CBR1100XX.org Forum

Sprocket Changes

XX

What changes have you made to your front or rear sprockets?  

48 members have voted

1. 1.

• No changes for me thank you
    • Front sprocket (only) down one tooth
    • Rear sprocket (only) down one tooth
    • Rear sprocket (only) up one tooth
    • Front sprocket down 1, Rear sprocket up 1
    • Front sprocket down 1, Rear sprocket up 2
    • Front sprocket down 1, Rear sprocket up 3
    • Front sprocket down 1, Rear sprocket down 1
    • I've changed my sprockets and either have forgotten or have gone up and/or down more than listed

I like this poll stuff.... so here's another...

front sprocket changes..

rear sprocket changes...

and combos...

Dropped one tooth on the front. More torque indeed, but I'm not as impressed as other reactions I've read. 2nd gear wheelies are bragged about..........I haven't had one yet. (sound like a woman talking about orgasms.) :shock:

Are you 2nd gear wheelie boys clutching it up, or merely rolling on?

All of the above Tim!

Bounce, Rollon and Clutch it depends on where I'm at and whats going on around me!

And it does make a HUGE difference! :grin: :grin:

BTW I went up 3t on the rear. :grin:

Hey guys, I just got my bike back fromthe shop 2 days ago. I had them replace the chain (DID 530 ZVM) and install a new front sprocket (16 tooth). I agreee with TOXXIC on this one: While the change is much better for sprited riding, and the bike seems to always be in it's hp/trq range I haven't seen or tried any of the 2nd gear wheelies I've heard others mention. 1st gear roll on wheelies are easier and the bike pulls like 2nd gear wheelies are more possible now with the new gearing changes. More testing will need to be done I guess, but so far so good. I also added Jims speedo recal unit the same day I got it back from the shop and I noticed that when I rode past of of those stationary radar machines, I had the needle at 75mph, but the machine read only 68mph. I set the unit for 14% error and what's even more weird about this is that the same day after passing the radar machine, I actually got pulled over by a cop (for speeding). He said he pegged me doing 76 mph, and I recall my speedo saying about 75mph at that time. So I believe now that the cops radar was probably correct and that machine incorrect. And if you must know, YES I got the ticket $149.00.........Cops suck ASS!!

Are you 2nd gear wheelie boys clutching it up, or merely rolling on?

Here's a story about one unexpected wheelie i got in second (44 teeth in rear).

I was crusing along at 35-40mph (in third gear) on a city street. As i'm coming up to a street light, it turns yellow. I downshift to 2nd gear and hammer it. Micron's get loud, birds starts taking off. Mid-way through the intersection (at about 4500rpm's) the front wheel comes off the ground (completely unexpected) and start lifting up, up, up. It was a beautiful thing :) .

Needed a cigarette after that one :wink: .

1 down in front is equal to 3 up in the rear.

I went with 1 down in front & 1 up in rear = 4 tooth difference.

Power wheelies in first & second, clutch wheelies in third no problem.

Thoes who have talked about wheelies in 4th - 6th gears (I'm talking wheelies, not getting the frt. off the ground an inch hitting 6th @ 135) - I still need to see it to believe it.

Are you shore yore front spawkit ain't a lil diffrunt too?

Pretty sure. I am the second owner though.

It must be the jetting and exhaust helping out.

Either that or I just hit it right.

TOXXIC:

"Just consider it a $149.00 speedometer calibration!"

I can see you have jokes today huh? Your too funny....NOT!

I wasn't really pissed with the cop or whatever cause I really was doing the speed he clocked me doing, so I was indeed in the wrong I'l admit.

I have issues with cops though like you wouldn't believe. It's like driving 76mph in a 60 mph zone is what kind of a crime? I didn't see any harm in it, no children playing, no folks crossing the street, no schools up ahead...nothing but an open country road...nothing to run into except maybe a tree and even then the difference in speed would probably not have meant a better outcome for me, cause a tree is still tree. I gues I'm the type that really think you should get a ticket for doing something serious...as in a crime. Speeding tickets are just ways for states to generate revenue...period!! Cops are always crying about how they "just trying to do their jobs" and all that garbadge...whatever. This dumb fuck actually started mentioning how COOL my bike looks with all it's mods and who makes it and the whole 9.

The only people that like cops are other cops......

Side notes:

I installed the Polished Aluminum frame sliders I got from Rick, THEY RULE!

I got the SCHUBERTH helmet from Moto-Plus (took 5 weeks) and I've riden with it twice already. The Helmet is great but I don't know why they cost almost $425 here in the states cause they don't seem to be worth that much money (IMHO) but I think $300 is a fair price (what I paid total).

I don't like that you have to open the helmet up in order to put it on. When it's closed the opening is too small to fit over my head (size medium). So that's kinda gay! I also don't care much for the sun visor either, cause it doesn't come down far enough for my liking. Another 1/2 inch would be great. So that makes the visor gay as well.

I guess your mostly paying for all the features that it has. It's also light weight, lighter than my SHOEI at least so that's cool. Noise wise it's about the same though.

See Ya,

Phil

I don't like that you have to open the helmet up in order to put it on.

You'll like it a lot when you crash face-first and this feature keeps it from flipping up. A friend of mine is still getting reconstructive surgeries from her generic Arai moving up enough to allow a car mirror to pulverize her jaw. Not going to happen in the Schuberth.

You also get used to the sun shade. I wanted it lower and nearly made one myself, but then after a while I got used to it.

Phil,

I really do understand your anger, I was written a $250.00 ticket by a Park Ranger in January.

You are 100% correct, tickets are merely revenue generators. The State of Washington is attempting to increase the standard fine of $86.00, for Rules of the Road violations, to $102.00. This change would mean a 304% increase over the fines of the early 1980's!!

Luckily speeding is not a crime in Washington, merely an infraction.

I've been considering the helmet, but have been skeptical of the small sun visor. Thanks for the write up.

but have been skeptical of the small sun visor.

Don't be; it works. It keeps the bright areas shaded and the instruments/mirrors unshaded. Once I got past THINKING that was bad, I realized it's perfect. I was a little peeved at first until I actually used it for a while.

With 11,000 mile on your chain & spkts. I would guess the chain has streatched a bit by now - so if you were to do nothine else except change the frt. spkt. to 1 tooth lower, you will most likely have to adjust your rear axle all the way to the rear to take up the chain slack.

This will limit the amount of adjustment you have for the future, will increase your wheelbase (which will effect handling), ect.

I would suggest changing all three items at the same time, to avoid having to do the job again when you reach the limit of your chain adjustment.

Please note: If you are going to drop one tooth up front, and not change the rear (say by going up one in the rear) then when you order your chain, make sure you get the proper lenght chain! You may want to drop a link or two to make up for the smaller sprocket.

Don't drop a link just for one tooth up front--it won't fit. Remember that "a link" is actually quite big since you end up removing a center piece and a set of sideplates.

As far as the rear sprocket--it is extremely tough and doesn't need to be changed every time. I know this is counter to everything we're always told, but at 22k my first sprocket had zero visible wear. I changed it anyway, since I had bought one, but kept it and will re-use it. The second one has 25k now with no wear.

I went down 1 tooth in the front at about 14k without a new chain or new rear sprocket. Only done about 2k so far on it, and haven't noticed any noise, or unusual wear.

I would do it again if given the choice, even though i'll probably need a new chain at about 18-20k and most would change their front sprocket then.