CBR1100XX.org Forum

After-market wheels

jon haney

I finally decided to blow my work bonus this year on some Dy-mag wheels for my bird. I commute, tour, and do track days with this bike. I know the wheels are supposed to make the bike handle better, but my question is: Will I need to make any suspension adjustments or changes?

I finally decided to blow my work bonus this year on some Dy-mag wheels for my bird. I commute, tour, and do track days with this bike. I know the wheels are supposed to make the bike handle better, but my question is: Will I need to make any suspension adjustments or changes?

When I was thinking about having my forks revalved and rear shock rebuilt on my '97 XX in anticipation of putting on Carozzerria's, the techs at Race Tech told me that the approximately 3.5 lb and 5 lb weight savings in each wheel wouldn't be enough to require it to be factored into the equation for appropriate damping and springing. Wasn't sure I bought that.

But . . .

I bought my '03 and got the Carozzerrias for that instead, shortly after which I did the Traxxion AK-20 upgrade up front and Penske in the rear. Again -- in setting it up, the folks at Traxxion didn't think it was significant enough to add that into their equations -- so far as I am aware, that is.

+1

The weight savings on the wheels isn't enough to warrant spring or damping changes, but the improvement in handling from the lighter wheels is drastic.

Dammit Chris -- that avatar continues to break me up. I saw that posted as having been copped from a Busa site -- a pic of Rossi* someone obviously PhotoShopped. Still, for some reason, it's funnier when I see it in your avatar. You coming out to Hookers/TBME/whatever the F it's gonna be called this year?? Kinda looks like a big turnout for some great pass strafing. And we'd all like to see how that ZX holds up in the Sierra passes -- kinda as insurance in case Redbird decides to come out and crash his. (You know those Illinois guys and their penchant for crashing out here. :icon_rolleyes: )

*That talented little elf with HUGE balls probably gets more high end poontang than we'd know what to do with, but that's another story.

Not sure if anyone else in the forum has dymags, but I have full carbon 3 spoke dymag wheels on my bird. I did take it to another level with a scotts/ohlins damper, ohlins rear shock, and ohlins forks. Additionally I changed the brakes out and removed the entire linked brakes changing both front and rear calipers to basically the exact same brakes on all the liter hondas that are none radial and went with ABE petal rotors in the front and galfer in the rear. The wheels alone had huge improvements in acceleration, handling, it makes the bike feel like its ready for the track. At the time I also had race tech forks and shock re done and I added pre load adjusting caps but wasnt all that happy with the handling, front still dove hard and the rear was too soft. Since yours is a 99 I recommend doing all galfer or ebc rotors to lower the rolling mass even more, besides you will get more out of your stock wheels if you sell them with the rotors and if your spending 4k on wheels whats 500 more for rotors n pads!

I have gold valves & springs in the front fork and a much stiffer spring for the stock rear shock. Complete de-link with bigger master cylinder was finished last week. I'll probably do the brake rotors next year. A few small improvements each winter help me to fight the urge to buy a new bike. That and the payment on my wife's new car.

I didn't have to spend $4K on the wheels. I went with the magnesium/carbon combo wheels and a friend hooked me up with a guy in Texas that made me a deal I couldn't refuse. $2300 for the set w/sprocket. Yes, they are new. I should have them by the end of March.