CBR1100XX.org Forum

Whats that smell?

K-TOOL

After a couple of different group rides I have had people tell me that when I really get on it it smells sweet. They say that theres no smoke or anything, just smells . My bike is an 03 w/ 16,000 miles. I only use AMOCO (BP) 93 oct premium white gas and only use Mobil 1 15-50. Any ideas?

During the NEXXT ride, Mikey was riding behind me and insisted that I was "burning oil" and that "you could smell it".

I was kinda puzzled by that since this bike only has ~18K on the clock. I've checked the oil during and after NEXXT and it hasn't used a drop.

Unburned hydrocarbons? Any ideas? Thanks...

You can't smell a wet clutch burning unless you're REALLY smoking the fuck out of it. Maybe tire slide, but not clutch.

I've noticed the smell with a few high-octane fuels run in bikes that should be running standard octane. Since you're not fully burning the fuel, it would make sense there would be more smell.

Are you still on your original set of sparkplugs? My '00 smells rich (sweet?)when it needs new plugs. From what I read here, 16K may be about the end of useful sparker life even for the Iridiums. Are the ends of your mufflers a little smoked?

The smell is like no other on the road. They slow down to 45 mph drop to 3rd gear hit the rev limiter and dump the clutch, It is the only time i smell it. several of them are on there 3rd set of clutches in <10K. btw they are R6's F3's F4's RR's ZX6's' all 600s. that i smell it coming from. The 954, 929. 1000 gsxr bikes dont smell because they usually dont have to use the clutch. I am always, ALWAYS in the very back of the pack.