CBR1100XX.org Forum

stripped allen bolt

Dotetcher

Getting ready to mount some new tires and one of the bolts (large head) that holds the front fender on is fubar. I'm thinking of cutting some slots in it with my dremel and use a big screwdriver to loosen it. Any other ideas?

Thanks

Skip

Can you cut the slot without touching the fender?

Another idea is to drill through the center of the fastener head with a bit slightly larger than the shoulder of the bolt. This will separate the bolt head from it's stem. Then you can remove the fender and use a vise grip to turn out the remaining stub. I also recommend using cutting oil during this process. This procedure works even better with a left handed bit, which will often bite into the fastener and spin it out.

I remember seeing a machinist, when I was in the military, use some gray stuff that was gritty for exactly this purpose. Its liquidity and gritty at the same time. You put it in the hole that is striped out and it gives just enough bite for the tool to get a grip?? Maybe someone else can chime in. I have never seen it in civilian life nor do I know what it was called, we used it on the Phalanx gun systems when we overhauled them. Little allen heads would strip out.

Kinley

I remember seeing a machinist, when I was in the military, use some gray stuff that was gritty for exactly this purpose. Its liquidity and gritty at the same time. You put it in the hole that is striped out and it gives just enough bite for the tool to get a grip?? Maybe someone else can chime in. I have never seen it in civilian life nor do I know what it was called, we used it on the Phalanx gun systems when we overhauled them. Little allen heads would strip out.

Kinley

That sounds like valve grinding compound, which I've used successfully with stripped bolt heads.

Funny,same thing happened to my xx couple weeks ago,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,steel ( bolt ) and aluminium ( fork) don`t get along long term,,,,,,,,,,

I`ve drilled bolt`s head till it "poped out".

I did the same a few weeks ago on a lower fairing bolt.

I purchased a set of reverse rotation drill bits with easy-outs.

Normally the reverse rotation bits do the trick, but in this case it took the easy out too.

Came out great, no scratches.

Only problem is that I forgot which screw it was and reinstalled it when I finished my service.

Hey, at least it is drilled for the next time. :icon_redface:

Valve grinding compound is great for this situation. I also use it on the tip of philips screws for better bite. But the first thing I'd check is the condition of your allen wrench. If it's rounded at all, take a belt sander or file to the end so you have a fresh wrenching surface. Then use valve grinding compound.

If that doesn't work, you can take an appropriately sized screwdriver blade and use a hammer to force it into the allen head slot. Then you can just turn it like it was a standard slotted screw. I keep old screwdrives for just this kind of thing so I can grind or file them to suite my needs.

I won't repeat the other good ideas already mentioned.

you can try to use a sae allen (american) the next size up taped into the striped hole. I have taken a old allen and sanded the sides tapered to tap into the hole also.

If it is the top bolt that holds the fender to the fork. ie the one in the picture...DO NOT FORCE IT>>>

I had the same prob with my bird.. I tried to force it out with an allen key.. the key had good grip mind you...I gave a good push and it felt like the bolt loosed.. low and behold the small rectangular metal plate on the inside of the fender spun, pushing a divit up into my fender....

So if you are gonna power it out. take the wheel off and put a set of vicegrips up in there while you turn out the bolt..

If that is not the bolt thats locked ...the other suggestions are great...

post-1373-1177307032.jpeg

If it is the top bolt that holds the fender to the fork. ie the one in the picture...DO NOT FORCE IT>>>

I had the same prob with my bird.. I tried to force it out with an allen key.. the key had good grip mind you...I gave a good push and it felt like the bolt loosed.. low and behold the small rectangular metal plate on the inside of the fender spun, pushing a divit up into my fender....

So if you are gonna power it out. take the wheel off and put a set of vicegrips up in there while you turn out the bolt..

If that is not the bolt thats locked ...the other suggestions are great...

post-1373-1177307032.jpeg

Its the other one Pete.

Still haven't gotten around to it yet. Maybe tomorrow.

• 2 weeks later...
Can you cut the slot without touching the fender?

Another idea is to drill through the center of the fastener head with a bit slightly larger than the shoulder of the bolt. This will separate the bolt head from it's stem. Then you can remove the fender and use a vise grip to turn out the remaining stub. I also recommend using cutting oil during this process. This procedure works even better with a left handed bit, which will often bite into the fastener and spin it out.

Thought I'd post a follow up. I tried cutting a slot with my Dremel. Cut the slot just fine without touching the fender but once I tried to loosen withe the screwdriver the head of the bolt would not take the stress and the head fractured. Time to drill as per the suggestion from MrBadExxample. This worked just fine. Thanks for all the help guys.

Skip