connection area.

I used silicone, you can to - or just wrap some duct tape around the junction to keep the duct from moving.

(This also helps to seal the airbox an keep as much air as possible to be forced through the filter - helps the engine breeth).

Hope this helps........Good Luck!

Wow! Looking at some of your posts, I guess I've been really blessed! I had a similar noise on my '03 when hitting bumps and realized that the noise was caused by the key ring on my key bouncing up and down. Pretty rudimenatary, huh?

Joe

XX RATED was SOO right it is not even funny. To bad I just read his post now as I came back to post the update. I removed all thew fairings from the front of the bike, upper, lowers the works. It was the right air duct that was a bit lose and banged against the bottom of the nose fairing. I used the same fix you recommended and put a slab of rubber-foam under both ducys. The problem is solved, but like XX RATED said, if you have this problem you do not need to remove any fairings, just put in some isolation material under the ducts.

I also noticed that my Zero Gravity screen makes some squeaky noise over bumps, this is not from the screen not being properly attached though. It is a relatively big and thin fairing. Anyone else noticed it and have some suggestions. THis is not really an issue though, but it never hursts to strive for perfectness :)

Sorry I couldn't get to you sooner!

Glad it worked out for you.

To anyone else that reads this - if you have the oportunity to have the tank off - I suggest sealing the airbox as to not allow any air to leave the box via the junction between the ducts and the box.

The more air that is forced into the engine the better!

Black silicone works well.............

Good Luck!

• Upvote 1