CBR1100XX.org Forum

Tire Balancing

Dano

I know we have talked about this but I have another question.

Bought new Michelin Pilot Sports. Dealer had a sale. They mounted and balanced them. Ride home wobble @ 40-50 mph. Few days later when I had the chance I took the front wheel back and had them check the balancing. They said it was off by 25 grams. I'm thinking great, they didn't do it right the 1st time but now it will be better. Get home(should have looked at it there but..) noticed they had added the 25 grams to another spot. 30 grams still in the origional spot. Now I've got 55 grams lead on the rim. I put it back on and test ride. It is better, but still wobbles at 40-50 mph. Maybe something like 50% better then it was. So now I thinking I better take the rear in to check it again.

Question: Seems like they should be able to balance the rim with lead in one spot only. Should I have them strip all the lead on the front and do it again (same with rear if it needs it), or is no big deal, or in fact necessary sometimes to have balance lead in several places?

I thought spin balancing was suppose to be percise, I mean balanced is balanced, I shouldn't get different results every time right?

Dano

A mild wobble at 40-50 is usually NOT balance-related. It just happens. It's a law of physics based on the geometry of the bike and a billion little variables. The best way to fix it is to not take your hands off the bars.

There is only one low (light) spot on the rim/tire combo, so there should be only one location for the lead.

Adding it in different places won't harm anything, but they should have removed the original lead, and repositioned it in the right place.

A bad tire would be felt at very low speeds (usually under 20mph), and a balance problem would normally be felt at speeds above 60, so Carlos is right about the slight wobble, which is more present on decel, and hands off the bars.

It's normal for this bike, and most of the tires mounted to it.