CBR1100XX.org Forum

New way to mount your tires

TPXX

This looks slick as heck and no tire irons required! Dont recomend his method for tire removal though. Linky.

Someone here has got to try that and let us know! Looks great!

In a similar vein has anyone seen the UK show "Top Gear"? They test all sorts of different cars and have challenges car vs some other mode of transport :icon_surprised:

The other night they had a race to the North Pole with dog sled up against a heavily modified Toyota Hilux with huge custom made (2500GBP ea) snow tyres.

Well one of the presenters in the Hilux is known for being a bit like "Tim the Tool Man Taylor" and loves power and goes like a bull at a gate and was going over some very bad icy terrain with large "ice boulders" and ripped the aux fuel tank out the bot of the vehicle and dismounted the tyre of the rim :icon_eek:

Anyway the support crew which was made up of Scandinavians used lighter fluid or similar to "pop" the tyre back on the rim somehow :icon_think:

Very ingenious I thought :icon_biggrin:

Anyway the support crew which was made up of Scandinavians used lighter fluid or similar to "pop" the tyre back on the rim somehow

On our John Deer B tractor, that was the SOP for mounting tires. One person sprayed lots of ether into the tire, the other tossed in a match, works great.

In a similar vein has anyone seen the UK show "Top Gear"? They test all sorts of different cars and have challenges car vs some other mode of transport :icon_surprised:

The other night they had a race to the North Pole with dog sled up against a heavily modified Toyota Hilux with huge custom made (2500GBP ea) snow tyres.

Well one of the presenters in the Hilux is known for being a bit like "Tim the Tool Man Taylor" and loves power and goes like a bull at a gate and was going over some very bad icy terrain with large "ice boulders" and ripped the aux fuel tank out the bot of the vehicle and dismounted the tyre of the rim :icon_eek:

Anyway the support crew which was made up of Scandinavians used lighter fluid or similar to "pop" the tyre back on the rim somehow :icon_think:

Very ingenious I thought :icon_biggrin:

I used to do years ago, when my ATV tires got knocked off the rim, out in the middle of the woods.

WD40 is a bit less explosive.

So, do you all think that the straps would work? I think by the time that you got all your straps on, I could have the tire on. I have had some tough ones though.

Looks like it works on some tires. I did not recognize that tire. If they were thin straps like the $0.99 ones at harbor freight then I dont see why not. I'm gonna try it.

BTW - there is a much better way of getting the tire (any tire) to bead up. once you get the tire on use a ratchet strap arond the middle of the tire circumventionally and tighten it up. It pooches the tire wall out and once you hit it with air the beads will catch. You dont risk blowing yourself up that way. hehehehe

So, do you all think that the straps would work? I think by the time that you got all your straps on, I could have the tire on. I have had some tough ones though.

Looks like it works on some tires. I did not recognize that tire. If they were thin straps like the $0.99 ones at harbor freight then I dont see why not. I'm gonna try it.

BTW - there is a much better way of getting the tire (any tire) to bead up. once you get the tire on use a ratchet strap arond the middle of the tire circumventionally and tighten it up. It pooches the tire wall out and once you hit it with air the beads will catch. You dont risk blowing yourself up that way. hehehehe

Are you trying to take all the fun out of playing in the garage? :icon_twisted:

Are you trying to take all the fun out of playing in the garage? :icon_twisted:

No! You can still wash parts with gas next to the water heater. Firemen need stuff to do too!

OK maybe not a better way but another way!

+1

I've put on my rear tire without tire irons before. Just used a little soapy water and my hands and feet. Front tires, however, take a little more effort.