CBR1100XX.org Forum

need bike specifications

tofastgt

I just purchased a 1999 CBR 1100 XX. I can't find any information for type of oil to use, recommendend fuel octane rating, or anything about capacities for the fluids. I can't find type of spark plug to use either. If anyone can give me this information or direct me where to find it, I would greatly appreciate it. I'm picking up the bike tomorrow, and would like to give it a once over. Thanks

I just purchased a 1999 CBR 1100 XX. I can't find any information for type of oil to use, recommendend fuel octane rating, or anything about capacities for the fluids. I can't find type of spark plug to use either. If anyone can give me this information or direct me where to find it, I would greatly appreciate it. I'm picking up the bike tomorrow, and would like to give it a once over. Thanks

how many quarts of oil?

how many quarts of oil?

I've been using synthetic 10w-40. Either Castrol Syntec or Mobil 1 depending on what's on sale. Also been using a Purolator 14612 oil filter. Sometimes it takes 4 quarts per change, sometimes a bit more. I think the manual states 4.1 qts. with filter change. I use regular unleaded. 99 model year has a larger tank than my 97, and uses different plugs so I can't help you there.

Oh and welcome to the nuthouse. Feel free to ask questions, and remember there are no stupid questions, only stupid people :icon_biggrin:

Below the listing for The Garage is another titled Important/Useful threads.

Go there and download the service manual. This will give you information on what oils and spark plugs to use as well as maintainance intervals, fluid capacities, and torque values.

From a casual perspective, use any decent oil, synthetic or not, in a viscosity suitable for the temperature where you ride. Use iridium plugs...that's what came in the bike, and they work. The recommended octane will vary depending on what country you are in...you didn't share that with us. Here in the US and Canada, 87 octane seems to work just fine. Fuel injected XX's like yours have a knock sensor that retards the timing in case of preignition, so using to poor a grade of gas should not be a concern for you if you are in North America. Some of the really poor grades in underdeveloped countries have been known to be a problem.

what they said.

one thing to remember, spell correctly, you can be band (BANNED :icon_wink: ) from the site if you don't.

and welcome. Ron

:icon_whistle::icon_rolleyes: