CBR1100XX.org Forum

Avon Storms

Iceman_40

I just threw a set of them on and I absolutely love them so far. Granted I don't have many miles on them yet, however they beat the Azaros in my opinion. Even after about 60 miles, I felt comfortable enough to start railing in the twisties. Even before they were, what I would call, "properly scrubbed in" they were fantastic for some pretty hard riding. Turn in is unreal, but then again it usually is with a new front. It is noticably faster than the Azaro and comparable, maybe even more than the Venom I had on the front previously. Getting ready to take a 4k + mile trip, so we'll see how mileage is after that.

Bun

I've only got 150 miles on my pair, but they're noticeably less "squirmy" when new: the tread isn't as deep, and they scrub in pretty frikkin' fast (maybe 25-30 miles or so). When I get rain out here I'll let you know about the silica compound and how well they stick.

Bryan...they spooned on easier than the 45/46 combo...

I've got 5k on my set and they rock! Sticky and smooth, warm up quick and handle extremely well in all conditions too...

My rear tire will need to be replaced in about another 1000 miles but it's still holding up well. The front looks brand new! I love these tires and will definately buy them again! They're not quite as sticky as Qualifiers, but they're damned close... I've yet to have them slip and have the rear nicely scrubbd over to less than a 1/4" chicken strip. I just got back from slabbing 1000 miles around the lake and with 5k on them the rear still doesn't have a significant flat spot in the center. From the looks of it I'll get another 5k out of the front too... And, I'm not very nice to my tires either. I run them hard. Hard launches, wheelies, two up riding, etc...They're the best tires I've owned to date for the street.

:icon_thumbsup: :icon_thumbsup: :icon_thumbsup:

• 4 months later...

These have been on my FJR1300 for approximately 4,000 miles. There is a obvious flat spot on the rear (There are no curves in Michigan) and the front is starting to show a very strange wear pattern. I can also feel a bit of cupping on the front tire.

I have Pilot Roads on the XX and I will definately put those on the FJR when the Storms are worn out. I don't expect the Storms to last anywhere near the mileage that I've gotten from three sets of Pilot Roads on the XX.

Finally..... I noticed this at the SW Moto Tire website. "Avon StormAV55 120/70R-17 not recommended by swmototires"

I've got them on my F4i. I put them on right before my trip up and down and around the blue ridge parkway. They got a real workout. I have the AV55 and 56 setup. I ran about 2k miles.

Pros:

Seem to warm up quick - my bridgestones where the same way

Rode them at least 100 miles in cold wet. They did well.

Zero chicken strips and i really get off the bike - never felt like a lowslide was coming

Good feedback. When i felt the limit was coming then started to slightly skip or scrub. I knew to decrease the lean some. Could have been road conditions too...you never know.

Sweet profile. They beg to turn in.

Cons:

I don't think they are going to last that long.

$$$ my set was about 250+ mounting. Not cheap not expensive. Middle of the road.

I'd buy them again.

I got just under 4000 miles on mine and they are all that was mentioned above excpet I did not personally find the feedback that good. They dont just cut away in that hard downhill off camber turn but I've always considered Dunlops one of the best feedback tires made. the ST does not talk to me that much but is compliant.

Mine wont make 5000 miles (prolly 4500 miles max). I do ride hard on crappy roads and half of this was two up riding FWIW.

The best you know is the best you've ridden. One @sshat in my town bags every tire out there but has never rode anything but Michi's. :icon_rolleyes: Ya gots ta try'em.

Since I was the one who started this thread I figure I'll add my 2c...

I put the tires on my XX in Nova Scotia, rode a week or so on twisty roads, loved the storms, seemed to grip really well wet/dry and turned quite easy. I had no chicken strips left after the week. I then rode 5000+ miles on them back home. They seemed good in the wet and dry on the way back, tires have a flat spot from riding the highway but they still seem to have a few thousand miles left on them.

Here is me at Shady Valley this past weekend...riding Avon Storms. No slippage what-so-ever. The only slidin' was on wet leaves. I only have about 2,000 miles on them, but they are holding up well so far. I'm also a fan of the Conti Road Attacks. You can't go wrong with either.

xxshadyvalley.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

So far I don’t care for them. They turn in slow almost a fight till you get used to them. However when down shifting hard and the rear breaks loose the tire makes a cool squealing noise like truck tires. Still haven’t pushed them to their limits yet so they still have a chance to change my mind.

These have been on my FJR1300 for approximately 4,000 miles. There is a obvious flat spot on the rear (There are no curves in Michigan) and the front is starting to show a very strange wear pattern. I can also feel a bit of cupping on the front tire.

I have Pilot Roads on the XX and I will definately put those on the FJR when the Storms are worn out. I don't expect the Storms to last anywhere near the mileage that I've gotten from three sets of Pilot Roads on the XX.

Finally..... I noticed this at the SW Moto Tire website. "Avon StormAV55 120/70R-17 not recommended by swmototires"

Anyone know why not reccommended? I noticed that too!

• 1 month later...

Anyone know why not reccommended? I noticed that too!

i used 5 sets of avon azaro's on my fjr and xx, and am on my second pair of storms on my xx. got about 8000 miles out of the first pair of storms, but the front tire was in bad shape. i check my tires pretty close (closer now) and within about 200 miles the front tire went from being fine (not down to the wear bars yet) to having the tread separate from the tire carcas. it was bubbling up in several places. i had the tire changed out immediately and the tech that changed it said that after seeing that tire he couldn't believe i was putting another storm on. it freaked him out. i have had good luck with them, and 1 tire going bad at 8000 miles is not enought to convince me to change yet. it is hard to capture what was wrong, in a picture, but here's my best shot.

also note that these tires are always run at 42psi. and that may look like cupping to some, but i asssure you it is not. i know what cupping looks like. the bubbles, if you pressed on them, felt as if the rubber was less than 1/8 inch thick. also, 1/3 of the tire was worn completely normal, and another thing is that the bubbling was more pronounced on 1 side of the tread than the other. you can see in the 1 picture how the rubber is cracking as the tread is separating. pretty weird.

-bret

post-2971-1198348276.jpg

post-2971-1198348489.jpg

Bret

Are you getting the fronts replaced for free? I think there were some problems with some of the early Storms (fronts) and if you call Avon they will set you up with a authorized dealer to look at it for warranty replacement. I have a set with about 6K, and they are holding up nicely. Not going to get the miles of the Azaros, but a lot stickier. I will definitely be putting another set on my XX and Busa when the time comes.

Randy

Bret

Are you getting the fronts replaced for free? I think there were some problems with some of the early Storms (fronts) and if you call Avon they will set you up with a authorized dealer to look at it for warranty replacement. I have a set with about 6K, and they are holding up nicely. Not going to get the miles of the Azaros, but a lot stickier. I will definitely be putting another set on my XX and Busa when the time comes.

Randy

hey randy, long time no talk.

i was in such a hurry to get new tires put on that i didn't mess with the warranty issue. i did let avon know about the problem, just so they would be informed. the day i discovered the faulty tire, it was replaced. it had 8000 miles on it so i wasn't going to mess with the warrany, but i believe they would have taken care of me if i had pursued it.

as far as mileage, i think they will be on par with the azaros, at least with my riding style.

later.

-bret

Avon replaced my defective front Storm with approximately 4,000 miles on it. The replacement tire is smooth, vibration-free, and causes absolutely no head shake at any speed. Huge difference from the original Storm.

Nevertheless, I did write to Avon regarding my dissatisfaction over the excessive wear on the rear Storm, and asked if the Azaros might ever be made available in the future.

Here's the response that I got from Avon:

==============================================================================

Thank you for contacting Avon Tyres. We apologize for your dissatisfaction with the Storms. The Azaro did have an amazing life expectancy, more so than almost all of the competition. Avon wanted to make our sport touring tire more aggressive with a softer tread compound to increase grip and we have noticed in doing so that the tire would not last as long on the bigger bikes as compared to smaller bikes around 1000cc. We will not be producing the Azaro in those sizes, however we will be making a reinforced Storm in certain sizes on bigger bikes to help with stability and hopefully add mileage.

Jesse Peril

Avon Customer Service

c/o Hoppe & Assoc, Inc.

PO. Box 5112

Lynnwood, WA 98036 USA

Tel: 800-624-7470, Fax: 425-771-4246