CBR1100XX.org Forum

EXHAUST ?

BLACK-2003

I wouldn't mess with the stock cans.....just get rid of them. They're huge and weigh considerably more than aftermarket slip-ons or exhaust. Any slip-on will sound pretty good on the XX. I'd stay away from D&D and Two Bros b/c they are very loud....too loud for me. Personally I love Scorpion pipes. Had them on my '02 and now on my '98. They sound downright mean w/out being obnoxiously loud and they never need repacking.

Price isn't bad either. about $560 (may include shipping) here:

Scorpions XX

P0002552.jpg

What about Yoshimura? The slip on sets go for about $550, I think. Too loud? Also, if the rest of the engine is stock, and you upgrade to new cans, do you need to do the Power Commander thing?

Mike

What about Yoshimura? The slip on sets go for about $550, I think. Too loud? Also, if the rest of the engine is stock, and you upgrade to new cans, do you need to do the Power Commander thing?

Mike

yosh is a respectable brand, and no, you don't need to remap with most slip-ons. You can, but you shouldn't have to...

If you do decide to drill out the cans, I would go down the center first and consider NOT drilling the outer ring of pretend holes.

I've got a 4 into 1 Yosh RS-3 system that burbles nicely at lower RPMs but has a nice howl above 6000. It has over 30K of mostly around town miles and a dozen or so track days. Still sounds as good as the day I bought it. The slip-ons will probably last even longer.

LOL just like oil and tires, exhaust is another very opinionated subject. The first XX I ever rode was a 2001 with Two-Brothers and it was the sweetest sounding bike I'd ever heard. I got my 2002 XX with Two-Brothers and to this day love the deep musclecar rumble those pipes give a bike. The only ones that have come close to that sound to me have been Micron. D&D way too loud for my tastes. You'll have to try and hear a few before you figure out what you like in the sound and tone of aftermarket pipes. I like Two Brothers enough that I put a set of M5 Carbons on my ZX-14. I've also heard them on a K1200S and a FJR1300 and both sounded absolutely badass.

I'm also not a fan of drilling the stock cans. The few I've heard (and it may be that they didn't do something right, I don't know) have sounded tinny and buzzy, but didn't sound at all "performance enhanced". I'd hold on to the stockers to sell later, should you part with your XX, and go for some slip-ons or a full system, though I think with a full system you definitely need to do the Power Commander remap.

I have 2-Bros on my '97 XX and loved the sound. They are getting a bit loud and need repacking. Ironically I just called 2-Bros this morning to order the packing kits. I've had them for about 6 years so I guess its about time.

Speaking of exhaust, who all has scorpions and how do you like them? I'm thinking of getting a set for jackie's bike.

I have 2-Bros on my '97 XX and loved the sound. They are getting a bit loud and need repacking. Ironically I just called 2-Bros this morning to order the packing kits. I've had them for about 6 years so I guess its about time.

Speaking of exhaust, who all has scorpions and how do you like them? I'm thinking of getting a set for jackie's bike.

I have Scorpions on mine. Love them. Sound awesome. Not overly loud either but very deep rumble.

LOL just like oil and tires, exhaust is another very opinionated subject. The first XX I ever rode was a 2001 with Two-Brothers and it was the sweetest sounding bike I'd ever heard. I got my 2002 XX with Two-Brothers and to this day love the deep musclecar rumble those pipes give a bike.

+1

I LOVE the sound of the Two Bro's pipes... :icon_biggrin:

You don't have to remap but I got a PCIII anyway and got a custom dyno tune. Probably didn't need to though. I've heard Yoshi on one other XX. Not bad but thought the Scorpions sounded better.

I wonder who's that was? :icon_whistle:

LOL just like oil and tires, exhaust is another very opinionated subject.

This is the truth^ everybody has their favorites and it prolly is whats currently on their bike. :icon_biggrin:

I have Scorpions on mine. Love them. Sound awesome. Not overly loud either but very deep rumble.

Do you own stock in Scorpion Howie? :icon_lol:

Anything other than stock is going to have a different sound like said above the D&D are clearly the loudest slip-ons out there for the XX so if your into that sort of thing...

The other makes all sound eceptionally well and I have not heard one that I would steer clear of outside the D&D's (For my tastes) though.

I'm also not a fan of drilling the stock cans. The few I've heard (and it may be that they didn't do something right, I don't know) have sounded tinny and buzzy, but didn't sound at all "performance enhanced". I'd hold on to the stockers to sell later, should you part with your XX, and go for some slip-ons or a full system, though I think with a full system you definitely need to do the Power Commander remap.

My RS-3 is a full system with no P/C and runs great except it still has the same flat spot around 3500 rpm that it had with the stock cans. Didn't even know I had the flat spot until I saw it on the dyno sheet. 138 HP at the rear wheel with 26K showing on the clock.

You don't have to remap but I got a PCIII anyway and got a custom dyno tune. Probably didn't need to though. I've heard Yoshi on one other XX. Not bad but thought the Scorpions sounded better.

I wonder who's that was? :icon_whistle:

Can't remember.....some ghetto looking titanium XX if I remember right..... :icon_think:

In answer to your question, you can drill the stock cans and get a deeper richer sound for little or no money.

Someone on here powder coated them for a great look too.

To me those sound like shit compared to a good set of aftermarkets. Plus the stock pipes are the size and weight of boat anchors. They look great on my shelf in the garage!

In answer to your question, you can drill the stock cans and get a deeper richer sound for little or no money.

That just "drilled" it home for me. They sound like a chainsaw or something. That didn't sound deep and power filled like most after market pipes. That's exactly the sound I'd be trying to avoid, high pitched and buzzy.

My RS-3 is a full system with no P/C and runs great except it still has the same flat spot around 3500 rpm that it had with the stock cans. Didn't even know I had the flat spot until I saw it on the dyno sheet. 138 HP at the rear wheel with 26K showing on the clock.

Toss a PC on there and get it mapped right and you'll get rid of that flat spot.

That just "drilled" it home for me. They sound like a chainsaw or something. That didn't sound deep and power filled like most after market pipes. That's exactly the sound I'd be trying to avoid, high pitched and buzzy.

Toss a PC on there and get it mapped right and you'll get rid of that flat spot.

Ya, I know, but then I'll have a flat spot in my wallet. :icon_biggrin:

It's not bothering me enough to want to spend the money. If I do get a P/C, I'll be more interested in leaning-out for more mileage.

Can't remember.....some ghetto looking titanium XX if I remember right..... :icon_think:

Ghetto??? :icon_eek:

That's it your off the Christmas card list...and I'm never eating pizza with you at V.V. :icon_lol:

Ghetto??? :icon_eek:

That's it your off the Christmas card list...and I'm never eating pizza with you at V.V. :icon_lol:

We need to get out and ride again of these weekends!

email me:

HowieLux@gmail.com

I think these Scorpions might be louder :icon_think: :icon_surprised:

2858936_24.jpg,

2858936_22.jpg,

2858936_21.jpg,

2858936_14.jpg,

2858936_13.jpg,

2858936_10.jpg,

2858936_9.jpg,

2858936_6.jpg,

2858936_5.jpg,

2858936_2.jpg

:icon_biggrin:

• 2 weeks later...

I would also say to look at blue flame. I got a stainless dual oval set and they are louder, but not too loud. Another great feature of them is the quick change baffels. You have the choice of all four open, top two baffeled, lower two baffeled, or all baffeled. If you are looking to hear some of the pipes on a blackbird, try this site. Blackbird Exhaust sounds