CBR1100XX.org Forum

Throttle lock

CBR-RR-XX-CESS

That's a little pricey. I don't see the problem with the standard NEP control, since the very action of braking also naturally rolls of the throttle. I've got at least 200k miles on bikes with the NEP, with never any issue or close call. I even use it in the city.

You might want to have a look at the VistaCruise throttle lock...AZ Motorsports has 'em for $21...I thought they looked a bit cheezy at first, and haven't used one, but the folks across the pond really swear by them and say they are extremely durable (the cheaper model is anyway...the more expensive model is junk, apparently) :cool: anyone have any experience with them here?

I definitley recommend the Vista Cruise. I bought it for my FJ1100 about 15 years ago, and just transferred it to my CBR1100xx. It is durable, simple and works. You can set the pressure on it so you can easily override the lock and close the throttle if you need to. And it is CHEAP. I paid $12 15 years ago and $21 now seems reasonable.

BTW: I rode with a friend who has a BMW 1200GT with electronic cruise control. I think these cost about $1,000 :oops: and the only advantage is that it maintains speed whether going uphill or down. Probably not worth the difference in price-eh?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having trouble fitting mine. Just got it today from AZ Motorsports. Honda dual throttle. Called them to see if I have right one, and she said that Vista Cruise doesn't make one for the XX. Did you guys modify?? Just went back to main site and Carlos says only NEP w/ modification will work. Tim? Veloxx? In the mean time, I will check IXXRA.

Thanks, Lance

Maybe this will help...............

Vista Cruise Modification for the XX

The Vista Cruise can be modified to fit the XX as follows:

Vista Cruise Model needed: purchase the 'cruise that says "suitable for most Honda dual throttle".

Tools needed: hack saw, file or rasp, coarse sandpaper.

1) There are two tabs at right angles to the mounting ring on the 'cruise. Cut off the tab farthest from the hinge on the ring.

2) With the file, narrow the other tab until it will fit between the cable guides on the throttle body.

3) With the sandpaper, enlarge the hole that the grip fits thru. sand and fit until the throttle turns smoothly.

4) Remove the rubber grip and loosen the bar-end wt.

5) Install the Vista Cruise and replace the grip.

6) Twist and pull the bar-end out about an extra 1/8 inch to allow free turning of the throttle.

7) Adjust Vista Cruise as package directs.

This sounds like a hassle but it only takes a half an hour. when you're done, it works great and is much easier to use than the Throttlemeister type of control. The 'Cruise lever is easy to hit with gloves and it is invisible as an add on. I find I use mine on slow, rough roads to avoid surging as well as the more typical use to relieve your right hand on long stretches.

Good luck, Jay

I have the vista cruise, but I found the way that is described on the site puts the thumb control too low. I notched the area between the two tabs, and put a small screw threw the bracket to act as a lock. This gets the thumb control up higher for easier use (for me anyway). The only downside is I have to remove it to trailer the bike. I'm sure I've got pics around here somewhere, if you all would like to see it.

The vista cruise sux for the bird. Worked great on the 1000F

though.. (just put it on and go...)

The throttlemeister is the way to go on the XX in my opinion.

It really kills vibration in addition to locking the throttle..

:cool: TJ :cool:

I noticed the thumb control would be too low also. Furbird, would love to see the pics if convenient for ya.

Thanks, Lance :)

Appreciate the tips on Throttlemeister, but since I already have the Cruise...I might as well try.

Lance,

check out the BIRD site in the UK...they have complete instructions, with photographs, on the VistaCruise installation. JAWS, or any number of others can give some supplementary, first-hand info on the installation and any quirks that may exist, if needed beyond what our folks here can help with.

http://www.superblackbird.org/forum/showth...highlight=vista

Jim

Holy shit, that's a lot of work. Take a look at the info for the NEP lock that I have on the site. It's ready to install as it is, and has the thumb lever in the right place. With the simple custom install I outlined, it's more secure than a standard installation. $18

Thanks for the link veloxx, but my throttle housing is different, and so is the lock. Damn. :sad:

Carlos, thanks for the advice on the NEP. Since I can't go the UK way on the Vista mod, I'll do the NEP. I think I'll just ride up and get it at Chaparral. Paully and I did 300 mi. today and that lock would have been nice at times.

I guess the only stupid question left to ask is, "is the throttle housing different on an '02 compared to your '00? I ask because the write-up on the UK site shows a different one than I have, and I don't want to be in same situation :???:

Thanks again,

Lance

P.S.- One of these days someone will have a golf question.... and well, I'm the "Swampnut" or "Joe" on that topic. Bring it on :grin: Luckily, we are all too busy riding and don't have time to play. :wink:

The right side housings in the US are the same across all years. I didn't realize the right housing is different in Europe. The left one is, with a flash-to-pass button. Left housing also changed in '99 (choke removed).

Upon further review, I see it is infact the same. :oops: The picture had the lines that Jaws drew (to show where to cut the lock) superimposed on the housing and I couldn't see it clearly. Heading out up the coast in a couple days and I know I'll be jonesin' for that lock after all the testimonials. My hand (I broke it snowboarding two years ago) was feeling fatigued after only 300 mi. yesterday. Paully had the throttle lock and it sure looked relaxing resting/stretching that throttle hand once in a while.

Thanks, Lance

Holy shit, that's a lot of work.  Take a look at the info for the NEP lock that I have on the site.  It's ready to install as it is, and has the thumb lever in the right place.  With the simple custom install I outlined, it's more secure than a standard installation.  $18

Lance I put the Nep on a few months back, I didn't drill a hole and use the "set" screw method, I just put some double sided tape on the tab underneath

the throttle housing, still works beautifully and only 19$ at ECC. :grin: