CBR1100XX.org Forum

Just a couple of more chain questions, then I'm done, OK?

XXera

OK, I just have ONE more question concerning chains.......OK???

When you have gone down 1 tooth in the front and replaced the chain with a DID 530 ZVM, where did your wear indicator wind up??

I put both of mine on today and the wear indicator is coming up on (about 1/8" away from) the second notch from the front. That looks like I'm not going to have much adjustment left when this chain starts to stretch!!

Well, one more question. Since so many people have gone down 1 tooth, does anybody have a graph or chart floating around depicting the speedometer error I'm going to have now?

If you changed your sprocket size, the stretch indicator no longer in calibration, and it is useless. Don't worry about it. You will know when your chain needs to be replaced. You will begin to see areas in the chain that seem a little kinked. You will need to allow for those tight areas when you adjust your chain. (measure your chain slack at it's tightest) These tight spots will get worse, and after a while, you will begin to feel and hear the chain as it goes through these loose and tight spots when you are riding. Change your chain then.

Talking about speedo errors, I have about a +12% error already. I mean, it reads 12% faster than what I'm really going. I checked this by gps as well as my friendly neighborhood police man and his radar gun(laser type). So if I go down a tooth on the front sproket, will my speedo error be reduced to -3% or increase to +27%? :roll:

Joe, I had the stock setup - a 17t cs, 45t rear, and a DID50ZVS chain. It's a '00 so it has an analog gauge. The dealer I bought it from had the speedo checked with a radar gun (friend that is a cop) and said it was right on up to 150 mph. After all the comments I've heard here, I have trouble believing his story now.

Zarnyk, I think Carlos is saying, at an indicated 115 mph, you are actually running 100 mph, without applying individual speedo errors.

So now I should start putting on more miles without actually riding them! :lol:

Thanks for information.

I recently checked my speedo for accuracy with my gps. Speedo was reading 6 or 7 mph fast, consistently. Ron

That just doesn't make sense. If you were going actual 10 you'd read 16 or 17? And if you were going actual 60 you'd read 66 or 67? Does... not... compute...

I didn't check it at 10mph, I usually ride a little faster that that. Yes, speedo reading 66mph, actual speed 60. According to my gps. Make sense now?

well yeah, that makes sense. But if you're reading 66 and actual is 60, then at actual 10 you're only going 11. It's not a dead on 6 or 7 higher at any speed, it's a percentage...

I never said it was "dead on at any speed" I said it was reading 6 or 7mph fast consistently, and that is exactly what it does at 60mph.

:roll: When you said "consistently" I thought you meant at any and all speeds. It just didn't make sense, and I was trying to clarify.