CBR1100XX.org Forum

HID Light Comparison

JuXXtin

HID lighting is worth every penny spent. And the price for a H7 kit (include two bulbs/ballasts) is now $65 to your door.

...soooo, here you go, for the non-believers, if there are any of you left that is, :icon_shifty:

Stock low beam H7:

DSC08417.JPG

HID 4300K low beam H7:

DSC08418.JPG

What is the amperage use on the hid vs standards? Also, do they seem to get any hotter?

What is the amperage use on the hid vs standards? Also, do they seem to get any hotter?

Starting is 10A, running is 3.2A... or 35W running (vs. 55W). Not noticeable to the rider, the ballast gets very hot but is tucked behind the dash, the bulb is well... I don't know, it's in the housing. :icon_confused: But works great nonetheless! No melting etc.

Stock bulb draws 55 watts HID is around 35 watts, but the HID draws a bit more for a few seconds while it fires up.

I was next to a friend of mine the other night on his FZ1. My HID low beam made it look like his lights weren't even on.

I was next to a friend of mine the other night on his FZ1. My HID low beam made it look like his lights weren't even on.

+1 I reckon the HID LB is brighter now than the old HB was :icon_surprised:

Good choice on the 4300K bulb. :icon_thumbsup: They aren't blue enough to cause unwanted attention by LEO's and they still offer GREAT lighting ability.

I ordered a set.

But this is an area I'm green. :icon_whistle:

Does this H7 4300K work with low and high beam? :icon_think:

You posted only low beam.

Bjorn,

The H7 is a single filament, 1 bulb/ballast will replace with upper light, low beam. I kept the high beam bulb non-HID because I switch it on and off with traffic frequently enough that if it was HID, it wouldn't be very effective. As the HID bulb needs a few minutes to full brightness after switching on. But if I was doing desert run's at 3am a lot, then HID high beam would be very effective too. :icon_biggrin:

Bjorn,

The H7 is a single filament, 1 bulb/ballast will replace with upper light, low beam. I kept the high beam bulb non-HID because I switch it on and off with traffic frequently enough that if it was HID, it wouldn't be very effective. As the HID bulb needs a few minutes to full brightness after switching on. But if I was doing desert run's at 3am a lot, then HID high beam would be very effective too. :icon_biggrin:

OK.

We're so far north that from mid of may to mid august it doesn’t get totally dark.

It will be great to have in the fall.

This set should cover both bikes. :icon_biggrin:

I have low and high HID 5000k.... riding these dark CO roads at night is awesome. Yeah, I'm one of those pricks who likes to rocket through the night, and the HIDs bring your visibility out so far it's incredible. IMO, the farther you can see, the sooner you can stop... I'll never have a bike without HIDs again.

Did you have to do any mods to get the HID bulb to fit the stock socket? Is it a plug and play system or how much mod was it to installing it?

I got from the seller posted above, flashplus. This particular one came with a rubber guard for the wires... I slid it up the lines against the back of the bulb and put it into place and latched it. Like Byrdman said.... EASY! You do have to find a spot for the ballast though, a little trickier but still no problem if you are an expert at the fine art of.... zip-ties!

Or ppal me $35 and I'll send you the other half of my kit.

I have low and high HID 5000k.... riding these dark CO roads at night is awesome. Yeah, I'm one of those pricks who likes to rocket through the night, and the HID's bring your visibility out so far it's incredible. IMO, the farther you can see, the sooner you can stop... I'll never have a bike without HID's again.

+1 I ride into the hills of Perth, West Aus all the time in the dark for work and the HB works great :icon_biggrin:

Already saved me form a couple of big Roo's :icon_surprised:

Did you have to do any mods to get the HID bulb to fit the stock socket? Is it a plug and play system or how much mod was it to installing it?

I got my 5300k from HIDSeller and basically you need to discard the stock plastic plugs and just use the spade connectors to hook up the wiring and you will need a large rubber washer under the clip for the bulb to get the clip to hold the bulb in tight :icon_surprised:

On the FI bikes I believe the ballasts can be mounted on the back of the instrument cluster, on my carbed bike I had to run some Ali angle from the 2 bolts either side of the headlight and bolt the ballasts to that :icon_think:

I have both of my headlights converted to HID. As for the high beam needing alot of warm up time, I have not had that bad an experience with that aspect of them. If you just fire them up every so often while running along, the ulb must stay "warm" or something as it will fire right up when I hit it. That way I have the best of both worlds. :icon_evilgrin:

I have LB and HB 4300K bulbs. Activating the HB takes about 15 to 20 seconds to come to full brightness. The only downside is that you lose the ability to "flash" your highbeam from the off condition.

With low beam HID the following conditions make the HID light flicker and pulse from low power, even after the ignitor has already fired the bulb.

-When the cooling fan is running on the bike at idle

-With heated gear and the high beams on when at idle

Basically the xx generator isn't enough at idle to juice much accessories.