CBR1100XX.org Forum

Frame Slider Opinions Wanted

GadgetXX

I don't know of any of them but from track exp. any slider with a bracket to relocate it to a fairing hole will benk, break and do more damage. Silders with a large metal base do the same thing, just not as bad. They need to be made of the plastic, not metal. Intuitive is a good example. Simple, basic. Tough, they work. Fancy once like vortex or the ones that double as tie downs do more harm. Not to speak of those ones that go in the fairing bolt hole :icon_naughty:

I think mine were blue lighting.. I have "tried" both sides.. and they worked great.. I had Porter make my identical copies of the rashed ones.. bolted right up.. you do have to cut the fairings but and engine mounting bolt is the olny thing worth a slider in a wreck.. post-1373-1172977624.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I decided to try the LSL frame Sliders. The installation was a the same for the R&G and the LSL, and following the tips from previous posts, took less that an hour. The LSL did call for a 35mm hole in the fairing, which I thought would be to big. I opted for a smaller hole that was just larger than the mounting bushing (1 3/8" hole saw).

med_gallery_2028_204_42547.jpg

med_gallery_2028_204_20620.jpg

LSL claims that their horizontal portion (where the logo is) keeps the bike from spinning in the event of a long slide as well as the delrin puck is a replaceable item. They are pretty good quality. Kneedraggers seamed to have the best pricing if I recall.....

Another Alternative... A cage.

I hate buying body work... so I opted for this option. Here are three pictures. Note the left side stator cover was already scratched before I put the cage on it. I have replaced the cover, but don't have any pictures. The cage was made by Free Style Ingenuity. He started out as a stunter and after many attempts at frame sliders, he went with the cage.

post-3506-1173817877.jpg

post-3506-1173817890.jpg

post-3506-1173817916.jpg

I hate buying body work... so I opted for this option. Here are three pictures. Note the left side stator cover was already scratched before I put the cage on it. I have replaced the cover, but don't have any pictures. The cage was made by Free Style Ingenuity. He started out as a stunter and after many attempts at frame sliders, he went with the cage.

Gages are Ok if you are a stunter and don't run corners... Seems like even that one would kill ground clearance...

Mike

Gages are Ok if you are a stunter and don't run corners... Seems like even that one would kill ground clearance...

Mike

I am pussy coated... so I can't tell you if they drag or not. Living here in Texas makes for mostly flat riding. As far as protection... you can't beat it. It protects the legs in a crash and a good portion of the body work and covers.

I have one on my FJ1200. I dropped the bike doing 45 ( kid cut out in front of me). Made a hugh slide at night... sparks flying everywhere from the exhaust can and the cage scrapping. But I hoped right back up, lifted the bike and drove off. I did have to replace the upper fairing on that one though. The scrape caught the edge/tip of the fairing.

• 1 month later...
I decided to try the LSL frame Sliders. The installation was a the same for the R&G and the LSL, and following the tips from previous posts, took less that an hour. The LSL did call for a 35mm hole in the fairing, which I thought would be to big. I opted for a smaller hole that was just larger than the mounting bushing (1 3/8" hole saw).

Hi GadgetXX, Thanks for the Spiegler Pics. Does the Spiegler mounting bracket for the 'Bird offset the pucks or do they line up directly with the engine bolts?

CBRXX - Does the cage mount directly to the engine bolts on either side? If so, how large a hole did they require through the fairing?

Thanks to you all for your input! :icon_thumbsup:

Hi GadgetXX, Thanks for the Spiegler Pics. Does the Spiegler mounting bracket for the 'Bird offset the pucks or do they line up directly with the engine bolts?

They mount the same as the R&G's. They have an aluminum spacer and a long bolt that replaces one of the engine mount bolts. Since both brands use the same engine mount bolt, they should use the same hole in the fairing. I have not installed a set of the R&G's, so I do not know what size hole is cut in the fairing, but they should be close to the same size.

Mike

Hey I checked out the "Free Style Ingeruity" site and e-mailed them to see if I can still get a cage for the XX (the CBR1100XX is not listed on the site). Hey did you have to remove the full stand to get it to fit or did you just take it off?

Here's the site for those that want to check it out http://www.freestyleingenuity.com/site/index.php.

I have the mushroom sliders and they did help a little on my slow speed slide, but mostly it just bent over and wore down a bunch.