CBR1100XX.org Forum

Just got mine

JDxx

:icon_biggrin: Hello everyone. I just got my Blackbird a few weeks ago. 2002 with 2476 miles on it. So far Ive put 1400 miles on it and cant/nor want to stop. This bike is awsume!!!!!!! Im on the coast in northen california and the roads here are tight twisted and some of them quite rough. The bike rides great, I will probably change the springs this winter to see if I can mak it even better. Anyway sorry so long, I just love talking about this bike though,on some of the bigger bumps,middle of the corners rough stuff left me wishing I had a sterring damper. Ive looked and even emaild hyperpro but cannot find one for my machine...

Heeelllppp... please...

Are you sure your suspension is set up correctly?

+1. If you are feeling headshake, it's possible the PO raised the ride height too much and

the bike has become unstable.

Bike is bone stock. no head shake. Just would like a little resistance for those bumpy corners. Oh and wheelies. I know some people here have them. I will costom fab a universal damper if I have to. some pics from someone who has done it or has a kit would be great. Thank you.

May want to adjust rear preload and swap out the cushy fork springs first.

These land rockets do not need a damper.

Thanks for the link Northman.. And Josh Im pretty new to this so any links to suspension info would be great.

Consider alternate possibilities.

Suspension settings changed?

Too much weight on the bike?

Gripping the handlebars instead of the tank?

Poorly worn tires?

The XX isn't an inherent headshaker in the corners. But if you just have it in your head that you need a steering damper, Northman's fix is the best you'll get. Hyperpro has discontinued its mounting kit, and you would have had to adapt it to your later model XX anyway.

How about an update.

I agree that if your XX needs a steering damper, then something is wrong. If the tires were not brand new I would consider that first. The XX is bad for wierd tread wear (cupping) on the front tire.

marty

in bought a universal scotts and made my own mounting. just drilled holes into the frame, and drilled two holes into upper tree.

had to mount it upside down, but many people do.it's not pretty here, because i just wanted to get it on. it'll be prettier this winter.

post-2770-1186420867.jpg

in bought a universal scotts and made my own mounting. just drilled holes into the frame, and drilled two holes into upper tree.

had to mount it upside down, but many people do.it's not pretty here, because i just wanted to get it on. it'll be prettier this winter.

post-2770-1186421139.jpg

:icon_eek: Dayum! Farkle City. If I did not crash it winding the turbo up I'd crash it looking at all the gauges. A fookin real cockpit man! Like the real Black Bird! :icon_evilgrin:

Back on topic I think you've already ID'ed the one weakness of the bird but when you look at the suspension this winter you should make it ride right. Someone mentioend tires and someone else steering head bearings and both of those are valid. I concur that the XX should not need a damper.

Sounds like the typical undersprung and undervalved XX suspension, probably not set up perfectly (and/or maybe an under-torqued steering stem nut) is the problem. The front suspension is the biggest deficiency in the stock XX, IMO. I put a Traxxion AK-20 kit in mine (and a Penske on the rear) and it rocks. (Pricey, though.)

Only steering damper I've seen on an XX is on Howie's '01 (xrdracer), but that bike is a LOONNNNGGGG way from being a stock or even normally farkled XX -- RC-51 front forks, $2500 TSR swingarm and more racing goodies on it (suiting the rider/owner) than on any XX I've seen.

I have to say that the stretch of Hwy 1 from where it turns away from the coast to where it hits 101 at Leggett (in either direction) has to be one of the VERY BEST twisty roads (esp with the resurfacing a year or two ago) anywhere, and with where I live, I'm not saying that because I lack for GREAT twisty roads. Enjoy and welcome!

" Hello everyone. I just got my Blackbird a few weeks ago"

Which means that you might want to get used to it before you make any changes to it. As others have said, this bike handles pretty good as is. True, the suspension is a bit stiff, but a steering damper is one thing it doesn't need. Try a Super Brace - it may solve your problem.

Your previous bike(s) may also be influencing your impressions of the XX, as well as any riding instruction you have had. Or haven't had.

I want to say thanks for all the replies. :icon_biggrin: this is my first street bike in about ten years, besides a xr650L, Ive had several streetbikes before though. Most of my riding has been on the dirt Ive had a bunch of dirt bikes and atv's, currently a 2002 kx250. I like to beat, I beat everyting. :icon_twisted: Even the bird. Ive put two g miles on this bike and agree it dosent need a damper in high speed handling. But Around town, in the dirt and over Comptche Ukiah road (one twisty bumpy ass fun ride) I would like resitance to the steering falling and kicking. I will take pictures of the road to post soon as I get back out there. These damn linked brakes gotta go too. :icon_confused:

I agree with previous posts that a steering damper is by no means necessary on the bird. I have one installed though and like it a lot. More importantly than the added bling factor, it calms down the bike and the handlebars noticeable on uneven roads and it feels much better not to have steering wiggles when the front tyre contacts ground after power wheelies. One has to be very careful though not to kill the bikes built in capability to run in a straight line. If the damper is set to hard it could induce a chassie weave at high speeds.