CBR1100XX.org Forum

Braided brake lines - complete LBS system

Warp11XX

Mike,

Cheaper alternative is to de-link and get Galfer lines from CycleBrakes. I have Galfers on my 900 and love their performance as well. They aren't as "pretty" as the HEL lines, but are functionally AWESOME! Checking local suppliers has led me to some deals as well. A local shop here can do the lines on a custom basis, but can't get the exact replacement plumbing that makes the HEL's work really well. You could simply adapt standard fittings and use clips/clamps/ties where needed to fit them to your CBR. Just a thought.... :icon_biggrin: Good luck!

Cheaper alternative is to de-link and get Galfer lines from CycleBrakes. I have Galfers on my 900 and love their performance as well. They aren't as "pretty" as the HEL lines, but are functionally AWESOME! Checking local suppliers has led me to some deals as well. A local shop here can do the lines on a custom basis, but can't get the exact replacement plumbing that makes the HEL's work really well. You could simply adapt standard fittings and use clips/clamps/ties where needed to fit them to your CBR. Just a thought.... :icon_biggrin: Good luck!

That's a thought, but you know what they say....You get what you pay for. I might save a couple hundred and end up wishing I just bought the HEL system and saved myself the aggravation.

Sometimes saving money has hidden costs. :icon_whistle:

Bingo! :icon_thumbsup: You won't ever like dropping the coin on Hel lines, but you won't be sorry either. It gives a HUGE increase in available stopping pressure, fits well, and looks really, really nice when installed. Just prepare yourself to spend most of a day installing and bleeding the brake system on the Bird...10 lines w/clutch...DAYYUM :icon_biggrin: .

I like the Spiegler lines, myself. They make a complete kit.

Mostly +1 on the Spieler lines. I have them on my bird as well. The thing I don't like about them is that they are fully braided end to end. I would have liked to kept the steel along the frame, then connect the braided to the steel at the wheels/forks/swing arm. I also don't have the right holders for the braided lines where they come up the forks and connect to the master cylinder.

But quality and finish are great. I paid $389 last year on a group buy from Cogent Dynamics Motorsports. You can send a note to Joyce Tannenbaum at raceparts@motocd.com

*** Their Info ***

Joyce Tannenbaum

Cogent Dynamics Motorsports

MotoCD Customer Service

www.motocd.com

Goodridge USA wouldn't even call me back when I was shopping for lines...so I say "fuck em!"... :icon_thumbsdown:

I had a set of the Goodridge lines on my '98. They were fantastic. SS banjos, & came with all the washers you need to replace the used ones. My only grpe was the way the one from the rear master to the rear brake ran, but they may have changed that in the last 10 years.

I have a full set of Goodridge lines plus clutch from Jaws. It took five hours to install and needed a "special" bleeding tool. All in all it's a great improvement, but it was spendy. I didn't do the install. EBC HH pads, Motul 5.1 Hydraulic fluids. 143,500 kms. '02

• 2 months later...

Well, I'm going to order my brake lines and clutch line today from HEL Performance. Their web page was buggy and didn't have photos showing what my color options would look like, and I asked in an e-mail about a discount for buying both kits at one time.

Here is their reply....

Good morning _____, attached is a line color chart and the color of our banjo's. The blocks that you kit needs do not come in color thou. Our 10-line kit is $490.00 and all of October it is 10% off or $441.00 same with the clutch line it's regularly $49.00 and it is $44.10 so our total is $485.10 with free shipping to VA. Hope this helps, any other questions just let me know. Deb

I responded....

Thanks for the images.

For some reason, the online web page won't let me put the clutch kit into the online basket for ordering. So I'll put the information in this e-mail. Please respond with an invoice and instructions on how to send payment.

HONDA CBR1100XX - 1999 - Linked Brake System

ITEM 1 -- HEL-CBS -- CBS Kit - Carbolook Hose; Black Fittings -- QTY 1

* Webpage says this is an 11-line system - FYI

ITEM 2 -- HEL Performance Clutch Line Kit -- Carbolook Hose; Black Fittings -- QTY 1

SHIP TO: ***

BILL TO: ***

I look forward to your reply.

I'll let you know what the total comes out to since they supposedly are running a deal.

*EDIT*

1-10 line kit for a 1999 Honda CBR1100XX CARBO lines/ with BLACK ends 1-clutch line for a 1999 Honda CBR1100XX CARBO lines/ with BLACK ends free shipping to VA.

$485.10 total.

Not bad.

Just FYI, I'm 95% through creating and installing a custom line set for my 99 VFR800. I'm doing my 'bird next (virtually identical setup). Having custom lines built to keep the LBS functionality costs $210 including shipping for all lines including the clutch line.

I replaced the various front-to-back lines with single solid SS lines.

(All Banjo bolts are 10mm x 1.25 and the 2 screw connectors are 10mm x 1.0 in case you are interested. )

Pics here

Just FYI, I'm 95% through creating and installing a custom line set for my 99 VFR800. I'm doing my 'bird next (virtually identical setup). Having custom lines built to keep the LBS functionality costs $210 including shipping for all lines including the clutch line.

(All Banjo bolts are 10mm x 1.25 and the 2 screw connectors are 10mm x 1.0 in case you are interested. )

Pics here

Am very interested in how this turns out considering a HEL kit is $720 AUD + shipping just for the brake lines :icon_eek:

Here is the guy's info I have been talking to regarding lines for my 08 Zx14. I went to the USA Hel website and asked what the difference was in the F, O, and S kits where. This is the fellow that responded. Seemed pretty straight up.

Thank you,

Jim

moto-heaven

TECH LINE 814-489-3379

Toll Free Order Line 1-877-416-0969

www.moto-heaven.com

www.thrustcompany.com

www.helbrakelines.com

www.xesracingleathers.com

Kinley

Pics here

Am very interested in how this turns out considering a HEL kit is $720 AUD + shipping just for the brake lines :icon_eek:

One of the lines that I got has a small leak and the supplier is replacing it at his cost, everything else is on and bled. as soon as I get the final line on and everything works, then I'll post all the details.