CBR1100XX.org Forum

Bzzzz sound when i brake

rca29

I bought my 99 'Bird a few months ago, and i hear a "bzzz" sound when i'm breaking at low speeds (30, 40 miles/h) that comes from my front brakes. I had the brake pads replaced when i bought it and it always made that noise.

I don't feel any strange vibrations when i brake, so i guess (and hope) i don't have warped rotors.

As i never drove a new 'Bird, i don't know if this is something that they all do or if there's any problem.

Any ideias ?

By the way: In a later post , someone talked about the rotor buttons, that one should be able to turn it with a finger or two. Does it mean that we should be able to rotate the button with one or two fingers ?

I can't do that on my bird... :roll:

http://www.cbr1100xx.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2304

More than likely nothing is wrong with you're bird. What you are hearing is the vented rotor holes as they pass through the calipar, on a new rotor or especially with new pads this is common. Most people that are used to sloted rotors or solid rotors and now have vented, have the same question.

I don't know how many miles are on your front brake pads, but it would be a good idea to pull them and take a look. It only takes a couple of minutes to get them out.

The outer left front pad has worn out on several 'Birds before the others. Mine was down to the metal at about 15K miles.

I guess that i'm hearing is the holes of the rotor passing trough the brake pads. I only found it strange because i've never noticed it on my ex-cbr600 (and it also had the holes on the brake rotor).

These brake pads have 3800 miles, but that noise was already there when i bought the bike (and had new honda break pads installed).

I still can't move the rotor buttons by hand...

It is caused by heat expanding the air inside the holes in the rotor, but the air is held in place by the pad. As the hole moves out of the pad, the air "pops" out. This effect can be minimized with pads that have a vertical slot in the middle. It's all perfectly normal.