CBR1100XX.org Forum

Anyone have 2nd gear problems?

jermzfree

Hey everyone!

Bought a busa a few months back, and later found out they are notorious for transmission issues (2nd gear rounding, bent shifter fork) due to a slower than desired shift drum and high torque.

Question:

Did a quick search on this site and did not find a lot of threads on tranny problems. :icon_biggrin: Have any of the years of this bike been plauged with transmission problems? What about any other corks? Heard from word of mouth that the xx is virtually bullet proof, and if so am probably going to sell my busa in the spring and get a xx.

Thank you in advance for all feedback :icon_biggrin:

Be prepared for a notch down in oomph dropping from the Busa to the XX. A small notch, but its there.

That being said, XX transmissions can be damaged if you use the shifter as a footpeg, or routinely do fullpower hammer shifts. HOWEVER....as I understand it, the 500hp dragbikes use the stock transmission with undercut gears (along with many other integral engine parts) which underscores just how strong the stock unit is.

Its possible to trash an XX transmission, but it takes a dedicated effort.

I still have the June 2002 Cycle World issue had a comparison of the XX, Busa, and ZX-12r.

The XX was noted for its smoothness and being comfy also for its linked brakes. Put down for lacking power and being the slowest of the 3 and also for having linked brakes.

Busa was noted as having gobs of torque and power. But was put down cause it was now limited and got beaten by a whole 2 mph from the ZX-12r, and had mushy brakes.

The ZX-12r was noted for being faster than busa great brakes and being the lightest of the bunch. However was uncomfy, only faster than a limited busa and a false fuel gauge.

Before this issue came out I was splitting hairs on a new bike. Mainly the XX and the Busa (not a kawi fan and the 12r really didn't fit me too well.) The XX was a sweet looking bike, comfy to me, but had some dated looks and dated tech under the plastic but all still did a great job, even came with 5 yr warranty. The busa had an ugly face, also comfy to me, but better suspension and more up to date tech under the plastic than the XX.

I then went to site searching and found this site, and looked in the garage. I found several posts of the tool pouch rubber band breaking, and what a piece of crap the XX was for needing gas every 200 or so miles and how you need to change the oil in it. Then I headed over to the busa site and was overwhelmed with the subframe problems, front brake problems, tranny problems. So I made up my mind. Who gives a shit about going 185mph as you will not even do that more than 1% of your of your total riding. For HP the XX has plenty to get you down the road, could be more but will make me happy for a while..

I bought my XX on June 4th 2002.. Over 5 yrs later and nothing to even report except for having to ride, do some regular maintenance (fluids, tires, chain), and tighten a hose clamp that allowed a couple drops of antifreeze to seep out warming up to go riding when it was about 35 deg outside.

Not to bad I guess.

Bought a busa a few months back, and later found out they are notorious for transmission issues

The Busa doesn't have any tranny problems or any other issues more than any other manufacturer, why would every Tom, Dick, and Harry in the world drag race them if they did? Some are putting out obscene horsepower numbers on stock trannys.

No problems on the Busa except for perhaps keeping your license intact. It is just like an XX only faster, same as a Kaw 14.

All three are plenty fast, pick the one that fits your physique the best.

Perhaps the Busa you purchased had been abused, that can happen with any bike?

There are a lot of unhappy Busa owners that would beg to differ wit ya. :icon_naughty: There is a TON of threads i read of Busa owners looking for a rebuilt tranny just fresh off the dealer lot. Just for the record my busa works fine but don't want to ride a bike that is known for #$%^ transmissions!!

As a percentage of Busas on the road, the number with tranny problems is negligible. The Busa tranny, or I should say Suzuki sport bike trannys in general, shift like butter.

I had one, I know lots of guys with Busas, no tranny problems reported. No more than any other brand for sure. If you are getting rid of your Busa just because you think the tranny will go bad, you shouldn't. If you or a prior owner has abused it, that is another story.

You know how shit goes on the internet, one guy has a problem, others think they have it, people get carried away, and all of a sudden a rumor turns into perceived reality because of hysteria by the masses.

I have also been on the Suz. forum (gixxer.com) & have not read anything about busa tranny problems. Been a member there for approx. 2 yrs & if there is a problem it is isolated & not a "common" problem.

Going to an XX after a Busa would be a fairly large step down (power wise) you would probably be dissapointed. The busa is far superior to the XX in many ways (except styling of course).

Oh I think my wife is going to cheat on me, should I get a divorce ?

There are a lot of unhappy Busa owners that would beg to differ wit ya. :icon_naughty: There is a TON of threads i read of Busa owners looking for a rebuilt tranny just fresh off the dealer lot. Just for the record my busa works fine but don't want to ride a bike that is known for #$%^ transmissions!!

Simple fix take the tranny out send 2nd and 6th gears out for undercut and hardening, or put in a factory pro shift kit! Or well buy a XX and put in the shift kit and you never have to worry bout tranny issues!

Maybe there is a different demographic buying Hayabusas than there is buying blackbirds. In the nine years I've been drooling over the Blackbird I've never seen a kid riding one. On the other hand, it seems every time I see a Busa it's doing burnouts with a 19 year old at the controls. Maybe the way it's being used has something to do with the reported transmission problems?

Maybe there is a different demographic buying Hayabusas than there is buying blackbirds. In the nine years I've been drooling over the Blackbird I've never seen a kid riding one. On the other hand, it seems every time I see a Busa it's doing burnouts with a 19 year old at the controls. Maybe the way it's being used has something to do with the reported transmission problems?

A lot of truth in that statement at least from what I have seen in the last 7 years that I have owned mine.

Of course that means you will find some more than usual with that kind of abuse, I have seen 1 XX that I saw abused here locally and the new owner ened up having to spend some cash to get the clutch straightend out but the tranny was still together.

Hey everyone!

Bought a busa a few months back, and later found out they are notorious for transmission issues (2nd gear rounding, bent shifter fork) due to a slower than desired shift drum and high torque.

Question:

Did a quick search on this site and did not find a lot of threads on tranny problems. :icon_biggrin: Have any of the years of this bike been plauged with transmission problems? What about any other corks? Heard from word of mouth that the xx is virtually bullet proof, and if so am probably going to sell my busa in the spring and get a xx.

Thank you in advance for all feedback :icon_biggrin:

Never had any issues with mine. I think most of the trouble I seen or heard is mainly with drag racers. Busa is bullet proof..imo

There has also been a whole lot more Busa's sold over the XX. One of the latest motorcycle rags put the number sold at 10,000 just in 07. And with all those sold, you will have a hard time finding one that hasn't been modified, and probably abused.

I have a 99 XX with 43k, with me putting the last 23k in the clock, with not a hint of a problem. I also just purchased a 02 Busa, and have had it only about one week. I too, read about the 2nd gear problems on the Busa forums after purchasing mine, and at first was a little nervous, until I put in perspective how many are sold and abused, and how people like to vent their problems on the internet. I also read about many of the abusers that do full power clutchless shifts. My Busa is low mileage, and was owned by a guy in his 50's, and is stock, so any problems I have won't be related to abuse.

After putting a couple of hundred miles on the Busa, the tranny shifts as smooth as the XX. Other positives on the Busa is of course, its low/midrange power, suspension that is way better than the XX, with adjustability, and just a more modern bike. On the XX's side is the fuel injection/throttle smoothness, lot better wind protection, Linked brakes(I like em), smooth engine, and for me its a Honda. To my surprise, I'm getting the same MPG(low 40's) out of both. I haven't had the chance to put a longer day in the saddle on the Busa, but I'm sure the XX will be my choice for the high mile rides.

I will agree that there are a LOT more Busas on the street compared to the XX, and this could make it seem like they are a lot less reliable when you go to a dedicated motorcycle site like this one and look at maintenance problems, but story after story of some poor Busa owner forking over 11k for a brand new bike, and not even 2k down the road it needs $2000 dollars in tranny work? That should never happen. I have missed a bazillion shifts on my previous Suzuki going into 2nd gear and the only thing detrimental was the little green light coming on telling me I was in neutral. The Busa has a ton or torque, and I get the impression if you miss a shift crossing over neutral you WILL bend the shift fork when the clutch is released. If you go to: http://www.hayabusa.org/forums/ and do a quick search on “2nd gear” and will find over 40 (probably a lot more if you dig) threads about some poor Busa owner with 2nd gear-less bike. I’m not a statistics major, but that seems like a relevant number.

Before I purchased my Busa I test rode a few Blackbirds, I know what you mean when you say there is a big dip in power, especially under 7k. My goal as a bike owner is to have a fast, fun, comfortable, and all around well built bike. My last bike (Katana) gave me a lot of fits and I really want a bike I can rely on.

Keep on telling me I’m wrong though, I hope I change my mind!

Thanks for all the input, well appreciated :icon_biggrin:

Suzukis have probably the best shifting trannys in the industry.Typically 1-2 shift has the biggest split in the gear ratio and that`s why 2nd gear fails first due to improper shifting technique.Throw demografics of typical Busa buyer ( lots low hrs riders) plus high torque of motor plus anal side of interenet and it might seems that there is a problem there.

Worn out dogs on 2nd gear is 99% of the time rider`s fault.

If you mised a 1-2 shift a gazillion of times there is a problem with you technique. :icon_evilgrin: