CBR1100XX.org Forum

Tire Choices

TJ1137

I just had a blow out coming home from work on the ole BB. The rear tire popped. Weird, not a bad tire, plenty of life left, just blew a hole dead center. Anyhow, no harm done, didn't wipe out or do damage to me or the bike.

So, I know it might be on here, but I am going to replace front and rear and am interested to see what tires you all like for your XX's.

I just had a blow out coming home from work on the ole BB. The rear tire popped. Weird, not a bad tire, plenty of life left, just blew a hole dead center. Anyhow, no harm done, didn't wipe out or do damage to me or the bike.

So, I know it might be on here, but I am going to replace front and rear and am interested to see what tires you all like for your XX's.

That was weird that it blew a hole dead center...

How big was the hole?

What tires were you using when it blew?

I run Continental Contiforce (NOT the Road Attack, or Max, or Race Attack, just regular ole Contiforce) and get good mileage and good grip out of them for the way I ride. I usually get about 10-12k out of a rear with my big 240# ass on the bike.

+1 for Michelins. Which flavor has a lot to do with your wallet. The Pilot Power series (or PP 2CT's) are great tires for the XX. They just don't last like a sport touring tire. I haven't tried the PR2's yet, but I plan to try one on the rear as my next XX tire.

I havent tried the Michilin's yet but have about 1000 miles on my second set of Meztler sport tec M-3's

These things stick good I lean this thing all the way over and the only time the m3's let go is when I left them to take a ride on the fairings (not the tires fault) :icon_redface: . Also Ive broke both ends loose in various conditions and the m3's have allways hooked back up. Milage is'nt very good maybe 2500 but thats not what I buy em for. Next time I think I'll try the pilot powers though.

JDXX

I am also running M3's and they are alright. Have had them break loose several times, once was a good pucker effect. Was pushing it some, but not at max lean.

At WVEXXT this yr coming home I was chewing them up pretty good. I stopped for gas in Goshen, just checking to make sure I had enough rubber to get home and I could wipe off the shredded rubber like the tire had dandruff.. :icon_lol:

Wanna try some dual compounds next.

I like Michelins.

Michelins are great tires but have a reputation of not lasting so long. For traction when your wallet isn't an issue. . . .Michelins :icon_dance: I probably don't push that hard, and do a lot of daily, so I ended up with Pirelli Diablo's. Man, they are pretty damn smooth I must say. :icon_clap: Seems like they'll get good mileage too. Did I mention easier on the wallet?

Dunlop qualifiers stick really well Wet/Dry, they dont last long though <5K, & come stock on alot of 600cc sportbikes which is what they were designed for.

Dont be tricked by the dealer, & talked into "the better" tire. Get what you want or go somewhere else. Even better order online.

I run Continental Contiforce (NOT the Road Attack, or Max, or Race Attack, just regular ole Contiforce) and get good mileage and good grip out of them for the way I ride. I usually get about 10-12k out of a rear with my big 240# ass on the bike.

How the hell do you get 10-12k out of a rear? Are you riding an XX? Mine destroys contiforces in < 4k ... I get 4500-5000 out of Z7/M3 combo

That was weird that it blew a hole dead center...

How big was the hole?

What tires were you using when it blew?

I have Mich Pilot Roads on it now. That's what I'll probably put back on it. I found them online for about 145.00 plus free shipping, not a bad deal. I must have had something go in it and pop out. It's about the size of a small pen tip. Thanks for all the input guys.

+1 for Michelins. Which flavor has a lot to do with your wallet. The Pilot Power series (or PP 2CT's) are great tires for the XX. They just don't last like a sport touring tire. I haven't tried the PR2's yet, but I plan to try one on the rear as my next XX tire.

double that +1 on the PP. Tried Dunlup's (D207/209) before the PP and I went through those really fast!

** forgot to add... good traction on the street for the PP's as well. Its mostly flat in Texas, so we dont get any real mountains... but on the corners when I push it... they stick!

Ive tried the diablo/strada combo. Good tyre life but not the best feedback and so felt a bit uneasy to me.

I currently have Michelin pilot sports fitted. I did a 2500km trip at easter and they worked will. They need to be hot before max grip/feedback occurs though. Top wet weather tyres too.

Im going the diablo corsa`s next. I hear only good things about them. Dont care if they only last 5000kms :)

Ive tried the diablo/strada combo. Good tyre life but not the best feedback and so felt a bit uneasy to me.

I currently have Michelin pilot sports fitted. I did a 2500km trip at easter and they worked will. They need to be hot before max grip/feedback occurs though. Top wet weather tyres too.

Im going the diablo corsa`s next. I hear only good things about them. Dont care if they only last 5000kms :)

If you don't care about tire mileage, try the Dunlop Qualifiers. They warm-up fast, have great feedback, and very good grip.

Price isn't bad either.

I've got Michelin Pilot Road 2's on front and rear. With about 2000 miles on them, so far so good. I live in flatland and occasionally travel to the twisties, so the longer-life centre compound was of interest to me. They were expensive though since we Canadians get raped on the prices. I paid $250 for the rear and about $180 for the front, both of which were "heavily discounted" at the shop. That's installed. If time comes to replace them, I'll see what the price will be and might go back to the PR1, or not, dunno.

Tim

Dunlop qualifiers stick really well Wet/Dry, they dont last long though <5K, & come stock on alot of 600cc sportbikes which is what they were designed for.

Dont be tricked by the dealer, & talked into "the better" tire. Get what you want or go somewhere else. Even better order online.

Qualifiers are great but yes you'll need two rears and a front to go 7k.

I switched to Michelin Pilot Road 2's on front and rear. They are not as good now as my worn out Qualifiers. I hope they don't last too long.

I just ordered a Dunlop Roadsmart for the rear to be paired with the Qualifier front that already has 2500 miles on it. I'm going to Colorado in a couple of weeks and I'll post my opinions when I get back. :icon_dance:

Has anybody else tried this tire yet? Or the new Bridgestone BT016?

Has anyone tried the new Avon sport touring?

I'm on my second set of Avons, the first being the Azaro's and now their replacement the Storms. Have about 6k on the Storms, and they look to have about another 1500 miles left before the rear will need replacement. I always replace in pairs so the front will get trashed also.

I like the Avons for great grip and decent wear rate. My Busa has a set of Michelin Pilot sport HPX's, and I can't wait to get a set of Storms spooned on it when I get the HPX's wore a little more. Never slid around more, than I have with the HPX's.

Has anyone tried the new Avon sport touring?

I'm on my second set of Avons, the first being the Azaro's and now their replacement the Storms. Have about 6k on the Storms, and they look to have about another 1500 miles left before the rear will need replacement. I always replace in pairs so the front will get trashed also.

I like the Avons for great grip and decent wear rate. My Busa has a set of Michelin Pilot sport HPX's, and I can't wait to get a set of Storms spooned on it when I get the HPX's wore a little more. Never slid around more, than I have with the HPX's.

I've had great luck with the Avon's I had the Azaro's and got at least 12-15,000Km's out of them but that was mostly highway. I've got a set of storms on the bike now with 10,000Km on them and got a nail in the rear tire but it seems to still have close to 1/2 thread left. Going to replace it.

before my M3's I was running the Avon ST rear and the Avon SP front. Rode nice stuck pretty good, however I would only get about 3500 to 4k miles out of a rear. The 3rd rear I destoyed in less than 1k miles by riding with some buddies in the mountains. Found out how much the ST rear could take being pushed on the XX. I over cooked the rear and she no long got warm.. She was chewed up. The next day after getting home I went to clean my chain and the rear had a really pretty blue/purplish tint to it.. :icon_lol:

Shinko 009's incredible mileage, stick ok, very predictable. Want to try the Shinko 005's next - a little more grippy tire. Surpringly great value for the money.

I just ordered a Dunlop Roadsmart for the rear to be paired with the Qualifier front that already has 2500 miles on it. I'm going to Colorado in a couple of weeks and I'll post my opinions when I get back. :icon_dance:

Has anybody else tried this tire yet? Or the new Bridgestone BT016?

I have a BT016 on the back of my bike - found it to be really crap when cold... spins up 1st and 2nd with no warning, even after 10 miles of freeway riding. When its hot it sticks great, so its probably fine on the track. Unuseable on the street in my opinion unless you hammer it all the time (which I don't)

My next new set will be another Metzeler Z6 combo. Had great traction, awesome mileage, good feel.