CBR1100XX.org Forum

Clip-on handlebar alignment

Warp11XX

Maybe I'm just swapping bikes too much and getting a false sense of centering... :icon_rolleyes: I dunno...

How can you measure out or properly align and adjust the front end of a Bird? I had the front forks and tree completely disassembled to change the fork oil, dust seals, and head bearings. Since I put it back together, I keep feeling a sense of imbalance ie: my hands just don't quite feel like they are evenly placed like the bars are slightly out of square or slightly hi/low. I've loosened all the clamps and axle bolt and doublechecked that everything was "even" as an assembly and seated in properly per the service manual procedure. It looks fine too....it just feels a little off. There isn't really any adjustment available in the bars once the locating tab on the bars clamp seats into the top clamp. I've tried "tweaking" the handlebars to the side that feels off, but the front is so stiff it really doesn't flex much. What could possibly be out of line?

Did you adjust your rear chain recently? My bike feels a little off when the rear wheel gets out of straight. I usually do the "no hands at 70mph" to see if the bike runs true. The less you have to lean to go straight, the better you are. As for the front, did you double check the tension on the stem bearings? When those are out, it is amazing what all it feels like is wrong. When I did my forks, I left the bottom clamps and bridge piece loose and loaded the forks a tad w/just the top clamps tight. After a couple bounces I tightened everything. I had an issue once with that crossover piece. If you tighten it too soon, it is possible that the forks will be held in the wrong spot. I doubt you'll be able to visually find the problem, sometimes millimeters feel like miles. Be sure and bleed all the air out of both forks, perhaps the fluid in one of the forks aint settled yet?

Anyhow, this is all probably refresher common knowledge for you, but hey, I tried to help! :icon_slap:

Let me know if'n you find anything.

Thanks for the reply Shane. :icon_biggrin: I may try a a variation of what you're saying about tightening the top clamp first. It just seems like the bars are centered to the right ever so slightly ie: my left hand feels ahead and/or higher positioned than my right hand when I'm heading straight ahead. Bike tracks fine hands off the bars with me centered normally on the seat...no overall alignment problem...just the bars. It's so slight that I can't see it, only feel it.

This may sound goofy, but have you injured you left arm or shoulder recently? When my right shoulder is bothering me it feels as though the right bar is more forward than the left. If I can get everything to loosen up and relax it feels fine. Some days the shoulder just doesn't want to do that :icon_redface:

I'm thinking I really need to see a doctor.

This may sound goofy, but have you injured you left arm or shoulder recently? When my right shoulder is bothering me it feels as though the right bar is more forward than the left. If I can get everything to loosen up and relax it feels fine. Some days the shoulder just doesn't want to do that :icon_redface:

YEAH...a penis enlargement and mental health doctor.

YEAH...a penis enlargement and mental health doctor.

I'm going to the EYE doctor in an hour. Will that help?

Injury? Actually yes.... :icon_rolleyes: I've got major left wrist problems that I'm heading back for a second MRI on Friday...De Quervains tenosynovitis...or something like that. I'm pretty well lame with my left hand for the time being... :icon_frown: I've considered that as being part of the off center feeling, but sorta ruled it out after really concentrating on body position and grip angle. My Wing and CB-F both feel normal and straight, but it's a totally different setup on them.

Injury? Actually yes.... :icon_rolleyes: I've got major left wrist problems that I'm heading back for a second MRI on Friday...De Quervains tenosynovitis...or something like that. I'm pretty well lame with my left hand for the time being... :icon_frown: I've considered that as being part of the off center feeling, but sorta ruled it out after really concentrating on body position and grip angle. My Wing and CB-F both feel normal and straight, but it's a totally different setup on them.

I feel fine on the 900, but the F2 and XX (which have a similar seating position) feel like they are out of whack when my shoulder is bothering me.

I guess it's just me.... :icon_redface: Since the garage drop a few years ago, I've installed VFR bars and they felt fine for over a year. :icon_rolleyes: I didn't notice this odd off center feeling until this spring after a major service that included the whole fork and steering disassembly. I tried a "fix" last night and have the exact same feeling this morning. I'm starting to believe that there is so little room for error in the fork assembly that it must be my imagination. I loosened the bottom fork clamp and the top nut last night and tweaked everything heavily to the left. After I tightened everything back up, I still have the exact same alignment I had before. Two recent cortizone shots in my wrist and being bewitched by the Gold Wing is slowly taking it's toll I guess... :icon_rolleyes:

Thanks for the ideas guys... :icon_biggrin: Carry on...I'll follow slightly sideways..... :icon_lol: