CBR1100XX.org Forum

F'n POS Dunlop D220

camell0ndosequis

In a pinch .. i had a rear installed right before a Labor Day trip. Not even 4k miles later and its wayyy past the wear indicators, and just beginning to show the threads. :mad: :mad: And right before another trip!! I'm sorry, but this is my last Dunlop I'll ever buy for DosEquis!

On the bright side, I did have my local shop order a set Avons about 4 weeks ago ... and got 'em installed today! CO here I come!!

I have 6,100 miles on my D-220's and they are still in OK shape. I can easily get another 1000+ miles out of them. I am not an "aggressive" rider, but they have served me well; including wet weather riding. No complaints here.

I've tried a grunch of tires in the past 60,000 miles on Night Train, and none have given me the cornering confidence and grip that the D220s did. Complete and totally AWESOME tire in every respect except one.... treadlife! My rear D220 was completely toast at 4500 miles. If I could get these tires for a song, I'd ride on the D220s exclusively. But the way I ride, I can't afford their abbreviated treadlife. :evil:

Yes D220 is a P.O.S.I`ve been warning people about this so called tire since August 2002 when my Dunlop did not make back home from our annual Chicago -left coast -Chicago trip.What the F**cking joke.

I had to buy new tire in Spearfish S.D. just to make home.

Dealer had one tire in 180/55 size,yes it was another Dunlop -207 ZR.

On positive side I was in and out of dealership in less then one hour.

Totally unthinkable around here.

Second bike on the trip (YZF 1000) was wearing 100x,Michelin was less then half way worn when D220 was toast.Similar bikes,same loads,same speeds,huge difference in tire quality.I`m still mad about this Dunlop experience . I had been using Michelins for years ,I was happy with 208GP on the track,thought stret Dunlops are nice too.

I was wrong ,they are junk.

I've got about 3,500 miles on the 220 on the back of the bird. The tread is 3/4 gone. I'll probably get about 1500 miles out of it and order an AVON for the rear. I don't really like it, it corners good, but when I get on the gas hard in first, it spins up real easy.

• 3 weeks later...

Similar experience here - Dunlop D220 rear lasted 5000km LESS than the BT020.

Still have the EXTREMELY CUPPED 220 Font on the bike.

So much for "yes Dunlops used to cup but they sorted that out on the 220" from the dealers [when thay had fitted my new ordered BT020 to some other bastards XX] And it was more expensive!