CBR1100XX.org Forum

Akra full system PCIII maps, 02 XX

Mithrandir

This has been discussed before, but last I remember, noone has managed to put up a map for the setup. My pipe and PCIII should be turning up at the end of the week so I'm going to be needing maps shortly.

Two questions:

- Was it the euro Micron slipon map that others were using?

- I'll be doing a proper dyno setup if there is no map available. I'm going to get two maps made - all out power and economy (for touring). This will cost me around $300 to do (full day on a dyno). For that cost, I don't really want to just dump the maps on the net for anyone to download, but if folks are interested in chipping in $5-10 or so I'll forward the maps on. I figure there's only 20 or 30 people that have this combo, so I don't want to make a profit, but I'd like to help pay for some of the time on the dyno too. Out of interest, how many would be interested in this?

Things are looking good. Got 5 others interested in the map so far. I rang up Mike Velasco Racing yesterday to book an appointment. Didn't hear anything back, but I did dial up late in the day. Hope to hear from them Monday or Tuesday and will book in for next week if possible (my pipes/PCIII haven't turned up yet).

PGA - If you're putting a PCIII in there, you'll need to put in the O2 sensor block-offs. After that, everything else is the same wrt to the maps used etc.

Thanks Mith, and since I am learning all of this as I go, I assume when I order the system they will include the O2 block offs if I tell them I have a Cali model. BTW, what exactly are you getting as far as Akra model, etc.

P.S. I was torn between the look of dual slip-ons, and the performance & price of a full system. I just can't pass on the full though.

Lance

You'll need to pay for the block-offs separately. IIRC, it is $15 for one and you'll need two of them.

The model I"m getting is the Ti Sport Production model. Basically a 4-2-1 full race system. I was a bit like you with the duals as I prefer that look on the XX, but for the money it was hard to beat the full system. It's the only time I'd ever be able to put an exhaust like that on a bike I reckon! For all the other bikes I've owned, the cost for an equivalent system has been well over the $1200 mark. It was an offer too good to refuse :)

BTW, did you see my other post about the price you can acquire an akra system on special for right now? If not, have a look in the pub section about it. I ended up paying $979 total with the PCIII, shipping etc (to WA). You'd need to add $30 to that and probably CA sales tax as you're a local.

While we are on the subject....Here is what I'm after: the most performance-enhancing bang for the buck. Will the Akra full system w/ a PCIII will add more HP, enhance drivability, and reduce weight more effectively than the slip on route? That is what I am assuming. I love my centerstand, but I figure I can get a Pit-Bull or something similar if I have to lose it. Not to mention that the full system is less than slip-ons. Oh yeah, I would like to have a deeper, throatier exhaust note also.

RE Centre stand. I thought I saw a thread where a member machined a piece to allow him to keep the centre stand. Any ideas?

Why are Akro systems cheaper for the XX than for any other bike? I got quoted a price of over 40% less than if I put the same system on a 929. :?:

Full system is definitely the most bang-for-buck mod on the blackbird. I remember somewhere on the old board that a dyno run was posted and with no PC setup work it gave +18 RWHP. Hard to find that sort of increase anywhere else for $700!

You can do the full systems without the PC, but it is recommended. The main gain will be better responsiveness - the 5000rpm hole disappears and the on-off throttle response smoothed out.

For the center-stand, I've just ordered the 2bros kit for it. Cost $41 inc shipping. There's a part number floating around in one of the other threads. That allows you to keep the stand, although some minor mods will be needed if you're like me and going to raise the rear ride height. Someone did a mod to the stand itself by welding a piece in. I don't have access to the resources to do that, but if you do, then go for it.

Exhaust note will be deeper for any aftermarket exhaust system. You will get more bass with carbon cans compared to Ti or Al.

Weight saving - the majority of it will be saved in going to slipons as it is the cans that are the heaviest part of the system. If you go the full-system with 4 into 1, then you'll save a reasonable amount more. IIRC someone was claiming a 35lb difference between the full system and stock.

As for what the Akra system is so cheap for the XX - NFI. Seems very strange. Maybe they're just not selling enough of them so they're getting rid of stock?

You'll need to pay for the block-offs separately. IIRC, it is $15 for one and you'll need two of them.

This is INCORRECT(regardless of what Dynojet says)---you only need one--- a 300Ohmm resistor across the two white O2 wires will do the same thing--Its kind of a bitch to undo the connector--but with a little advanced yoga technique you'll get there--Trust me, unlike Mirth--Ive done it

Also the Akra will come with a a bung that is NOT punched out--if you had your heart set on keeping your 02 sensor--you can drill/tap it out---all the 02 sensor does on the XX is lean out the mixture at constant partial throttle--but its your call

I remember somewhere on the old board that a dyno run was posted and with no PC setup work it gave +18 RWHP

Again--this is incredibly optimistic (polite for complete BS, especially w/o a PC3/custom map)---most likely two different dynos, My bike put out 140/80 bone stock--I would be amazed if it put out close to 160--with the pipe--look for closer to a 10HP delta with a good map---and you will lose a little bottom end under 3K---see Akra graph http://www.akrapovic-ai.si/main/main.htm

Akra has some graphs on there website for a 98 XX I believe--I would only look at the increase though as most dynos vary in absolute, looks like about 7HP--but carries out the HP better at high end--FI will help a tad, but not 2-3X.

Finally there are two things to watch installing the pipe

1) keep it off your lower fairing, by first trying to alighn it away from the plastic, or put a washer under the lower, front bottom bolt--if it is touching the fairing, it WILL melt it

2) shim your rear at least 6mm or the pipe will drag by the collector w/6mm shim, this goes away--it would most likely go away with beefier front/rear springs as well

Righto, booked in with Mike Velasco Racing on the 12th May. Couldn't get in any earlier because he's busy with the AMA season.

Alpha, the +18 was not optimisitic. On the old Ezboard, someone posted a dyno chart with the figures on it. It when from 125 to 143 at the wheel, not projected at the engine. So it was at least done on the same dyno. Just trying to find the thread now. I'll edit if the old forums are still searchable. Lost of stuff by you about the Akra, but you yourself are saying you're using the DJ sensor elimnator kit as per this thread:

Akrapovicz Sport Production System

or get the Dynojet--O2 sensor plugs----or solder a 300 Ohm resistor across the two white wires----I used the dynojet plug---

Righto, booked in with Mike Velasco Racing on the 12th May. Couldn't get in any earlier because he's busy with the AMA season.

Alpha, the +18 was not optimisitic. On the old Ezboard, someone posted a dyno chart with the figures on it. It when from 125 to 143 at the wheel, not projected at the engine. So it was at least done on the same dyno. Just trying to find the thread now. I'll edit if the old forums are still searchable. Lost of stuff by you about the Akra, but you yourself are saying you're using the DJ sensor elimnator kit as per this thread:

Akrapovicz Sport Production System

Actually verbatim--I said this---

"Anyone installed and run an Akra full 4-2-1 system on a Cali 2002 'Bird without installing the PCIII? I've gathered that installing one eeks out more performance "

----yes it runs fine ---No stutter or other irregularities---ran mine that way for a couple of weeks----however---you either have to drill/tap the O2 sensor in the bung---or get the Dynojet--O2 sensor plugs----or solder a 300 Ohm resistor across the two white wires----

I used the dynojet plug---no issues or weirdness despite popular "opinions"

---Not sure why you are confused???
or get the Dynojet--O2 sensor plugs----or solder a 300 Ohm resistor across the two white wires----I used the dynojet plug---

That is absolutely correct---I used a 300Ohm resitor on the 929, and a plug on the XX, but there is only a single plug on the XX--

I will give you $20 (towards your map) if you get an 18HP INCREASE with the pipe AND a custom map(same dyno)---sounds to me like someone is seriously "yankin your chain" (It when from 125 to 143 at the wheel, on the 18HP w/o a PC)--my stock bike out 140HP on Dans Dynojet(at the rear wheel--plot was posted on the old sight)----125HP from a XX sounds incredibly low---even if you do have a pair of socks stuck in the RAM inlets

-Although Akra is "conservative" in their claims--7HP versus 18HP is a pretty big delta---- why you assume because you have two "@ the rear wheel" dyno runs, the dynos are the same is beyond me... Now if you can find two plots from the same dyno plotted against each other..that might be interesting.

BTW---even on the same dyno, same conditions you will see a 1-2 HP variation from run to run

Here is the part # to save centerstand.

OK here goes--- the part # is 005-68-01-CB (fits all years)

If you go with the Akra system it sounds like you have to modify this part even further to keep it off of the chain.

Can't wait to hear how all this fiddlin' works out for ya Mith, because I think I'm getting over my head on this one. I thought the VFR bars were major surgery. :oops: Oh well, have to learn sometime right?

Lance

Exhausts + PCIII aren't that hard to work with. Just a case of twirling the right spanners. PCIII just plugs straight in on the existing connectors so it's almost trivial to work with them! Of course, photos are coming. All my bits left CA today so they should be here end of week. Annnnndd... the fork valve kits are here too.

http://www.vlc.com.au/~justin/about/bikes/.../st_all_kit.jpg

Going to Rich's tomorrow for a custom seat too. Yippee!!! :grin: :grin:

I have an Akra exhaust and Alpha-Bird recommended raising the

ride height and he is right. The Akra scapes easily, so this is a MUST.

I posted the centerstand bracket # in another thread. I had to add

a 1/4 inch piece of rubber to gain more clearance for the chain.

Raising your ride height will require this addition.

Oh, and for what it's worth, I only got 10.1 HP increase.

Best part is--it showed up at 4200 rpm and stayed there to

redline. Air/Fuel ratio maintined at 14:1 through-out.

98 Carbed

Cal

Hey CalcXX, What are the basic steps for raising ride height? I remember Joe posted a great idea where he cut the washers so he didn't have to remove the shock or something like that, I'm not sure. That thread was lost when the board crashed :cry:

Thanks, Lance

That's what I did also, used 2 fender washer, and cut a section out of them with a cutting wheel so they were U shaped. Loosened up the main rear shock bolt and slipped them under, between the top of the shock and the frame. Tightened it up and it's been good. Lighter and quicker steering. Oh I did have to extend the center stand bump stop by a 1/4 so the stand didn't hit the chain.

Thanks guys. BTW, Hardracing.com is running the sale through end of May I guess. They are great to deal with. The female answering the phone actually knows the product :shock: . Now I just have to order the C-stand kit from 2bros. I love tax return checks!! :grin:

LE