CBR1100XX.org Forum

Shock spacers and center stand

demon

I have run into a small problem. I have just put a centerstand on my bird and the damn thing rubs the chain. The chain has about an inch of play in it, so it is adjusted correctly. I have 7 1/2 mm of washers on my shock and am wondering if anyone else has run into this problem. I have 3 2.5mm thick washers on the top of my shock and am going to remove 1 or 2 of them.

I think I am going to remove one at a time until the centerstand quits rubbing. If I remove one washer, it should bring it down to 5mm of shock shimmage. Trial and Error I guess. The Bird handles pretty quick with 7.5mm of shims. :wink:

That's a LOT of rise!  I think the suspension linkage ratio is nearly 3:1, so you have nearly an inch of rise now.

In my book this makes it just about right---I added 21mm after the forks were done-prior to the new linkage----with the new linkage---dont need any---but the centerstand is completely worthless to get the rear wheel off the ground---doesnt really matter--as I re-install it only to work on the suspension---then it goes bye-bye

Well I ended up taking all the spacers off the shock and the center stand still rubbed the chain. :sad: Got to looking at the shock and the preload was maxxed out. :shock: I reset the preload to give me about 35mm of sag and the stand no longer rubs. I magically gained some rear traction in the process, be it the lower ride height or the loss of preload. :grin: I'm going to ride the bird like this for a while and see if I can get used to it, but if not I think I will drop the forks in the tripples about 5-6mm. This should quicken the steering up a bit and still give a decent ride.

I raised my shock 6mm, and the center stand will just lift the rear tire off the ground, but parking the rear tire in a hole helps a lot, also.

I tried the fork drop, and didn't like it as much as raising the rear.

Dropping the forks 6mm seemed to make the bike unstable when solo riding, but felt awesome 2-up. Raising the rear 6mm is the best of both worlds, IMHO. Stability is unaffected, but turn-in is greatly improved.

Bike feels a lot lighter now.

After reading another post on the board about centerstands and aftermarket exhausts, I feel like an idiot. No wonder my centerstand was rubbing my chain. I have an Akrapovic 4-2-1 exhaust on the bird and bought it that way. I have no centerstand retaining bracket :lol: . No wonder my chain rubbs the centerstand. Think I will look into making a bracket or buying one, then I can raise the bird's ass back up. It handles very sluggishly now compared to the way it handled with 7.5 mm of shock spacers.

After reading another post on the board about centerstands and aftermarket exhausts, I feel like an idiot. No wonder my centerstand was rubbing my chain. I have an Akrapovic 4-2-1 exhaust on the bird and bought it that way. I have no centerstand retaining bracket :lol: . No wonder my chain rubbs the centerstand.  Think I will look into making a bracket or buying one, then I can raise the bird's ass back up. It handles very sluggishly now compared to the way it handled with 7.5 mm of shock spacers.

OOOOOOOps--- :lol::lol::lol: ---all makes sense to me now---take the centerstand off-that will fix it---its pretty easy to reinstall for tire changing and the like

Pics as promised.....

20039292208418751421417.jpg

20039293320079727111478.jpg

It installs at the dogbone mount at the frame and comes with a longer bolt. The "beak" of it catches on the frame to prevent rotating.

The second pic shows the bend in it so that the "foot" that is welded onto it will catch the centerstand.

Hope this helps.

Well, I made a spacer defferently than the pic. I made one that attaches to the rear 2 bolts of the shock mount and has a piece that extends rearward to contact the center bar of the centerstand. It works good. This allowed me to raise the rear back up. Best of both worlds. The bird handles like it should again with a centerstand.

Well, I made a spacer defferently than the pic. I made one that attaches to the rear 2 bolts of the shock mount and has a piece that extends rearward to contact the center bar of the centerstand. It works good. This allowed me to raise the rear back up. Best of both worlds. The bird handles like it should again with a centerstand.

"attaches to the rear 2 bolts of the shock mount "---not sure what you are talking about---but if its the shock linkage---this isnt a good thing---as that has to move---hopefully I am misunderstanding---BUT--you got me worried :cry:

I mounted the spacer to the rear bolt and the lower bolt of the triangular piece on the shock linkage. as the linkage moves up and down, the spacer moves as well. The spacer is a flat piece of metal that is L shaped, and bent to go around the rear of the shock mount and turns down to contact the center bar of the centerstand. I rode it up the mountain very aggressively sunday and had no problems. Suspension action was not affected as far as I can tell. I thought this was a good idea because of ground clearance with the centerstand. As suspension moves up under a load, the centerstand rises a small amount as well. I'll try and get a digital camera and take a couple pics next weekend.

. As suspension moves up under a load, the centerstand rises a small amount as well. I'll try and get a digital camera and take a couple pics next weekend.

I understand what you did....as long as it is not binding the linkage--but to be truthful--it sounds a little funky---you DONT want those linkage bolts to come undone---your call--but I would find another way

I got to thinking about it a little more. I messed up. :oops: If my suspension really compresses, and the spacer moves forward too much and catches on the front of the centerstand crossbar..... :shock: Lets just say between the centerstand rising into the chain and the suspension binding on the centerstand I'd be fooooked. May look into making the duck shaped spacer this weekend and mounting it on the front dogbone mount.