CBR1100XX.org Forum

Bird is sold

R1000

and will be replaced by a Hayabusa 2008. Yes, I know the Busa rear is butt ugly :icon_redface: . This design is however done by purpose to insult other riders, which will only see it from the back :icon_evilgrin:

Cheerio Guys, it has been a pleasure to visit this great forum. I will make a last post later and report my findings about the new bike.

You put a lot of work into your Bird and you sell it? Well, at lest it's not a 14. Let us know how the new one runs.

It runs very well, night-and-day difference to the Bird. 10/10 would be a conservative rating :icon_biggrin:

post-3595-1214398799.jpg

You put a lot of work into your Bird and you sell it? Well, at lest it's not a 14. Let us know how the new one runs.

It runs very well, night-and-day difference to the Bird. 10/10 would be a conservative rating :icon_biggrin:

So it does run circles around the your old XX with ported head, etc...... ?

Does the bird do something well that the busa dosent do, or does the busa out class it in everything no matter what ? (I think I already know this one, just wanted a confirmation from a previous bird owner) Thanks

The Bird is not in the same division on any parameter. I guess the Bird may be more comfy for a tall rider, I'm only 5.7 and the Busa fits me like a glove. The Busa design does also appears much more modern, even though the rear is debated for good reasons and the Bird still look very good as well.

A Bird with raised rear, good rear shock and stiffer front springs and good tyres, is not very far from a Busa in handling, but the Busa is still more rigid and stable and work better as a unit. The Busa engine is however something quite different :icon_biggrin:

The outcome on a twisty road will depend on the driver, as usual. On straights, the Bird doesn't have anything to score against the Busa.

If you ever have tried a modern sport bike, the Busa reminds a lot on them, but with the comfort qualities of a sport tourer. The Bird leans more to the older sport tourer side, like e.g. CBR 1000 F, ZX11 even if it is a step ahead of those.

Bottom line, I was not impressed by the Bird when I bought it and put a lot of work and money into it to make is usuable for me. Still, it is an old bike and I wanted to test the lastest creature. This time I'm totally impressed from the begining, and there is a great potential for more power at a low cost. The Busa will then be almost as powerful as many entry level Turbo bikes.

This time I'm totally impressed from the begining, and there is a great potential for more power at a low cost. The Busa will then be almost as powerful as many entry level Turbo bikes.

This is what I am being told as well, the Busa has great potential for gains and the aftermarket cost are much more reasonable than what you could ever think of doing to the bird... Honda sure needs to do something, I am with you not a 14 fan but that Busa sure catches my eye...

I'm sure the Busa is not nearly as smooth as my Bird. My '05 Busa was a buzzzz saw. I was so happy to dump that vibrator. Maybe the '08 is better in that dept but I doubt it's near Bird quality. As far as the extra power.....it's almost irrelevant. The Bird is so excessively powered for everyday use, what the hell is an extra 50hp going to do for me? Wear out my tires a little quicker? If I was that into extra power and handling, I'd be going to the track and getting a new 1000RR.

The Busa has much more, and still usuable power and handles a lot better. The Bird is good but not on top, as is was in 1997, but has not developed since then :icon_evilgrin:

The Busa has much more, and still usuable power and handles a lot better. The Bird is good but not on top, as is was in 1997, but has not developed since then :icon_evilgrin:

Maybe on paper. But the Bird is still on top for me.....then again I only paid $3100 for mine :icon_evilgrin:

Maybe on paper. But the Bird is still on top for me.....then again I only paid $3100 for mine :icon_evilgrin:

Agree, the Bird is STILL a very good looking and capable bike :icon_biggrin:

Rode my buddies 08 for the first time the other day. Power is ungodly. Suspension is awesome,sits pretty comfy and seems to not buzz as much as the older model. And for the first time in a while, I agree with Barry... :icon_stickpoke:

There actually is a point where the is just too much. For me anyway. One of the main reasons I sold my XX for a VFR was that I never even came close to the XX's potential. Rarely exceeded 130 mph and shifted most of the time @ 6000 rpm. Its much more entertaining to ride a lesser bike closer to its limit. If that makes any sense. Anybody who has rode an SV 650 will know what I mean. The VFR is down on power to pretty much anything 600cc and over nowadays, but its a blast to ride.

Congrats on the Busa...Its fuggin sick!!!

And for the first time in a while, I agree with Barry... :icon_stickpoke:

There actually is a point where the is just too much. For me anyway. One of the main reasons I sold my XX for a VFR was that I never even came close to the XX's potential. Rarely exceeded 130 mph and shifted most of the time @ 6000 rpm. Its much more entertaining to ride a lesser bike closer to its limit. If that makes any sense. Anybody who has rode an SV 650 will know what I mean. The VFR is down on power to pretty much anything 600cc and over nowadays, but its a blast to ride.

Sorry but I don't agree.... :icon_snooty:

I DO like the pure excess that the XX provides. I just meant to go up to a Busa from an XX is sorta like.....what's the point from a power perspective.....from overkill to extreme overkill?

But I owned an SV650 and have ridden a VFR 800 and I much prefer the XX to either one. The XX can still deliver pleny of slammin' explosive acceleration anytime I want it and gives me that rush....and I don't have to see 130mph to get it. The VFR and SV.....not even close in my book. I know what you mean though as I really like my SV1000N but still couldn't imagine not having an XX in the garage.

First off I want to say congrats on the new Busa.

When they first came out I liked the front half of the bike but the back just plan old looks like shit.

I have read that they are a great bike all around.

I have not ridden that many bikes to compare but the bird has more power than I need for everyday use and it handles better than I can ride it so the $4k I spent 2 years ago is perfect for me.

I would love to ride a SV 650 I hear they are a real hoot in the twisties. :icon_evilgrin:

I moved up from an 83 Honda CX650 to the bird so the difference was night and day. There are days where I miss my cx for an old cruiser it handled very good. I took it to the Dragon and wore the loop off the side stand and have pics that show a shower of sparks as I rail through a turn. There wheren't any chicken strips on those tires when I got home.

Now I have not been back to the Dragon with the bird but in WV I have to slow the bike down cause it scares me the speed I can carry in the turns one mistake and I am toast. :icon_redface:

For the most part these bike are all over kill for the street these days,but they sure are fun to ride. :icon_twisted:

I need to do a track day on a true sport bike. Like the 08 cbr 600RR that is a sweet bike.

I have ridden busa's and yes they handle great and are fast and blah blah blah (not a honda) and honestly from not only a consumer but a technician honda wins hands down in both reliability, maintenance, warranty (suzuki sucks at warranty claims for a tech) and just all out kewl factor. The XX is clean and not well alien like wavy body. Obviously this is my opinion. I have ridden a VFR 750 but not 800 and it was like eh cute but not wow nice. I have owned a few SV650's and THEY KICK ASS IN THE TWISTIES but once you hit the straights forget it, and again not a honda, dont have the reliability especially when you constantly wring thier necks to get it out of its own way. I have also owned 3 CBR1000F's and loved them. So personally not a fan of kawasuki, even though I grew up with yama ha ha ha's I will always prefer my Hon Daaa daaa daaa all day long. It is a shame that honda has not answered up to the Busa, FJR, and ZX14 which is why I went all out with performance, looks, and handling myself, but when they do (and in time they will) I am pretty sure it will totally kick ass in style, performance, reliabilty, and comfort which is what we all want in a bike like this in the first place!

I'm sure the Busa is not nearly as smooth as my Bird. My '05 Busa was a buzzzz saw. I was so happy to dump that vibrator. Maybe the '08 is better in that dept but I doubt it's near Bird quality. As far as the extra power.....it's almost irrelevant. The Bird is so excessively powered for everyday use, what the hell is an extra 50hp going to do for me? Wear out my tires a little quicker? If I was that into extra power and handling, I'd be going to the track and getting a new 1000RR.

I had a 2005 Busa and I didn't notice much if any buzz..Maybe yours had some issues/problems?

This time I'm totally impressed from the begining, and there is a great potential for more power at a low cost. The Busa will then be almost as powerful as many entry level Turbo bikes.

This is what I am being told as well, the Busa has great potential for gains and the aftermarket cost are much more reasonable than what you could ever think of doing to the bird... Honda sure needs to do something, I am with you not a 14 fan but that Busa sure catches my eye...

As soon as Josh's turbo bird (running at 6PSI or something... whatever the "street" boost level is) comes up on boost, it's right even with a new 'busa, if not just a HAIR faster... but then... I weigh 25# less than the guy on the 'busa... We switched, and the 'busa was as fast, but didn't FEEL nearly as fast as the turbo'd bird... The power was VERY linear on the 'busa...

I do like the AWESOME headlights and the looks of the 14, though... If I was to buy a new GT bike today, it'd be a 14...

Mike

I had a 2005 Busa and I didn't notice much if any buzz..Maybe yours had some issues/problems?

None that I could find or the shop could. Maybe someone added Starbucks to the oil? :icon_think:

I do like the AWESOME headlights and the looks of the 14, though...

:icon_shocked:

Not nessicarily the way they look, but if you've ridden one at night, they are absolutely awesome! Twice the light as the stock 'bird headlight, because there are (2) high beams and (2) low beams.

Mike

I've tried the 14 and was impressed, but not totally pleased performance wise, as with the Busa. The 14 is comfier in town at walking pace, but the chassi is too weak and bottoms out very easy when pushed.

I've tried the 14 and was impressed, but not totally pleased performance wise, as with the Busa. The 14 is comfier in town at walking pace, but the chassi is too weak and bottoms out very easy when pushed.

Yeah, it's sprung for a 130# japanese guy... I gather that it does have plenty of damping, though, so with the correct weight springs, it's GTG...

Mike

Yeah, it's sprung for a 130# japanese guy... I gather that it does have plenty of damping, though, so with the correct weight springs, it's GTG...

Mike

Don't know about the ones you guys rode, but mine is sprung just like the XX, soft in front and about right for a heavier guy out back. "Sprung for riding off a curb two-up", I believe was the memorable quote. Anyway, sag in the back was perfect for me (220lbs) right out of the box, and I was able to get the front close by jacking down the preload- though I should go with stiffer springs there.

If you were bottoming the suspension by "pushing it", you're either a freakin' hero, or someone had the settings all fucked up. One of the downsides of adjustable suspension is it's one more thing to get wrong ;)