CBR1100XX.org Forum

Flat black Birds

onyxnate

I seem to remember seeing some photos of a BB painted flat black, but now cant find them.

Does anyone have a link to the phohts?

I am thinking of getting mine repainted that color.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Nate in DC

I've never seen pics of an ENTIRELY flat black bird. I know Honda made one that was pretty close to that, but was like silver or something on the bottom with gold wheels.

It's funny you mention this because I have a full set of spares in the garage right now that are in primer and soon to be sprayed flat black. Great minds must think alike! The difference is that I will be doing everything in flat black: bottom of the forks, inside section of the brake rotors (like the 97-98 style although my bike is a 99), wheels, swingarm, and maybe even my exhaust. That only leaves the triple trees and pegs not black, and if I ever do those parts they'll probably get powdercoated.

Mine is done flat black. It looks awesome IMO.

If you are gonna do it yourself my only advise to you is prep prep prep. The more time you spend prepping the surfaces the less time you'll have to spend painting and the better it'll turn out. I did mine with Krylon Fusion and it looks great for the price I spent.

I've never seen pics of an ENTIRELY flat black bird. I know Honda made one that was pretty close to that, but was like silver or something on the bottom with gold wheels.

It's funny you mention this because I have a full set of spares in the garage right now that are in primer and soon to be sprayed flat black. Great minds must think alike! The difference is that I will be doing everything in flat black: bottom of the forks, inside section of the brake rotors (like the 97-98 style although my bike is a 99), wheels, swingarm, and maybe even my exhaust. That only leaves the triple trees and pegs not black, and if I ever do those parts they'll probably get powdercoated.

Do you plan on doing it yourself or sending it out to a paing shop?

If you are gonna do it yourself my only advise to you is prep prep prep. The more time you spend prepping the surfaces the less time you'll have to spend painting and the better it'll turn out. I did mine with Krylon Fusion and it looks great for the price I spent.

Do you have any photos? What kind of prep did you do before painting and how durable is the Krylon paint?

I dont mind taking on the project myself, but I dont want it to look like I did it at home.

Nate

You mean like this http://superblackbird.arnolddegraaf.nl/ima...R1100XX04_s.jpg

This colour was available in Europe, UK and AUS in 2004 and possibly other years. From reports on the BIRD site in the UK there was a few problems with the paint showing rub marks, going shiny etc. :icon_think:

You mean like this http://superblackbird.arnolddegraaf.nl/ima...R1100XX04_s.jpg

This colour was available in Europe, UK and AUS in 2004 and possibly other years. From reports on the BIRD site in the UK there was a few problems with the paint showing rub marks, going shiny etc. :icon_think:

I am thinking of somehing like that. I like the look of the paint on the Ducati Monster Dark

THAT is the photo I was looking for! :icon_clap:

That bike looks SWEET!

What kind of paint did you use and what tail section is that?

Regards!

Nate

Hmmm, I have 4 cans of Fusion satin black sittin' in the garage for such a purpose... Any problems with wear, washing, etc? How many coats, and how long have you had it?

FWIW, pursuant to this thread I personally like the matte look a lot more than flat - less "chalky", more even, and has more depth IMHO... Flat black kinda looks a tinge greyish/brownish in bright light, while matte usually remains true black.

But to each their own!!

IPB Image

Needs black rims though!!

I did mine over last winter. It washes fine. No problem with wear yet.

I used 5 cans to do the whole thing. Three light coats. The more you do the deeper it looks...I just got impatient.

As far as the prep work goes....you have to sand down your old paint and that can be a bitch. I did mine all by hand with increasing grit sandpaper ending with some insane wetsanding stuff that at the time I thought was overkill. You can kinda tell the ones that were done with it and the ones that weren't. Basically you want to prep everything the same. You can't cover as much with the paint as you'd think. What your plastic looks like before paint.....it'll look like after paint.....just darker :P

Rattle can all the way baby.................

IPB Image

Jeff, that shit truely is tight, yo.

I knew when I read the title of this thread exactly which bike he was referring. The pics make it look fantastic. Does the finish, in person, look as good as it does in this photo?

Wow, that's a really suitable color for the 'bird! :icon_cool:

I was going to paint my extra fairing deep red metallic, but now I'll definately reconsider!

It's prolly easier to get a pro look if you stay off the metallic and clear coats as well.

I've been told that black metallic actually is the most difficult color to get 100% "right"..

• 1 year later...

post-3948-1197658252.jpgMine is being done in fusion flat black. Hey, I got a deal on the price. I stole toppxxcop's logo form the jacket thread and had a shop print them on vinyls for me. I don't know if the vinyl will hold 150+ winds on flat paint, but we'll see.

I can get more stickers if anyone wants them. They are on a silver backing, with a carbon fiber look to the black background. These look fucking awesome. . .really! I aint a vendor, so I'll sell 'em for what they cost me. Hell, I had to pay a starting $20 just for set-up, someone please make it worth my dollars!!