CBR1100XX.org Forum

Bike storage? Riding couple times a month in winter

BarryG

Plan on riding thru the winter but we do get snow here in VA here and there and some colds spells to the point where it is possible that I could go up to 1 month without riding at all......but hopefully not.

I really don't want to go thru the whole storage route of removing the battery, plugs..etc. If I know I'm not gonna be on it for a month at worst....can I still go out and uncover the bike, start it up once a week and let it run for 5 minutes or so? Or does that do nothing as far as keeping the battery charged? I keep the bike covered outside.

Thanks,

Barry

Idling for 5 minutes is not going to charge you battery,not much current flowing at slow engine speed.Engine oil won`t reach operating temperature,moisture in the engine ,,etc,,,don`t do it.

You will not have a problem with starting the bike after 1 month or so unless battery is already weak/old or there is alarm on the bike.

I keep my bike outside most of the time,even in the winter ( I like to have bike within hands reach just in case ) ,never had problem with starting even after periods of unuse up to 2 months.

Keep the fuel tank full,that is all.

I agree, Go out and purchase the Sta-Bil from an auto parts store, stop for gas on the way home, add the Sta-Bil and gas then head on home. I would then change the oil, put a good coat of wax on all exposed metal and paint, then leaving the battery in the bike, unhook the neg cable and hook up a charger.

Want to go for a ride in a month or so, just hook up the neg battery cable and go.

I really don't want to go thru the whole storage route of removing the battery,

I was living in Wisconsin in 1999 way back then I had a CBR 1000f and went

the not removing the battery route, If it gets really cold where you are at

you might consider pulling it, I tryed to start mine after a particularly cold

spell and heard a loud pop then no juice, found out the side of the battery

case had blown out. :shock:

What DBLXX said is fine Virginia weather.

Where are you in VA? I know the XXorcist is here in Richmond with me, although we haven't gotten together. He sounds like he has far more free time than I do (lucky bastard!).

If you're close, I have some fuel stabilizor that I'll share. Also fill up the tank. That lessens the opportunity for water go get in there.

As for pulling the battery, it makes sense if we are going to have a winter like we did last year.

I never do much if anything for winter. Granted OK winters arent as harsh as what you get up further north. At the most I would keep the tank full and add stabilizer as has been suggested. I do ride during the winter but there are times when the bike sits for a month. I have never had a problem starting it. I have a battery tender now which is a good investment if you are concerned about your battery. Just plug it in and it will maintain your battery for you.

In addition to what others said, a thinner oil really helps starting in the freezing cold. Try a 5w30 for the winter if it sits outside. It makes a huge difference when cranking over.

Also, if you don't remove the battery, at least throw the charger on it for a while before you try to start it.

Steve

What DBLXX said is fine Virginia weather.

Where are you in VA? I thow the XXorcist is here in Richmond with me, although we haven't gotten together. He sounds like he has far more free time than I do (lucky bastard!).

If you're close, I have some fuel stabilizor that I'll share. Also fill up the tank. That lessens the opportunity for water go get in there.

As for pulling the battery, it makes sense if we are going to have a winter like we did last year.

I'm in Mclean, VA......a few hours from Richmond I think...bu thanks for the offer. Just have to pay attention to the forecasts.....if we get hit w/ the nasty winter like last year.....will most likely be removing the battreee!

Please....no more bleeezzzards!

Buy a Battery Tender. best invention for bikes. hook it up and forget it.

A fully charged battery won't freeze. A dead one will at 32 F.

I don't even do the Sta-bil, I just stick the exausts out the basement and run once a month to get fresh fuel in the carbs. I do run it till warm.

I don't even do the Sta-bil, I just stick the exausts out the basement and run once a month to get fresh fuel in the carbs. I do run it till warm.

Doing this causes condensation to occure and not only in the motor, but also in the fuel tank. Not good.

Get the Sta-Bil with a full tank of gas, change the oil, "Do Not use a 30wgt or less oil" clean and wax the bike, and then charge the battery once or twice a month during storage.

Reason for the oil warning. Your 20w/30w oils are not suited for use in the XX's motor. Most of these oils have an API label stating that they are energy efficient. This means that the oil is very thin and it is missing zinc. Why is zinc important, and why is it missing? It's needed to help keep metal parts from rubbing together, in an auto engine this is not so important, you do not have the bearing tolerances or the rpm's. Why is it missing? because as the oil burns the zinc does not, it ends up coating the catalitic converter, so the government said it must go.