CBR1100XX.org Forum

Slight Knocking at startup

Yakasuko

Hey guys I have a 00 blackbird, and when I first got the bike about six months ago it purred like a kitten. But it was time to change the oil and I went with a honda grade oil. The slight knocking happens at start up and if I engage the clutch then it seems to quite down. But my question is do you think that there was a synthetic oil in there before I did the oil change to made this happen?? I have changed it twice but still the same problem, does the clutch needs to be changed or what? I have taken it to my local bike shop and they are telling me that it sounds okay, but I know that this is not normal. Anyone out there experience this, or have any solutions???? :icon_think: I forgot mention that I have already changed the CCT...

Check out previous posts on CCT Cam Chain Tensioners. Some people run differnt oils or weight oils which quites the noise.

I changed the CCT still the same problem...

Guest rockmeupto125

The slight knocking happens at start up and if I engage the clutch then it seems to quite down.

Read what you already wrote. That should tell you what is causing the noise.

Its quite normal in the XX engine. Don't worry about it.

Its normal on everybike running a wetclutch.

The oil in the bike is dampening the clutch plate rattle, when you pull the clutch in this prevents then from rattleing around like rocks in a coffee can.

Go listen to a ducati running a dry clutch.. You think your clutch is loud :icon_eek:

You think if I go with a synthetic it would make a difference??? And let me ask you this it probably would not make a difference if I changed the clutch huh? :icon_think:

And let me ask you this it probably would not make a difference if I changed the clutch huh? :icon_think:

The sound is perfectly normal. I doubt changing the clutch would make a difference - except to suck away your time & money.

you will have the same noise with a new clutch. Running a thicker oil might help dampen the noise some, but why? its perfectly normal clutch plate rattle from sitting at idle.

I am running 5W- 40 oil and don't even notice mine unless I actually listen for it.

Just ride the bike and enjoy it. :icon_wink:

:icon_dance: I took out the Honda oil and put in Mobil 1 and my 2003 xx was also more rattly but that's OK it's quite normal Matey.

Always better wid a new CCT, less top end chuckle, spring is $30 CCT whole is $95 AU :icon_razz:

I experienced the same problem soon after I first bought my '00. The noise dissapeared once the clutch lever was depressed. I bought a CCT thinking that this was the problem and it made little if any difference. I've since come to recognize through reading these posts that the noise is common and acceptable but I still found it annoying. It was suggested on one of the posts dealing with the issue that the idle speed be increased to just under 1400. Once I had done this the chattering was gone.

It was suggested on one of the posts dealing with the issue that the idle speed be increased to just under 1400. Once I had done this the chattering was gone.

WOW you have your bike idle at 1400RPM damn that's up there. Should make a good cruse control...lol

My idle is only that high on cold start up.

I suppose that I was misinformed. I am certain that 1400 was the number I read in the post that I read but I'm unsure of the source. I'm new tho the forum and haven't distiguished who's advice is good advice. I tried to find the post in which I read it but to no avail. I imagine that my next post will be whether or not I should learn to live with the "bag of marbles" sound that is present when the engine is idleing normally. Any suggestions?

Thanks guys, I guess it is pretty normal. I mean it runs pretty good just that little noise that bothers me at time. I had a KN filter in there before, and that seemed to slow the bike down. I think it was getting to much air in the intake. So I went back to the factory filter, the KN was off a little and causing air to seep through the sides... And yes I removed the oring, it just didn't seem to fit flush all the way around, so now I just need to get a nice exhaust maybe to drown out the noise I hear....... :icon_cool:

• 3 weeks later...

I have it too. It goes away almost right away....definitely once the motor warms up a tad.

It's really just a lack of lube in all places. Once the fluids get going good, I never hear it again.

I'm running AMSOIL, which is as good as oil tends to get.

I suppose that I was misinformed. I am certain that 1400 was the number I read in the post that I read but I'm unsure of the source. I'm new tho the forum and haven't distiguished who's advice is good advice. I tried to find the post in which I read it but to no avail. I imagine that my next post will be whether or not I should learn to live with the "bag of marbles" sound that is present when the engine is idleing normally. Any suggestions?

If I'm not mistaken it's 1100RPM +-50. It will be in the service manual and owners manual.

Service manual can be downloaded if you don't have it.

I had that problem but then I started putting in my Shure e2's and starting my CD player before cranking the bike. Now that noise is gone.

HuH??? :icon_think: