CBR1100XX.org Forum

Rattling noise from the engine

tgo63

Today I went back to oem exhaust thanks to the forum member who sold me never used cans from 02 model. I really enjoy bird's buzzy sound after spending more then a year with d&d. I'm a little concerned about rattling sound from the engine area that is much worse on startup and then gradually quiets down almost to non-issue. I hope it's only a cam tensioner and not something worse. The cold front is passing by so the temperature today is in the 40's. I did replace cam tensioner once about 25k miles ago. I never checked my valves; I do not trust myself to this job alone but I also do not know a mechanic that does it. Can someone describe the noise caused by bad cam tensioner? I'm going to order one anyway. Another weird thing I noticed after fitting oem cans after shutting down the bird I see exhaust fumes coming out from right exhaust ONLY for up to two minutes

Thanks.

Tom, I'm sorry to inform you that the noise you are hearing is most likely due to the pickup coil on the stator. These can break off and migrate to the water pump, which in turn spits it down thru #3 water jacket and into the combustion chamber. The fix is to disconnect #3 plug wire and take the bike to your nearest Harley dealer for repair.

Tom, I'm sorry to inform you that the noise you are hearing is most likely due to the pickup coil on the stator. These can break off and migrate to the water pump, which in turn spits it down thru #3 water jacket and into the combustion chamber. The fix is to disconnect #3 plug wire and take the bike to your nearest Harley dealer for repair.

Thanks Joe; I just setup appointment with my local harley dealer

Thanks for correcting me on that, John - I never can remember which one it is. :icon_redface:

BTW Tom, I've got 5 or 6 used lifters on the shelf - if you'd like, I'll overnite 'em to you so you can take them with you to the Harley Tech Center. :icon_dance:

....so that vapor from the right side only is normal.

But only if you're right-handed. Left-handed people - like me - find the vapor exiting the left can.

Also, I heard that daves01XX is going to start recycling these lifters - you GO, Dave! Mine are on the way. :icon_twisted:

The marbles in metal can description sound right; weird thing is I only hear it until the motor warms up to operating temperature. I will check tonite if the noise changes when clutch lever is pulled in. new cct is on it's way thanks to John. Damned weather; rain and temperatur in 40's :icon_evil:

Thank you all for help

Thanks guys for all the suggestions, but luckily for me the noise was caused by the clutch basket with the oil still cold. Once I pulled in the clutch the noise was gone instantly. Apparently I have nothing to worry about...