CBR1100XX.org Forum

New Exhaust with no carb mods....what is the result?

DaveK

I just got a new White Brothers XCR pipe for the KLR. If I just go and bolt it on without doing any sort of jetting or carb mod...will I do damage to anything?

Some people on the KLR forum claim it is absoloutely fine and others say the bike doesn't run right.

I am just concerned with damaging something while I "test" it to see if I am one of the "runs OK" people or not.

Thanks

xxt_27.jpg

The engine is overjetted stock so you will not kill the engine at full power. In case you find that the engine hesitates on mid range you can shim up the nedles with a M3 flatwasher. Any problems on low rpm should be possible to cure by opening the pilot screws 3 turns from bottom position.

If the engines starts to misfire at max load due to a lean condition it is time to watch up and put in larger main jets. I don't think this will happen though.

Let's hear what other will say to.

The engine is overjetted stock so you will not kill the engine at full power. In case you find that the engine hesitates on mid range you can shim up the nedles with a M3 flatwasher. Any problems on low rpm should be possible to cure by opening the pilot screws 3 turns from bottom position.

If the engines starts to misfire at max load due to a lean condition it is time to watch up and put in larger main jets. I don't think this will happen though.

Let's hear what other will say to.

OK....Midrange problems.....22cent mod and low end stumble turn the pilot screw counter clock 3 complete turns? The pilot screw is the big silver one that adjusts the idol?

Pretty much what R1000 said,in worse case scenario you gonna have to buy jet kit.

As far as pilot screw,write down factory position and go from there in 1/4 turn steps.You might end up with 3 turns out or not.

OK....Midrange problems.....22cent mod and low end stumble turn the pilot screw counter clock 3 complete turns? The pilot screw is the big silver one that adjusts the idol?

The pilot screws are badly located under the carb in center of each carb towards the intake rubber. I adjusted mine when the carbs were removed for change of cylinder head. I just checked in the Haynes manual and they say it it possible with a flexible screwdriver that is angled at the end. Perhaps a cheap screwdriver with an angled gear at end will do the job. My 3D memory is not good enough to be sure.

The pilot screws are badly located under the carb in center of each carb towards the intake rubber. I adjusted mine when the carbs were removed for change of cylinder head. I just checked in the Haynes manual and they say it it possible with a flexible screwdriver that is angled at the end. Perhaps a cheap screwdriver with an angled gear at end will do the job. My 3D memory is not good enough to be sure.

You have been a HUGE help....thanks for the direction.

Put the pipe on today....3 turns of the screw and bam.

Sounds amazing, looks amazing and I am VERY happy with the buy.

One strange thing though....

The stock pipe had a (naturally) clamp to clamp the pipe on the header pipe. The White Brothers exhaust just slipped over the header pipe...with NO CLAMPING SYSTEM. It wasn't even tight. The directions said no clamp was to be used due to how much the 2 pipes overlapped.

Weird....but The install took....OH, 3 minutes.

LOVE IT...

Thanks for all your help.

Dave