CBR1100XX.org Forum

Another Survey - Gas Mileage...

Obby

Hello everyone, I seem to be getting really shitty gas mileage out of my bird lately ('97 with jetting+exhaust). It's running tits, but damned if i can get more that 120mi. out of a full tank (gas gauge at Empty only, not running with reserve light). What mi. are you guys getting?

i filled up today and got 26mpg. '99, pc2, full exhaust, 16 tooth front sprocket and driving like an absolute dick. my mileage with the stock sprocket was in the low 30s. not sure how much i can get on a tank, i usually fill up around 1/2-1/4 tank.

its funny i can let my dad drive any of my vehicles and he gets better mileage than me :???: . go figure.

Obby ,

I know it sounds like a squidly answer .. but I had the sam problem on mine = 97 - jets/pipes/etc .... Only 200-220k's and then fuel lamp on .... Fully loaded on 3000k round trip ( Phillip Island 2002 ) ..

Then I twigged and tried something different - riding at 100-110kph in 5th gear rather than 6th , my fuel range jumped to 240-250 before fuel lamp came on ... Leaving 6th for +140k's seems to improve low speed economy ..

Like I said , maybe a squid style reply .. but it worked for me ...

Pete

Obby,

I commented when we were using Joe's board that I was getting really bad mileage as well. I changed my plugs, and I'm right back up to where I was - a hell of a lot cheaper to run.

Not sure when you last changed them, but I found my stock Iridium plugs only lasted me for 12,000 Kilometers... That's around 7,500 miles... Of course, I'm sure doing the air filter as well could help get a little higher, but how old are the plugs?

My fuel economy actually went up slightly when I added

the jet kit (under normal riding).

Then again, it's probably because I've been cruising

alot lately and when I do that I generally run about

5K - 5.5K RPM in 5th gear.

My guess, it's the leaner main jet that comes with the

dynojet stage one that I have. (136 mains, I gotz

no aftermarket exhaust on... yet..)

:cool: TJ :cool:

exactly 203.8 miles for the 'entire' tank on a '02 bird (including coasting distance to a standstill up a small grade) ...

of course, the timing was perfect, yesterday sunday evening when most of the gas stations r closed, aaarrrggghhhh :roll: ...

damn, that's the hat trick in less than a year ...

guess i've NOT broken my dependency on the ole reserve switch for carbed bikes ...

I get 40 mpg on average. I have stock pipes and when I put in a jet kit I dropped to 32 mpg. On the dyno I saw a power increase in the mid range but seat of the pants felt no diff. so I took out the jet kit. Changeing the pilot screw settings and drilling the slide hole made the most diff. anyway as far as power smoothness. (no holes in power delivery).

>exactly 203.8 miles for the 'entire' tank on a '02 bird

Much better than I've ever gotten. My best yet is

around 170 for casual day-to-day ride conditions.

150 when I push it..

T

Not sure when you last changed them, but I found my stock Iridium plugs only lasted me for 12,000 Kilometers... That's around 7,500 miles... Of course, I'm sure doing the air filter as well could help get a little higher, but how old are the plugs?

Not sure when the plugs were changed last as this is a faily new bike to me (5 weeks old). Like i said though, it's idling great and runs clean and powerfull throughout the powerband. I'm only getting about 30 mpg on average though (25 when riding hard). Maybe this is average for this size bike.

The rear sproket has been dropped by 1 tooth. Maybe that's what's causing the problem. I'll be doing my first service as soon as my manual arrives. When i do the oil, i'll check the air filter and maybe the plugs (what a bitch it is getting to them). Hopefully i will find something wrong. As it is now... I feel like i'm chasing gas stations on long rides.

I have been lurking around this forum for a few weeks now. Mostly trying to gather some information on, what I consider to be, one of the better looking Liter bikes available today. In fact, I may have to just purchase one of these in the not to distant future.

At any rate, I have a few thoughts about this subject. My experiences with fuel economy and large cc engines come from owning an 86 FJ1200 and a 2002 K1200RS. It’s obvious that the faster you want to go, the more fuel you will burn. It’s also clear that once you added an exhaust and re-jetted the carbs, you began allowing more fuel to get to the motor thus creating more horsepower. Again lowering your fuel economy when under harder acceleration. My FJ1200 (before modifying it) was usually in the 40mpg range. After the mods, I was lucky to be in the mid to low 30’s. As for the K12, that remains stock (however, it only has 700+ miles on it). During break in, trying my best to keep the rpm’s under 4K, I saw 45mpg. Then I did the first service and took the bike out for a little ride. Yes I did ride it a bit harder and yes the mileage showed that fact. I was in the low 30’s.

Another thing you may want to take into consideration is the fact that the sprocket was changed. Sure, it was only one tooth in the rear, but was the front sprocket changed? If so, does this affect the way the odometer reads the mileage. It may be reading the miles wrong and you could be doing better than you think! Or maybe even worse!?

Other things that have been stated…..

Oil, a motor with fresh oil tends to get better mileage.

Plugs, same idea.

Tires, are they inflated properly?

Riding conditions, when you notice bad mileage, is there a noticeable head wind?

You get the idea.

I know this does not answer your question about actual mileage, but maybe it will help you in determining why the mileage isn’t what you think it should be.

- Ray

Ray (aka RDosdorian), quit shooting you mouth off. You don't even own a Blackbird. You own an '02 BMW K1200RS... so let the BBird owner's help me out here. I'm trying to get an answer on the Beasts gas mileage. When I want your opinion, i will scape it off my zipper.

25-30 mph doesn't sound right.

:whip: My Bitch!

Ps. Guys, this is my riding buddy. Only he can put up with me. :wink: