CBR1100XX.org Forum

Bike Knocked Over

tecman

I need some advice. Sunday my bike was knocked over by a dunderhead while I was at work. Luckily a policeman came by and wrote up an incident card with all the other driver's info. I am dealing with the insurance company now.

At first, it really looked like just cosmetic damage: Zero Gravity winscreen, both side panels, the gas tank, the right mirror and the front body panel around the headlight. I was able to ride the bike home after work. Well, I just got back from the bike shop and the damage estimate is around $7000! Holy shit! Seems the swingarm was slighty damaged by the muffler being pushed into it, and my Two Brothers pipe isn't made anymore so it is about $1k for a comparable Yoshi replacement.

What do I do? My bike is going to be totalled and it pisses me off. I only had 33.5K miles on it, and just paid for the 32K service in November. Do I buy it back and fix only those things that are really necessary, like the panels, tank and mirror? Do I try to find another '02 Bird? Do I give in and get the ZX 14? Do I hunt down and kill the motherfucker who dumped my bike? (As a side note, if he had backed into my bike I think I could understand a little better, but the fact is he drove forward into my bike knocking it over.)

I have never had a salvage bike, and don't know that I really want one. The shop guys told me the frame is fine, and the swing arm is ok, it is just being rubbed by the pipe when it goes over bumps. That sounds to me like I will need a new muffler to replace my Two Brothers, which was a 4-2-1.

Any advice or experience would be greatly appreciated. I think my Bird is the best bike I have ever owned and do not want to give her up without a fight, if it is worth it.

Thanks for hearing my vent and for any info.

Wow....that sucks.

First...your appraiser is really trying to help you out, even though you may not want that done. What insurance do you have?

While I can imagine the cosmetic damage that might bring you to a $7000 estimate, its a bit of a stretch. The exhaust isn't the kicker, because stock barrels retail for over $600 each. Its just that everything adds up.

Here's your options that make sense.

--let the insurance company total it, you buy the bike back, fix it, and drive it with a salvage title.

--Take the money and run to the Kawasaki dealer

--Decide how much you need to fix the bike....then offer the insurance company the option of paying you, say, $4000 instead of $7000 and you keep a good title for the bike.

Its hard for me to imagine that much damage being done by a tip-over. You might ask to review the estimate with the appraiser, just to be sure you understand what they found.

Alternatively, you could take the money, run to the Kawasaki dealer, buy your bike back, and sell it to me for $500. :)

Ebay is your friend.

Post up an accurate parts list and I'm sure you can pick up a lot of the bits on here for a reasonable price, the rest you can find on Ebay.

You can pick up complete stock exhausts on Ebay all the time for under $150 for starters.

Get the insurance co. to cut you a check. Buy the parts cheap, and fix it up yourself. Then spend the rest on hookers :icon_evilgrin:

If you decide to go with new parts hit up Mike Barth at University Motors.

I have a two brothers 4-2-1 system. How bad is yours?

Follow Joe's lead, if you dont want it with a salvage title, buy it back (if the price is right) and allow a board member to buy it or part it out.

I hate to see a bike with solid mechanics head off to sit outside at a dismantling yard.

Riding a bike with a salvage title only will effect your ultimate resale. Sounds like you love your bike so I think you'll keep her.

Screw Rockmeup, I'll give you $503.11

Looking at the parts list from the shop there are quite a few things that I don't think the bike needs to be back in the same shape as before. All the body panels need replacing, except the one around the subframe. The right mirror and windscreen need replacing, as well as some structural bracing underneath the front panel that goes around the light. The mechanic said the swingarm is not bent, just scratched from the exhaust, but I am worried that if if keeps getting scratched a little at a time that it will become structurally unsound, and the cost of a new swing arm is right at $1K.

I have checked out Craig's List here in the Bar Area and there is an '02 SilverBird for sale for $5200 with 25K miles on it. If I can work him down on the price a little I may go for it, but I think I will have to upgrade the exhaust since it is still stock. I am not sure how bad my current exhaust is, but I think the pipe coming from the headers is a little bent. The can itself seems to be ok.

I also have a Power Commander that came with the bike when I bought it used. I don't have any software for it, or a laptop to take to the bike to to program with. Can the software be downloaded from the Net? I can borrow a laptop from my landlord to use, so that should not be an issue.

I was also wondering if I could negotiate withe the insurance adjuster. I do not have comprehensive insurance, so everything is coming from the other guy's insurance company. So far they seem to be reasonable and are accepting that it is their insured's fault, but we will see how they feel when they see the damage estimate. I think I could easily work a couple thousand off what the shop came up with, I just need to see if they will deal with me.

By the by, anyone know the Kelly Blue Book value of an '02 with 33.5K miles, just tuned, and in generally great overall condition? The shop was saying around $4200, but that seems low by about $1000 to me.

Thanks again for the advice and support. If I get enough from the insurance co. then the hookers are on me! :icon_evilgrin:

By the by, anyone know the Kelly Blue Book value of an '02 with 33.5K miles, just tuned, and in generally great overall condition? The shop was saying around $4200, but that seems low by about $1000 to me.

Anyone can go to www.kbb.com and check a price. I just checked and they say $6205 for an '02 in excellent condition.

Revlimitbounce has a very nice '02 for sale. Think what a great trip that would be.

Or you could get Rich to ride it out for you.

Or put it on the trailer with Josh's.

The world is just full of choices.

If you do get any work done at a shop, be sure you get the old pieces. And put a little nick in your headlight...they might as well buy you a new one of those, too....LOL.

If you do get any work done at a shop, be sure you get the old pieces. And put a little nick in your headlight...they might as well buy you a new one of those, too....LOL.
Absolutely. Like most dealers, my local ones keep the parts they replace. Later they sell them on eBay.

I would be willing to bet the exhaust is just a bent hanger holding the muffler.

Either bent it back out or get a new one(yes I know 2bro don't make it any more) I have the 2 bro. 4-2-1 also. I had a muffler fall apart internally and bought the next closest one from 2 bro.( the inlet opening is located just slightly different but works fine).

If it were me, I would haggle for the most $$ from the insurance to fix it myself (don't tell them your going to fix it, tell them the shop will work with you). They will surely give you enough to fix it as you will get it done way cheaper than the dealer will charge.

P.S. good luck

I need some advice. Sunday my bike was knocked over by a dunderhead while I was at work.

How did he knock it over to do so much damage? Sounds like more than a tipover. :icon_confused:

Was it hit by someone backing up? Was it run over?

For $2400 I'll sell you each and every part you need, except the tank, which is not compatible. I have a 100% complete, spare 97 XX sitting in my garage. I'm trying to get the title straightened out. So for now, it's just a fabulous parts bike.

For $2400 I'll sell you each and every part you need, except the tank, which is not compatible. I have a 100% complete, spare 97 XX sitting in my garage. I'm trying to get the title straightened out. So for now, it's just a fabulous parts bike.

northman has a frame with clean title.

:icon_whistle:

$7000?!! That is rediculous! You can get all new sharkskins for around $700 I think. The exhaust sucks, but you aint going to get 2bros on a new bike anyways. Take the money, and start a custom frame up build! Don't be a weenie, take the money, fix the bike, and sell all the old parts. If not, I'll give you $510 and your old pipes back. Then go kick that guys ass, and use the left over money for bail, so you can kick his ass again in the hospital.

It depends on how picky you are. If you want something perfect, it may be easier getting a different XX.

However if you feel like being handy and wants the challenge of a hunt on parts then keep and rebuild.

You may a little negotiation power with the ins. company. But remember this, the higher value you settle with the company,

then the higher salvage buy back.

Plus you may have a CA branded title, which will surely diminish interest and re-sale value in the future.

It is makes you feel any better-some dufus cager knocked me over on my 97 while I was stopped at red light a few months ago. I thought it was going to be a couple of hundred, estimate was $1,700 and the cager's company paid it. I kept the money and did not replace any panels. It is not perfect, but you really can't tell w/o real close examination. I figure it will help offset lower price when I sell.

The insurance adjuster came by today and looked at the bike. There was a ton of stuff on the estimate that was not related to the accident, and some things that were not even damaged, like the brake lever, shift lever, left mirror (which does have a scratch on it but not from this), and the rear cowl around the subframe.

With everything else, except the swingarm, the estimate is about $3685, and with the swingarm it is about $4618, both of which are less than the value of the bike, in my opinion. I know $3700 is low, and I thought I could have gotten $5500 for the bike on the open market if I had tried to sell it.

My hope is that I can get the $4600, replace everything except the swingarm because it is nothing but a scratch that should polish out, then spend the extra on an Ohlins rear shock and some stiffer fork springs.

Here's hoping it works out! :icon_biggrin:

Given the fact that it's the other guys fault and insurance and add to the fact that you can't buy an XX any more I would tell the adjuster to get fucked and that you want it rebuilt or replaced. Oh and just because 2 bros doesn't sell the pipe any more doesn't mean they can't make you a new one. It's the other guys problem and not yours if insurance will only come up with so much. He'll have to make up the difference.

But that's just my opinion and I'm a cranky fuck. :icon_evilgrin:

One old insurance trick I'll warn you about...

They may try and give you a check for 1/2 or 2/3 of the estimate, and when you call them on it, they'll say "Ok, just cash that check, and we'll get a check for the remainder out to you in a day or 2." It sounds like a good idea, EXCEPT there is the fine print on the back of the check that says something to the effect of "by cashing this check, you agree that this is all we owe you" and you're screwed.... They were never going to send the second check, but wanted you to sign the check they sent you first, to agree to their terms... My dad's friend got bit by this a few years back...

Mike

Like Shane reckons ,,,,,

take the cash ,, kick the guys ass ,,, use the money to post bail so you can kick the guys ass again.

Drove straight into it huh ,, what a knob. Probably too busy talking on his cell and drinking his big gulp to worry about having to steeer the car.

you can't buy an XX any more . . . . just because 2 bros doesn't sell the pipe any more doesn't mean they can't make you a new one.

:icon_evilgrin:

Man, having two brothers make a pipe sounds expensive, and I like it! Perhaps dion has something here :icon_think: ?! I'd get an estimate to have one made, just for :icon_machinegun: firepower!

The estimate that the adjuster came up with was $4219. I spoke with the company rep and she told me a check was being cut to me for that amount, plus an extra $30 for the time it would take to order my parts since I was nice and didn't rent a bike to ride.

I went to the shop and spoke again with the techs about what really needed to be replaced. They think the muffler can be bent back out so it does not rub the swingarm, and other than that it is just plastic, a support for the front cowl, a mirror and the gas tank. All told, the parts ran me $2650 including tax. I think it is about three hours of labor to replace the parts, so another $240 for that, and I should end up around $1000 ahead. I may need to get just a new can, not a whole system, so I am waiting on getting an Ohlins and new fork springs until I know the exhaust is ok as is.

Overall, it was fairly painless in having to deal with the insurance company. They did not fight me at all over whether or not their insured was at fault, and once the estimate was in they were prompt in settling with me. As a matter of fact, I got the check today and should be getting my parts in on Wednesday. :icon_biggrin:

Thanks for the advice and ideas.

Overall, it was fairly painless in having to deal with the insurance company.

Who was the insurance company?

Gotta know who? Great to hear things worked out!

The insurance company is called VanGuard. They handle the insurance for National Car Rental. The guy who drove into my bike rented a Toyota van from them and was attempting to park in San Francisco .

I think since they did not have many dealings with motorcycles it made it easier for me. Even though the damage estimate was fairly steep it was not that much compared to what a damaged car could have cost them.