CBR1100XX.org Forum

Desperate need of help!!

Tricky1100XX

Ok I bought the bike last year for $4000.00. I ran very well the only problem was 5th gear was slipping,(prior owner told me before buying the bike). Ok,I took the bike to a Honda dealer thinking since they were Honda,they would fix the bike right.YEAH RIGHT! After almost 4 months,after I fully paid them,I got my bike.Driving down the road after getting my bike I went through the gears to make sure they did a good job,being I just paid them $2600.00 for a new tranny,I pampered her.Thirteen miles down the road I heard a ticking,them BAM,wheels locked up! I called them up pissed,they picked it up promptly and said the radiator was leaking,YEAH RIGHT.They said thats why the motor locked up.Well Im currently suing them for that.After a couple of months I went on ahead and got the motor rebuilt,$3000.00!!! Ok now after getting it out the shop,she ran well,shifted great.Rode it two days,went out to crank it,CLICK,CLICK. Aw man!! I let iy sit for 2 days without cranking it,went outside and nothing.I jump started it(without the motor running)being I burnt a R/R doing that before.After a couple of minutes,she cranked!! Took it down the road and I noticed the gauges were cutting off then on.I promply turned around and headed back home.This happened to me before and it ended up being the R/R.Im hoping that all I need is a new battery or R/R or even both!!! I put $9600.00 into this bike in a little over a year!!! I could have bought one cash! Can someone help me?Is it the stator?The battery?The R/R? I feel like replacing them all to be safe,I just wanna ride I havent even rode the bike a good straight month since I bought it last year! Please help me someone!!!!!!!

I'd GUESS R/R, there's quite a few threads about this issue, including one a little further down the first page here describing how to check it correctly. I would go with Blackhawk, though. If you don't want to throw a bunch of unnecessary $$ at it, get out the ohm meter and spend an hour or so- it'll tell you what you need to know.

Good luck.

(Damn, that's the worst Honda engine story I've ever heard. Mines a 98, and after the R/R and battery, nothing has gone wrong. Ever.)

I'd GUESS R/R, there's quite a few threads about this issue, including one a little further down the first page here describing how to check it correctly. I would go with Blackhawk, though. If you don't want to throw a bunch of unnecessary $$ at it, get out the ohm meter and spend an hour or so- it'll tell you what you need to know.

Good luck.

(Damn, that's the worst Honda engine story I've ever heard. Mines a 98, and after the R/R and battery, nothing has gone wrong. Ever.)

Yeah its my first bike and its been hell!! I really love this bike and still think Hondas are the best built motorcycles and cars!!!!! Its been in the shop almost the whole time Ive owned it.It depressing!

First of all, slipping in 5th gear is a simple clutch replacement............200 bucks at the most, wtf was 2600 for...........you where ripped off, at least it sounds like it, as for the RR and battery bormal failure for the year of bike again about 200 bucks

sorry but this happens all too often, pity you hadn't posted here before you parted with yhis dosh, totally crazy when you could now own 2 BB for the money you spent

First of all, slipping in 5th gear is a simple clutch replacement............200 bucks at the most, wtf was 2600 for...........you where ripped off, at least it sounds like it, as for the RR and battery bormal failure for the year of bike again about 200 bucks

sorry but this happens all too often, pity you hadn't posted here before you parted with yhis dosh, totally crazy when you could now own 2 BB for the money you spent

Well now Im inclined to just replace the R/R,battery and stator.Answer me this when you take off the stator cover,will oil leak out? I just simply unbolt the stator,unplug the wires then install a new one and connect the wires back right?

Well now Im inclined to just replace the R/R,battery and stator.Answer me this when you take off the stator cover,will oil leak out? I just simply unbolt the stator,unplug the wires then install a new one and connect the wires back right?

You may get a few drips of oil, but that'll be it. Your summary is pretty much correct, but I'd suggest having the service manual handy anyway.

Well I just bought a BAttery Tender Plus and a new battery today.After the Labor Day holiday,I plan on called ElectroSport and buy a R/R. Figure I charge the old battery first,try to crank it and if it goes dead replace the R/R. I just wanna ride!!! Most likely will buy a stator too just in case.Any body knows how good ElectroSport products are?

I wouldn't do Electrosport (formerly Electrex) I've heard too many bad things from them.

How many miles on this bike? Just trying to figure out if it needs a stator or not.

It's a shame that you have ANOTHER story of at minimun dealer ineptitude to maximum a complete rip off.

I agree, gears don't slip, clutches do. Gears grind and pop in and out of gear as the dogs engage and disengage.

I wonder if the first time they actually just replaced the clutch, failed to tighten a bolt, and that caused the seizure.

Oh well, water under the bridge. For your charging problem Electrex DOES make a good troubleshooting tree.

http://www.cbr1100xx.org/files/reference/charging_diag.pdf

After that I'm about 90% sure it's only the reg/rec so go with this:

http://www.cbr1100xx.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=276

Good news peeps!!! All i did was replace the battery and no problem.Put a digital volt gauge on the bike and when I rev up it goes up to about 13.5 volts. Is this good?

Mine goes to about 14.2, a 1997 model, and is stable from 2,500 to 5,000. This is with a charged battery that normally reads 13.2 or so.

Oh boy here we go again.I hooked up a digital volt meter and I was driving down the highway,I noticed after it got a little hot,the volts went from 13.2 to below 12!!! About 11.2.I mean the bike still ran fine,but I took it home ASAP!!! Unhooked the regulator plug and ewwwww! Two of the top three connectors to the yellow wires was burnt!!! I was like wow!!! I think I just caught the reg before it completely died on me and caused further damage.Can someone confirm this for me.What year R1 regulator should I use? Guess ElectroSport's is out the question.Too many people saying bad things about them,but how are there stators?

I wouldn't do Electrosport (formerly Electrex) I've heard too many bad things from them.

How many miles on this bike? Just trying to figure out if it needs a stator or not.

It's a shame that you have ANOTHER story of at minimun dealer ineptitude to maximum a complete rip off.

I agree, gears don't slip, clutches do. Gears grind and pop in and out of gear as the dogs engage and disengage.

I wonder if the first time they actually just replaced the clutch, failed to tighten a bolt, and that caused the seizure.

Oh well, water under the bridge. For your charging problem Electrex DOES make a good troubleshooting tree.

http://www.cbr1100xx.org/files/reference/charging_diag.pdf

After that I'm about 90% sure it's only the reg/rec so go with this:

http://www.cbr1100xx.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=276

Since you have a meter, go back through the troubleshooting guide.

I haven't had a failure yet, but from what I can tell the Stator is three phase. If one phase opens, the other two will pull more current trying to make up. The voltages you posted with the system operating are low compared to what I see on mine. No use throwing parts at it until you have exhausted the guide.

Well I just bought a BAttery Tender Plus and a new battery today.After the Labor Day holiday,I plan on called ElectroSport and buy a R/R. Figure I charge the old battery first,try to crank it and if it goes dead replace the R/R. I just wanna ride!!! Most likely will buy a stator too just in case.Any body knows how good ElectroSport products are?

I would recommend agianst buying from electrosport. They have a full one year replacement warranty on the products they sell for a reason. I had two stators from them and the R/R they sent me was not the correct one. All parts were replaced under warranty. I bought the honda parts after the second stator fried. They did not have a R/R for the 99 and up models. If I were you order the OEM parts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Billy Mac

Oh boy here we go again.I hooked up a digital volt meter and I was driving down the highway,I noticed after it got a little hot,the volts went from 13.2 to below 12!!! About 11.2.I mean the bike still ran fine,but I took it home ASAP!!! Unhooked the regulator plug and ewwwww! Two of the top three connectors to the yellow wires was burnt!!! I was like wow!!! I think I just caught the reg before it completely died on me and caused further damage.Can someone confirm this for me.What year R1 regulator should I use? Guess ElectroSport's is out the question.Too many people saying bad things about them,but how are there stators?

Please post again and let us know how you are making out with these problems. It sounds like you will eventually sort it out and then have a long, trouble free period. My experience with Hondas is that you will be buying batteries, tires, and maybe a chain, but they tend to be predictable and reasonable to maintain in the long run.

Well finally the problem was solved,it was the R/R !! I replaced it with one from a 99 R1 and since then had absolutely no problems,runs excellent.I appreciate all you guys that helped me cause without ya'll,I wouldn't be riding now.Thanks a bunch,ya'll are great!!!!!!