CBR1100XX.org Forum

Need Advice Quick, Diesel in the Gas

sykotek-xx

Pulled in to my local, regular gas station this morning 6:15am. There was a guy and his wife arguing with the attendant. As I pulled up to the pump the guy told me to not get the gas, there is water in it. Then he left. Attendant told me that they claimed that the gas was bad. I always fill up at this station so I figured what the hell.

Fast forward about 10 miles, I start noticing a funny smell whenever I stop at a stop sign or light.

About another 30 miles I get into heavy traffic and the smell is stronger. I gassed the bike hard to make a pass and had to stop quickly. When I stopped, I noticed a huge plume of white smoke in the mirrors. The bike smokes heavily, white, whenever I goose the gas or get on it in gear. The smell from the exhaust is a cross between a kerosene heater and a freshly lit match (sulpher). When I got into the city here I stopped and opened the tank to smell the contents, it smells only slightly like gas and has a slightly sweet smell to it, kinda like antifreeze but not quite.

So, my best guess is that this station recently took a delivery of diesel (they don't sell kerosene) in the gas tank. Bike runs OK other than the smell, heavy smoke and occasional pinging at high throttle (I stopped giving it a lot of gas once I started hearing the pinging). Is there any risk of running this mix thru and filling back up at another station, or should I call in the transport to pick me up in the back of a pickup and cart it home where I can remove and drain the tank?

Help! I'm in phila with a 65 mile commute home.

Don't run the bike...its an expensive repair, and shipping the motor you buy off Ebay will be a pain in the ass.

Get it moved home.

Or if you can find a place to work, either pull the tank and dump it, or disconnect the fuel injection and run the fuel pump to empty the tank. Then fill it with premium and slosh it around well to mix whatever's left with the good gas. Run it easy for that tank....or dump it again and refill with fresh gas.

I'd do that in an autozone parking lot. They have cheap gas cans and oil drain buckets you can use for dumping, and cheap tools that you can use if you don't have your toolkit. Sometimes they even loan out tools.

Siphon out what you can, and refill with premium. Run that tank completely dry before refilling again.

Ditto on this advise.....................a small amount of diesel fuel left in the tank won't hurt anything. Just burn out as much of the mix before you refuel again.

Siphon out what you can, and refill with premium. Run that tank completely dry before refilling again.

Ditto on this advise.....................a small amount of diesel fuel left in the tank won't hurt anything. Just burn out as much of the mix before you refuel again.

Triple that Roger, Roger.

Then I'ld plan on changing the plugs out this winter, just to be on the safe side of high performance.

On EFI models, you can drain the gas pretty easy by pulling off the drain hose under the tank.

Make sure you save the bad gas, so you can take it back to the place you bought it. They owe you a refund, as well as (at the least) payment for any costs you incure trying to fix the problem. And if they don't give it to you, about 5 gallons of even bad gas should be enough to burn the place down.

Update:

Went out at 11:30 to try to get it started to take to a local station, won't start now. Dad is coming to pick me up from work at 4:00, should be fun getting the XX in the back of his 4X4 pickup. We have an improvised ramp made out of 9' 2X8's. I called weights and measures in ocean county, amazingly they took the report, and 10 minutes later a very concerned inspector called back saying he was at a station about 20 miles away and would be heading directly to the station I reported to investigate and take samples.

If the bike is hosed someone may suffer an untimely fatality. All I'm saying.

Pulled in to my local, regular gas station this morning 6:15am. There was a guy and his wife arguing with the attendant. As I pulled up to the pump the guy told me to not get the gas, there is water in it. Then he left. Attendant told me that they claimed that the gas was bad. I always fill up at this station so I figured what the hell.

You might have to pull out a mirror and kill yourself. I'm surprised that you did not smell it when you were filling it up.

You might have to pull out a mirror and kill yourself. I'm surprised that you did not smell it when you were filling it up.

Interesting. Didn't smell anything at the time. I don't routinely check to see what is coming out of the pump labeled 87 octane, just assume it's 87 octane. Guess it's all my fault for not breaking out the test kit, the station owner is definitely not at fault for putting the wrong fuel in the tank. You're right. How narrow sighted of me.

It is gas mixed with diesel, still smells like gas.

Pump-sniffer.....

We had some numb nut fill a gas welder at work with diesel. All I did was drain the tank and refill with clean gas and poured gas in the carb to get it running and it is fine that was 2 years ago. Just drain the tank and bleed the injection system and it will be fine. Diesel will not ignite with a cold gas engine. Hot maybe. Get some clean gas to the injecters and it will fire right up and be fine. LOL.

Update:

Went out at 11:30 to try to get it started to take to a local station, won't start now. Dad is coming to pick me up from work at 4:00, should be fun getting the XX in the back of his 4X4 pickup. We have an improvised ramp made out of 9' 2X8's. I called weights and measures in ocean county, amazingly they took the report, and 10 minutes later a very concerned inspector called back saying he was at a station about 20 miles away and would be heading directly to the station I reported to investigate and take samples.

Sounds like more work than you really need to do, to me anyways.

I'ld get 2 - 5 gallon gas cans, one with new fuel and one empty, drain the old out, and then put some new in, right in the parking lot.

You're going to have to do it anyways, so why not do that instead of risking any more possible problems with hauling it ?

Well good luck, on whatever you decide to do.

Interesting. Didn't smell anything at the time. I don't routinely check to see what is coming out of the pump labeled 87 octane, just assume it's 87 octane. Guess it's all my fault for not breaking out the test kit, the station owner is definitely not at fault for putting the wrong fuel in the tank. You're right. How narrow sighted of me.

It is gas mixed with diesel, still smells like gas.

Pump-sniffer.....

OK, so let's rule out that you didn't smell the diesel.

You said there were people arguing with the attendant that the gas was bad. Then the person who was doing the arguing said to you that the gas was bad. I guess that would have been enough for me. <shrug>

It sucks that it happened, but a FI with knock detection should have limited mechanical damage.

As has been said, drain all the fuel. Refill with clean hi-test and run it through the tank. My tractor starts on gas from one tank, but will run on almost anything once warm. I have also driven a old VW on diesel once in a pinch.

If you are really concerned, get the report about the gas and if it is bad fuel, ask the station to pay for repairs at a Stealer.

Here's an update, hauled it home, drained the tank, put in about a gallon and a half of brand new gas with a little injector cleaner / octane booster mixed in.

Won't start. Cranks, barely sputters and backfires out the pipes LOUDLY. Been cranking it on and off for about a half hour letting the starter cool. I also removed the pressure line from the fual rail and bled it into a container, no help.

My hands stink of kerosene from draining the tank so I am pretty sure that was what was in there, very familiar with the smell since I have 3 kerosene heaters in the garage.

Suggestions?

Yes, I should have took the guy's advice about the bad gas, but like I said this is a reputable station that is less than a mile from my house, I've put HUNDREDS of gallons of gas in the boat, not to mention about 30 gallons a week in the truck and however much in the bike.

I'd say changing your plugs is the next step.

+1 Plugs are definitely fouled after cranking that long unsuccessfully. You also want to change out your oil before firing the engine, as you've most likely ended up with a bunch of fuel washed down the cylinders.

If this ever happens again, hold the throttle wide open if the bike doesn't fire in the first few seconds. That will shut off the injectors and allow you to clear out the cylinders before closing the throttle and allowing more fuel in.

+1 on the plugs and bleeding the fuel line. I don't think you did any damage to the motor it is just fouled from the diesel not burning cleanly. The station should be responsable for any repair bill that you generate. LOL getting it started Steve if I can help in any way let me know you are not that far from me I would be happy to help out.

+1 on the plugs and bleeding the fuel line. I don't think you did any damage to the motor it is just fouled from the diesel not burning cleanly. The station should be responsable for any repair bill that you generate. LOL getting it started Steve if I can help in any way let me know you are not that far from me I would be happy to help out.

Stefan....read the posts jerky ! :icon_biggrin:

My hands stink of kerosene from draining the tank so I am pretty sure that was what was in there, very familiar with the smell since I have 3 kerosene heaters in the garage.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions and the advice.

Running again. I pulled the tank and airbox and yanked out a plug. It was covered in thick black sludge. I grounded the plug and cranked the motor, had a barely noticable intermittent orange spark. I stuck it in an air powered spark plug sandblaster my dad got me (probably not the best thing for the iridium but oh well) and it cleaned right up. Hooked it back to the ignition wire and had a nice bright consistent spark. Put it back in it's hole and did the same to the next 3. Prayed a little prayer and apologized to the poor bike for abusing it, and hit the start button. Let me tell you that idle never sounded so good. Had some smoke for a few minutes then it cleared up. Took a short but entusiastic ride and it's back to normal again.

After I got done cranking the crap out of it earlier I went to the gas station and asked the attendant for the owner. He was inside. I asked the attendant if they had any complaints about bad gas today, he just gave me a look and said "go talk to the owner".

Went in and explained what had happened. He said he had some other complaints already. Took my name address phone and had me write a statement about what happened, told me he will fax it to the main office and I can check on it after noon tomorrow.

Also put in a police report when I couldn't get it running, in case there was other damage and I would eventually have to go after the station, I wanted a paper trail. The officer came up to the garage and I told him what happened, and that I thought there was something in the gas. He said "Is it Kerosene?" I said "I think so, why?" He said he could smell it as he walked up the driveway (still had the open containers from draining the tank in the garage). I asked him to put that in the report which he did. :)

Note to self, if there's someone at the pump bitching about bad gas, go to another station, no matter how much you trust it. If this gas ended up in my new 25' Parker Pilothouse there would have been one hell of a bill, it's a 150 gallon tank and marine labor ain't cheap.

Thanks again.

Stefan....read the posts jerky ! :icon_biggrin:

:icon_smilefingers::icon_wtf: is wrong with my post bitch?

So what ya been up to Slappy?

Glad to hear you got it up and runnig again Steve. It could have been worse. :icon_rolleyes: