CBR1100XX.org Forum

20 Extra Horsepower!!

Bognor Paul

Exhaust tuning is a black art, and getting "it" right takes a lot of testing and re-designs. We have been working with a supplier in CA for several years, experimenting with different expansion chambers (as well as various engine parts) for our Suzuki LT 500 two-stroke atv's, and each time he sends us a new piece, the grin gets wider. (Well, not exactly EVERY time......) We have five quads that have identical mods to their engines, so we have the luxury of mixing and matching various parts on different quads. We don't have a dyno, but we test them via drag racing (on asphalt and on sand) and 400-500 foot hill climbs, and it is quite obvious which exhaust works best. And each of us rides all the quads so that we get a consensus on which one is best.

Now, as to comparing our two-strokes to the Bird's four-stroke engine, these are obviously different animals, and figuring out how to control four cylinders is a lot more complicated than dealing with just one hole.

I've not logged onto this fella's website, so I can't comment on his sales program. If he is making claims that he can't back up, that is definitely not cool. But, he's on the right track regarding their efforts to produce a system that will result in an increase in hp and torque - it CAN be done. Based on the design of our stuff, I'm not sure he can accomplish a similar result within a straight tube, but that's his problem. More power to him if he can. All I know is that we've seriously increased the output of our engines, and exhaust tuning is a big part of those gains.

• 11 months later...

I've been following this thread with interest. Any current news? I'd like to replace my heavy stock exhaust system with something better and, natch, would like to get the best bang for the buck. More interested in midrange than top end hp.

I would never expect a 20hp gain from slip ons alone. I just came accross the post and read through it. Just thought it odd that it went as far as it did and then just died. I have to say I like the look of the pipes....Not $1200 worth though. Pretty sure I could spend that much in a manner that would insure a better return than 3hp.

• 8 months later...
Eric,

it has been a year since you posted on this. Did you give up?

Did I give up........ NO !

I never give up, but the truth of the matter is something else.

OK, I guess it's been long enough and I'll try to explain, briefly.

Received can,

Installed and tested with mixed results, HP was up across the rpm band, up almost 10% in the midrange, and up almost 5% on the very top end, but peak HP was only up 2%. Not even close to the 20 hp claim.

Went to OzarXX 07

tried to sort it out with the Cans manufacture,

He said I would need to split the system, basically turning a 4-2-1-2 into a 4-2.

So I spent some time and money and modified the system,

Tested again, Huge drop in power in the midrange, it was like trying to take off with only one cylinder firing, peak HP was back down to stock numbers, but above that was up even more, interesting.

Tried to again sort it out with the manufacturer.

Nothing,

Decided I needed to figure it out myself, so I made a crude program to figure out what was going on in the exhaust system.

Again tried to contact the manufacturer, still nothing.

Decide to test some theories, and see if I could work it out.

Built another Header 4-2-1, and tested.

Modified the Cans, and Tested.

5K was down a hair, 9K was up a hair, and the top was up a hair, but the Noise level was too much to bear.

After who knows how long, I got an e-mail from the Manufacturer.

Replied and was asking for some answers.

Never got any answers back.

So I worked on the Cans again, bought another stock header, and went back to almost the exact same system as before. Power was back up in most areas, but not as strong on top.

Went to OzarXX 08.

Came home and tried another route with the Cans, with mixed results.

Left it this way for a while, yet still pursuing knowledge.

Then just recently changed the exhaust again.

Rode them around for a while, then went to Texas. Seat of the butt says it was strong across the range.

Returned home to find the Inlet is Cracked and Destroyed, from vibrations and poor welding from the manufacturer. (The inlet was spot welded together, instead of fully welded, this lead to eventual cracking and failure. )

And here we are Now, with a lack of funds continue pursuing the goal by myself.

I will save and continue again. Because No... I have not given up.

I still believe the power is there, and I have proven it to myself at various points in all of my testing.

Now the question is.... how do I tie all my work together ?????

In conclusion, The Urbane Cans WORKED. Yes you read that right, and they worked rather well I might add, just not up to the original claims.

But they were Loud, build quality was O.K., and they are priced very High in comparison to equally performing systems from other manufacturers, and they still have some things they need to work out.

So Take ALL of that for what it's worth.

In conclusion, The Urbane Cans WORKED. Yes you read that right, and they worked rather well I might add, just not up to the original claims.

But they were Loud, build quality was O.K., and they are priced very High in comparison to equally performing systems from other manufacturers, and they still have some things they need to work out.

Which means they didn't, because the whole point was that they were supposedly a radical departure from traditional performance exhaust systems.

Which means they didn't, because the whole point was that they were supposedly a radical departure from traditional performance exhaust systems.

Well, if that is what they were supposed to be, then they were. Only muffler that I have seen or heard of like they were. Very unusual internals. And innovative.

Um, yes and No, I think.

Maybe I should say they Work far better than any Slip on Exhaust system out there (that I know of, and could find hard numbers to compare them to anyways), but why ? , because they deliver Full System performance out of a slip on system.

But... they are priced like a Full system exhaust.... so I would compare them to a full system. Wouldn't you? But they are not, they're slip-on's In which case they are very highly priced.

Potato...... Tomato. Whatever. :icon_neutral:

Well, if that is what they were supposed to be, then they were. Only muffler that I have seen or heard of like they were. Very unusual internals. And innovative.

Hey you weren't supposed to tell anyone. :icon_twisted: Oh wait a minute.... you didn't, O.K.

But what you said is true...... they have very unusual and innovative internals. But that's all I'm saying.