CBR1100XX.org Forum

Leaving the bike outside during the day

BarryG

I had been parking it in a covered garage at work. It's about a 5 minute walk to my building. Lately though I've been parking it right in front of my building outside. Reasons ....saves me time, don't have to walk in the gear more than a few feet...etc.

Question...does letting the bike roast in the sun shorten the life of any internals or does it really just wear down the paint job?

internals will be just fine.

Paint will be fine.

The only things that'll dull are the non-painted plastic panels under the clip-ons, the guage surrounds, and maybe seat in the long term.

Mine sits outside every day at work, and in 2-1/2 years of that, the only thing to dull is the top of the un-painted GIVI top box is starting to get light spots.

Mike

Get a half-cover from anywhere for about $30. I got mine from the stealership. The sun will bake away plastic. It will also eventually turn your pretty gauges and switches from red to pink to pale pink to trash.

Get a half-cover from anywhere for about $30. I got mine from the stealership. The sun will bake away plastic. It will also eventually turn your pretty gauges and switches from red to pink to pale pink to trash.

Hey I like that idea.....I could stash the 1/2 cover in my backpack too.

Of course by the time I take the cover out and put it on the bike.....almost will take the same amount of time to walk from the garage....

Paint will be fine.

The only things that'll dull are the non-painted plastic panels under the clip-ons, the guage surrounds, and maybe seat in the long term.

Mine sits outside every day at work, and in 2-1/2 years of that, the only thing to dull is the top of the un-painted GIVI top box is starting to get light spots.

Mike

I use 303 Protectant for unpainted plastic surfaces.

030340-AP16Duo.jpg

Found this stuff for my Jeep. It works great on unpainted plastics. It's made for marine applications; I figure they know about protecting plastic in the sun.

Available in boat stores.

Paint will be fine.

Mike

030340-AP16Duo.jpg

Found this stuff for my Jeep. It works great on unpainted plastics. It's made for marine applications; I figure they know about protecting plastic in the sun.

DUDE! BUYING THIS WEEKEND!

Thanks!

Mike

Paint will be fine.

Mike

030340-AP16Duo.jpg

DUDE! BUYING THIS WEEKEND!

Thanks!

Mike

Me too...thanks, mule!

Paint will be fine.

Mike

Come on Mike, tell the truth.

Barry, Mike isn't the best source for infomation on this subject.

The half inch of dirt keeps the sun off of the paint so obviously there's no dulling or fading! :icon_evilgrin:

Walking is good for you. If it were me, it would be in the parking garage. No sun, no rain, no bird poop, no strong gust of wind to knock it over, no dog lifting it's leg on it, no homeless guy from sitting on it, well I guess you get the point.

Keep it the garage................It'll take you longer to put on and take off the cover than your walk to the garage.

Non painted surfaces will eventually go to hell. This affects resale value as this is what you are looking at all the time when you are riding.

Keep it the garage................It'll take you longer to put on and take off the cover than your walk to the garage.

Nelson-Rigg. Casual on an off times...

From dismount, to out of the Beetles, strapped on, and ready to walk: 35 seconds.

From arrival to rolled up and back in the Beetles: 20 seconds.

Times could be cut by 30% if I was in a hurry...

5 minutes walk,,,,,,,,,,,,,no way,,,,,,,what is the point in "saving" the bike if you are wasting your time,,,,,,,,,,,

I used to put cover on my bike years ago,there was just so much dust and crap coming from airplanes ( O`Hare ),,,,,,,,,,,,,

As far as plastics,you can always refresh them anyway,,,,,,,,,

Nelson Rigg makes nice lightweight covers for about 40 bucks,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

So, it would be 10 minutes per day,or almost 1 hr per week,let`s say someone makes 20 bucks/hour,,,,,,,,,,,,,50 weeks,,,,,,,,,,,,,,all the walking would cost Grand per year,,,,,,,,,,,,,,well,,,,,,,I would not be parking in the garage,,,,,, :icon_whistle:

Today is the first day in over a year that I have NOT parked my bike in the garage. It's been out front in the parking lot all day. It's been overcast here lately so it didn't get roasted. Maybe I'll get the cover....we'll see. The bike stays beauteeeful in the garage but yeah...then leaving work sort of becomes this "process" of hiking down there. Don't get me wrong I like to walk.....I walk 4-5 miles a day intentionally but I just wanna get the hell in and out fast when it comes to work. I'll probably continue with the garage and just leave 5 min earlier. What good is a cover if it's gonna end up with bird shit all over it anyway?

Mine sits in the garage when it's not used, but during the week it sits outside all day baking in the sun at work. The seat is faded, the black plastic is fading, all the black plastic near the gauges are fading, the back GIVI is pretty much toast (almost grey now). Keep in mind I'm in the Toronto area (about 60 miles north of Buffalo). So the further south you are, the more sunbaking you are going to get.

I went and got some megiares (sp) back to black. It is not black, it's actually a white creme, but man, it brings the black back. You need to do a couple coats to be sure it's even, and then the plastic is slick, but looks pretty good actually.

Yes it a proven fact the sun will fade a paint job over the years even on plastic I have had several quad's/dirtbikes the more they are left out, & only buffing the clear coat will make it shine again, but the base coat will gradually lose it's pigment color.

What good is a cover if it's gonna end up with bird shit all over it anyway?

Exactly that. The $30 cover takes the abuse of shit and pollen and sun rather than the $5K bike... I wish I had one on my other bikes. My BMW roasted the plastic and gauges. My V45 Sabre same. My CB360 same. My CB1100F is out of the sun and in pieces in the garage so it's safe for now. :icon_redface:

Plus the minor security aspect: Out of sight, out of mind. Not a huge deterrant - but it's something...

My '01 has sat outside in the Florida sun every day of the 18 months I have owned it. It also sits outside in the rain. The only bad effect I have seen so far is that the tops of the master cylinders and the plastic on the switch housing is looking a little chalky. Gotta say, I have a pretty strong tolerance for grunge though. Oh yeah, the factory windscreen is getting a bit milky looking but that could be just the constant sandblasting it gets form living down here.

My XX is always garaged at home and at work......and it shows......and it makes me feel better knowing it's not sitting out all day. A cover may take the birdshit and stuff but I don't wanna be stuffing and handling some gross ass cover all the time.

I'll stick with the garage at work......it's free so why not. If I don't feel like dealing with it.......I'll just pimp out and drive the Park Avenue.....my sofa with a steering wheel..... :icon_evilgrin:

Personaly, I keep my Bird covered even in the garage and always if I ride to work. Yes, "out of sight, out of mind" is truer than one might think. I never travel without my bike cover. Roasting in the sun, or sitting in the rain, doesn't sound all that "respectful" towards the Bird. :icon_naughty:

Personally, I try to keep the bird in the garage. I do ride it to work when there is little or no call for rain.

My 80 CBX has never been left out for more than 8 hours and has NEVER been ridden in the rain.

The 79 CBX that was given to me was left out all the time from 1980 to 1983 in San Diego. From then on it was in 1 garage or the other in non-running mode.

Check the picture. Which one would you rather have?

GarageMates-3.jpg

Don't even know why I'm asking. Lately I haven't been taking it to work. Dunno how short a commute makes it worth gearing up but for the past two weeks....17 miles each way hasn't been worth it to me.

Don't even know why I'm asking. Lately I haven't been taking it to work. Dunno how short a commute makes it worth gearing up but for the past two weeks....17 miles each way hasn't been worth it to me.

Yeah, I hate to say it but everything has to be just right to let me justify gearing up for the 17 mile commute. I work weird shifts, no covered parking in a high bum rate area (motorcycle cover was stolen by one of the fuckers a few months back), and Alcoa Highway is just shit during rush hours.

When I DID have my cover, though, it only took me about 30 seconds to put it on. I did not secure it, however. And if I had brought it inside between uses (so it would not get stolen) then my time would be even longer.

And when I do come in wearing my gear, every fucker in the joint wants to talk to me about bike shit and tries to make witty comments that are totally lost on me.

"Izzn't it HOT in all that stuff?"

"Dontcha know it's s'posed ta rain today?"

"How can you ride that? Ain't it cramped?"

Phillip.

The best way to stop all the stupid remarks is to simply explain that ALL the young ladies love to go for rides with you.

You know, sorta like Peggy Bundy and her HD motor.