CBR1100XX.org Forum

Oil status light

exskibum

I haven't been on the Bird much lately, since it needs a new rear tire. So, maybe what I've seen is the result of too much recent familiarity with the FJR.

After turning the key on, all status lights light up for a few seconds normally, but . . . last Friday, after a brief ride, I went to start the bike again, and with it in neutral (after getting all status lights lit) most went out normally, but BOTH the oil and the neutral stayed lit. I started it and the oil light went out. I've repeated this a few times and get the same result now.

I would have sworn that, normally, the oil light went off before starting (when the bike isn't running), but the only thing the manual addresses is that the oil light should be off when the bike is running. And it is. But am I imagining that it used to be the case that the oil light was off before starting it?

If it is supposed to be off, any idea what is causing it to light before starting? Bad oil pressure sensor?

I would sincerely hope that a low oil pressure light would be on when you had no oil pressure. You know...like when the bikes not running?

Exactly my thoughts (when I thought that the oil light had previously been off in that mode). So, to check my perception and that reasoning, I got home and checked the FJR. On it, the oil pressure light is off when not running (after initially lighting up when the key is first turned on). Hmmmm -- so much for that telling me the story.

So . . . does anyone with a FI Bird know for sure if the oil light is on or off before starting? Is yours on, Joe?

Shit, this is my second Bird (1 carbed, 1 FI) and I can't remember for sure? I must be getting old and senile -- it's as bad as getting a jingle stuck in my subconscious. Please help an old fart out. :icon_pray:

So . . . does anyone with a FI Bird know for sure if the oil light is on or off before starting? Is yours on, Joe?

I just went out and checked: on my '03, with the key on and the engine not running, I have

both neutral and oil lights lit. Initially, when turning the key on, all lights turn on, but after a

couple of seconds, only the neutral and oil remain on. HTH.

I just went out and checked: on my '03, with the key on and the engine not running, I have

both neutral and oil lights lit. Initially, when turning the key on, all lights turn on, but after a

couple of seconds, only the neutral and oil remain on. HTH.

Thank you, Keith. Now I can stop imagining that something has changed and that I need to diagnose a non-problem. I'm wondering if this sort of thing is going to be happening more as I get older and older?

Huh? :icon_confused:

What were we talking about?

Ohhh...... yeah.

Does the FJR have just an oil level light?

I always hated the fact that my XR650L's had no oil press. or oil level light.

Just recently worked on my wife's car and noticed the oil press. light never came on. I asked her how long it's been gone. "I don't know". :icon_rolleyes:

Wound up just being the wire connector on the sending unit.

I like both an oil level light and an oil pressure light. If you have just a level light you know you can be full of oil and still have no pressure.

I like both an oil level light and an oil pressure light. If you have just a level light you know you can be full of oil and still have no pressure.

I love oil pressure gauges but hardly any manufacturer be it bike or car even offers one. I like watching the tach and the oil gauge race skyward when hard on the gas. The only car I had one on was an 87 Iroc so last year I added one to my Impala.

I love oil pressure gauges but hardly any manufacturer be it bike or car even offers one.

My Jeep Grand Cherokee has an oil pressure gauge as standard equipment. The Audi A6 has an

oil temperature gauge (as well as coolant temperature gauge), but only an idiot light for pressure.

All BB's have a oil pressure light. Turn on the ignition with the engine not running and your red oil pressure light will be on.

The FJR has a oil level light that comes on for 1-2 seconds when the ignition is turned on to assure that the bulb works.

I prefer the level light as it warns you of a low level way before the oil pump sucks air.

I have a Vmax that flashes the low level light at you under hard acceleration as the oil moves to the back of the pan. Fortunatly, thats were the oil pump pickup is located. The level sensor is located in the front of the pan.

All BB's have a oil pressure light. Turn on the ignition with the engine not running and your red oil pressure light will be on.

The FJR has a oil level light that comes on for 1-2 seconds when the ignition is turned on to assure that the bulb works.

Muchas gracias. After reading the responses, I began to think that might be the case, so thanks for the clarity on the two different bikes I'm confused with.

All this tells me two things: (1) I haven't been riding the XX enough lately, and (2) alzheimers is probably in my future. Isn't that what happens? You go out for a drive (ride), get disoriented and start waxing paranoiac that something is wrong. (In Dylan's words: "You know something is happening, . . . but you don't know what it is. Do you, . . . Mr. Jones?") Well, at least I haven't started forgetting how to get home yet. :icon_whistle:

I prefer the level light as it warns you of a low level way before the oil pump sucks air.

I have a Vmax that flashes the low level light at you under hard acceleration as the oil moves to the back of the pan. Fortunatly, thats were the oil pump pickup is located. The level sensor is located in the front of the pan.

So both the V Max and FJR have an oil level light only? :icon_nono:

As I said, if there is a problem with your oil pump or it's drive, plugged oil filter, whatever, you won't know you have a problem till the engine starts knocking from lack of oil pressure.

All the oil in the pan at the correct level does no good unless it is pumped at 50 PSI to all the bearings etc.