CBR1100XX.org Forum

Need Advice Quick, Diesel in the Gas

sykotek-xx

Another update, I was out front working on the 600 ninja and the cop that took the report yesterday pulled up. Asked how the bike was, I sadi it's better now. He said after he left my house they got another 13 complaints about the station's fuel on his shift. Also said that it was diesel and not kerosene. Not sure if that came from the weights and measures folks or from another source.

Sand blasted plugs will not last as long as original Iridiums (assuming that's what you're running). The coating will have been worn off, and after a few 100 miles they'll be pretty much shot. You are MUCH better off putting new plugs in there. Keep your receipts, get reimbursed by the gas station.

Sand blasted plugs will not last as long as original Iridiums (assuming that's what you're running). The coating will have been worn off, and after a few 100 miles they'll be pretty much shot. You are MUCH better off putting new plugs in there. Keep your receipts, get reimbursed by the gas station.

I plan to. It was actually a lot easier to change the plugs than I thought it would have been, considering the horror stories I've read. What is it about the XX motor that eats up normal plugs so fast?

Many, many years ago in a galaxy far, far away, I ran an '82 750 Virago (that I bought new) out of gas one day :icon_redface: . An old farmer at a roadside produce stand "helped me out" with a gallon of "gas" he had on the back of his truck. The bike didn't immediately start after pouring the gallon of "gas" into it from the old milk jug. Thinking that I had just vapor locked the system or something and that gas needed to reach the bowls :icon_rolleyes: , I drifted down the long hill just past the produce stand. The bike fired about halfway down the hill...seemed to run okay at first but was a little rough. I started up the mountain about a mile past the stand and started noticing a loss of power. About that time I looked in the mirror and it resembled a dense and heavy fog that had completely covered the entire valley I had just passed through. The bike lost so much power that for the last mile or so of climbing the mountain I was running alongside it pushing while slipping the clutch and revving the hell out of it to keep it running at least somewhat. I made it to the top of the mountain and mostly drifted dead down the other side to a gas station about a mile or so away. As soon as I opened the tank and took a sniff I knew it was kerosene. I drained the rest of the gallon out of the tank and refilled with fresh gas. The old Virago fired right up and ran fine after a couple of coughs and sputters. I called an old mechanic friend of mine when I got home and asked him what damage I did. After he stopped laughing he told me that I had just done a really nice job of cleaning the inside of my engine. :icon_rolleyes: Live and learn... :icon_whistle:

I plan to. It was actually a lot easier to change the plugs than I thought it would have been, considering the horror stories I've read. What is it about the XX motor that eats up normal plugs so fast?

Higher compression/etc. is my understanding. The Iridium plugs, especially, don't last very long once the coating is gone. I guess whatever's under the iridium just disintegrates.

It's not a horror story to change the plugs, and if you talk to RedJ, and get a Pair valve removal kit, it's even easier.

I already axed my pair system, posted a thread about it. Maybe that's why I had an easy time. I just pulled the plugs in that ninja 600 I am nursing and it was a lot tougher than the XX was.

Weights and measures called me today, Getty confirmed that they took 300-400 gallons of diesel fuel in the wrong tank. They will pay for any necessary repairs. I'm just going to hit them for a new set of plugs. Wife picked them up today, $16 each. I'm also going to try to get reimbursed for the trip to pick up the bike in the pickup truck (125 miles, gas and tolls) and the $12.50 of diesel I didn't need.

I already axed my pair system, posted a thread about it. Maybe that's why I had an easy time. I just pulled the plugs in that ninja 600 I am nursing and it was a lot tougher than the XX was.

Weights and measures called me today, Getty confirmed that they took 300-400 gallons of diesel fuel in the wrong tank. They will pay for any necessary repairs. I'm just going to hit them for a new set of plugs. Wife picked them up today, $16 each. I'm also going to try to get reimbursed for the trip to pick up the bike in the pickup truck (125 miles, gas and tolls) and the $12.50 of diesel I didn't need.

May as well get a free oil change out of the deal too. I certainly would. Good to hear they aren't going to shirk responsibility.

Bun

Story about iridium plugs.

My son races Quads motocross, and does the Quadwars around the area. At the time he was running my 86 250r two stroke and we had the compression up there. Made 280 pounds compression. Needless to say race gas and good rich jetting. Also good hard kick, no messing around, start it and go.

Was in El paso in front of 20,000 people, in the entrance to the stadium, and called for us to go out for the introductions. I was still racing, but just for show. Beau was the attraction with the guy that was in charge of running the show for clearview. Bobby Pharr. They were to race three times for the win going back and forth and Beau was to end up the winner first and third. Just a show. Everybody else lets them end up the show in first.

Well, we run the first and then the monster trucks do there show, then we do the second race, then the monsters then the third race.

They call for the start of the third and a monster truck has a problem getting off, but Beau is started and waiting, and waiting, and then the motor goes 20,000 rpm!!!!!

I get off and go over and he says he can't kill it, pulled the kill switch, turns the gas off and sticks his hand in the carb. It's smoking and the radiator is boiling. I put it in gear and it promptly burns the clutch up, never moves. I think that with all the people around and in a tunnel it is going to comeapart and kill someone so I push it out into the arena by a trash bin away from people, and a cop comes over and screams at me for going out. Still 20,000 rpm. Maybe 4 mins now. I go to tear the carb off and it turns upside down and the engine dies.

I let Beau ride my bike and Bobby has a problem and Beau ends up winning but they still award Bobby the first place. Its a show ok

Get the bike home and tear it down and the iridium plug Beau put in before the race is without a electrodes. Melted away. Motor is still good as well as the clutch.

The motor ran for 4 or 5 minutes at 20,000 rpm without harm?

Just to be clear, no tach, but was as fast as I have ever heard one spin. Sounded like you opened the carb wide open in neutral.

Motor is still running, of course we re-ringed when we tore down and inspected.