CBR1100XX.org Forum

steering dampers, etc

Lynx60

How many of you folks have mounted a steering damper on your XX? I ask because someone told me that the XX has a tendency to vibrate a bit on bumpy corners, so a damper is needed to compensate for this. I've only got 500 km on my new XX, so I really haven't pushed it hard enough in corners yet to notice any problem.

My second question has to do with gasoline octane. A fellow XX rider told me that using 98 octane gas, instead of 95 octane, will make the engine run hot (hot as in heat). Is this true? He claims that using lower octane, say 95, will make the engine run cooler. I've never heard of this and I always use 98 octane. Am I wasting my money and causing my engine to overheat unnecessarily in traffic? I've seem the temp guage rise as high as 120 C on a hot day in traffic.

Lynx60

I defer the Octane question.

Regarding the XX and Damper's. The XX is a big, well balanced, 500 lbs. bike. I have never, ever, had it shake its head in some crazy manner. If you are going through a bumpy corner, it will move with the bumps but it is very predicatable and confidence inspiring. If I had the $200+ for a damper, I would put it some place else. (JMO).

MaXX

I defer the Octane question.

Regarding the XX and Damper's. The XX is a big, well balanced, 500 lbs. bike. I have never, ever, had it shake its head in some crazy manner. If you are going through a bumpy corner, it will move with the bumps but it is very predicatable and confidence inspiring. If I had the $200+ for a damper, I would put it some place else. (JMO).

MaXX

Ditto to what MAxx said---my 929 definitely needs a damper(and has one)---the XX doesnt need one---I have ocassionally gotten wiggles--but no full-on slapping like the 929

A stock BlackBird does not need high octane fuel (check your owners manual). But, if it makes you feel better, use the best you can afford.

Same with the steering damper. Unless you have messed with your steering geometry by raising the rear end, or lowering the front, you don't need it. Adding one will only make the steering feel heavier.

No Damper needed! Even with ass raised and/or front lowered! I ride somewhat agressive on the XX and after almost 30k miles never a headshake. The RC has one and needs it but not the XX!

My.02

I have to say that my xx is solid as a rock at all speeds. Of course i'm just comming off a '84 gpz750 Turbo. Now that bike take a little finagling in a high speed turn (you learn to expect/compensate though). In any case i love the way my xx handles (i have the racetech front and rear done though).

:wink:

Most bike get a slight wiggle when the front end gets light.

The XX can get the front end very light at high rpm's - but nothing that needs a dampener.

As for the corner thing, the only thing that should be moving is the rear; not the front - a dampener will not help on a power slide.

Don't waste your money on a dampener!

As for the fuel - I have a 2000 XX - ergo it's fuel injected - and maybe it's only in my head, but I swear my bike runs better on Premium than on regular.

As with any gas engine, even if it isn't noticeable right away, higher octane fuel will burn hotter & cleaner - thus helping to keep your engine running cleaner in the long run.......

higher octane fuel will burn hotter & cleaner

Quite the opposite. In general it will burn cooler. Go look it up. But either way the difference is academic and irrelevant.

It will probably also burn dirtier since it will not burn completely. Some HC's will be floating around and attach themselves to the internals, where they become carbon and soot. Higher octane means slower burning. That's all. Not cleaner, not more power, just slower. Since the motor is calculated to burn the fuel completely at 86 octane, using 91+ would lead one to believe there is some unburnt fuel since it was burning slower.

I can NOT prove this. It's a matter of deductive reasoning. However, on the dyno, I was able to see that there is no improvement with premium.