CBR1100XX.org Forum

Single-sided swingarm,,,

TexasDawg

Here is my VFR with the 2-Bros left hand exhaust.

93VFR.jpg

Love the older white VFR's. '93?

Yep, it's a 1993. It was a beautiful bike. It broke my heart to sell that thing. and the sound of that V4 with the 2-Bros... wow!!!

I see the bike in the summer, the guy that bought it does some consulting in our building. Its still pretty much spotless.

I'm not sure I have the attention span to do it to my XX as well.

Bad as Alan. The Wing has one meaty swingarm!

I bet it's loud too!

NS! We need a sound clip of that beast.

I'm not sure I have the attention span to do it to my XX as well.

Bad as Alan. The Wing has one meaty swingarm!

I bet it's loud too!

NS! We need a sound clip of that beast.

It's actually harsh and irritating with no resonators. It will be mondo-fucking-cool, though, when I put the carbon fiber D&D cans on it. I just have to gin up some exhaust hangers. Nothing like a project that will never die. I'm at 5+ years now....

Thanks for the compliments guys. I just wish it was as finished as it appears in the photo.

Okay, here's the scoop......

It's pretty simple as for parts......just a lot of figuring out how to blend them all together. My goal is to produce a custom that looks factory. I want something that someone who doesn't know anything about bikes has no idea that this is 4 different bikes meshed together.

It all started out with the swingarm. As stated earlier, it's from a '95 VFR 750 and the wheel is from a VFR800. I was initially going to do an underseat exhaust in the stock tail and route the exhaust up the side similar to the Ducati, but then the 600rr came out and I liked how the tail had a "lighter", more streamlined, modern look to it. The way the exhaust was routed fit nicely with the VFR swingarm as well. Everything kind of tucked in together like it was meant to be. I started this project in mid '03, before the 1000rr was even in existence, so it was tough to even find the parts. Fortunately, I knew a guy that bought wrecks and parted them on ebay. He lent me the parts to try and it grew from there. When the 1000rr came out I had thought about using it's tail instead, but decided that I liked how the 600rr tail extended all the way up to the tank instead of just hanging off the rear of the subframe. I thought it made a nice transition from the bulkiness of the XX front to the minimalist rear of the 600rr. Of course, the addition of the tail led to a whole bunch of projects to make it all work.

The lower fairing/bellypan is a combination of XX lowers and 600rr belly. The seat is a combination of XX front, where it meets the tank, and the rest is the 600rr. The pillion seat is stock and I have a Honda cowl for it since I don't carry passengers very often. The exhaust is going to be a custom job consisting of and aftermarket 1000rr canister and custom piping. In the photo, the stock 600rr exhaust is in place, but I'm obviously not going to use it due to lack of flow.

The front fender shown is part RC51 and part XX, but it didn't come out very nice. It looks good in the photo, but looks like shit in person. I've got a complete zx-12 front that I'm using now instead. I figure if I'm going that far on the rear, I might as well do a USD fork as well. I just need to find an aftermarket 12 front wheel that looks good with the Viffer rear.

Like I said, the bike is mostly stock parts from different bikes with most of the "custom" work unseen in the bracketry that meshes it all together.

Life hasn't allowed me to devote much time to it, but hopefully I'll get some time to finish it this year. I've got too many other projects going and a mostly stock 2000 XX to ride, so it's hard to find time to tinker on it. This started out in hopes of having a more up to date looking XX, but by the time I finish it, it'll probably look outdated again.

I've really got to hand it to guys like Stan, Jeff and Alan that have taken their ideas and made them a reality as I know how much time and effort goes into projects like that. My hat's off to you guys. :icon_thumbsup: Now I just need to get out there and put some more time into it.

Now, who was it that had the custom upper with the dual headlights for sale???? :icon_evilgrin::icon_biggrin:

I've got too many other projects going and a mostly stock 2000 XX to ride, so it's hard to find time to tinker on it.

So, take that 2000 XX and bring your ass to OzarXX. Both Stan and I will be there so we can chew the fat about the mods.

Sweet!

I've been tinkering with a similar project on my '97 for quite awhile, but haven't had time to work on it much lately.

I went with a '95 VFR swingarm since the linkage on the '90-'92 was so much different than the XX's. The biggest obstacle of the whole project is the fact that the XX shock mounts dead center on the frame and the VFR is offset to the left. This makes for some funky linkage no matter which Viffer swingarm you use.

I'm also doing a few other mods along with the swingarm so it's gotten a little overwhelming.

567169ab.jpg

I'm looking forward to seeing yours when it's completed. Keep at it. :icon_thumbsup:

Is that how it really is.. or "Photoshop" of how you'd like it.

Very nice either way, concept or for real.

• 3 weeks later...

It's been awhile and I have made some progress. Making the linkage was more work than I thought it was gonna' be, but it seems to have turned out good so far. If I was to do it over I would use a '94-'97 swingarm due to simpler linkage setup. The last picture is how it sits today. I have to make a brake line, modify a Blackbird hugger to fit, make a hi-mount exhaust hanger and get a midpipe made, rebuild the brake caliper and paint, install the Veypor, and take it all apart to and reinstall it to make sure nothings missed, and then it should be road ready. Hope it makes it past the end of the driveway,,,

post-2908-1210272990.jpg

post-2908-1210272993.jpg

post-2908-1210272994.jpg

post-2908-1210272996.jpg

post-2908-1210272997.jpg

post-2908-1210272998.jpg

post-2908-1210272999.jpg

post-2908-1210273003.jpg

post-2908-1210273024.jpg

post-2908-1210273045.jpg

post-2908-1210273062.jpg

I think I came just a little in my pants..... :icon_redface:

May I make a suggestion?

Remove the spring from the shock to prove the travel. Some thing about what I am seeing and what I have tried in the past make me wonder if it will move all the shock travel.

Might just be the angle of the camera.

Wonderful mill work.

Please let me make a suggestion on some wheels and exhaust for your Honda. I saw these on a Honda today while I was getting a rear tire…….. Just a suggestion.

:icon_barf:

post-145-1210277969.jpg

post-145-1210277985.jpg

post-145-1210278003.jpg

Off topic, but apparently someone on this site has done an ABS conversion to their 'bird using VFR800 donor parts.

I've searched but can't find it - can anyone help?

Thanks

Jezzzz Jason way to make me feel like a girlly-man. Thought I was doing well putting VFR bars on last weekend..

Most excellent imagination and execution!!!

:icon_surrender::icon_hail:

In my mind lives the "InterceXXtor"

post-1373-1210559145.jpg

Nice work on your project..

My palms are itching to work with some metal again..

Pete,

Having seen your last exhaust system, do you think this is wise?

wHatS That suppose to mean..Mack.... I liked my old exhaust...

My new idea will involve hacking up my old erions and bullshitting a renegade look alike..

Although I will need a bike first....

sorry for the highjack...

Off topic, but apparently someone on this site has done an ABS conversion to their 'bird using VFR800 donor parts.

I've searched but can't find it - can anyone help?

Thanks

I've never heard of anyone doing it, but I hope they have. If I could do that, it would solidify my decision to stay with my 'bird.

I've never heard of anyone doing it, but I hope they have. If I could do that, it would solidify my decision to stay with my 'bird.

I intend to embark along that very path and am looking out for the bits.

I’ll post up my experience with the conversion once it happens (don’t hold your breath, I’m not the quickest of fiddlers :icon_evilgrin:;) ).

intercexxtor sounds too much like child molestor or some perverted name... not that anyone asked me but yeah....

hOw about I post the dim's here just to see if your looking

2' 4 1/2" for the nutted one

and the cable is 2' 9"

2' 3 1/4 " for the slip nutted one

and the cable is 2' 9" also

Let see if you find it :icon_twisted: