CBR1100XX.org Forum

Headlight ????

Fonzie

If I'm only going to replace one of the bulbs right now with those xenons or silver stars, am I correct in assuming the better one to change would be the low beam, since it will be used in both settings?

I guess I'm wondering if the new bulb in the low beam will still help make the high beam brighter

If I'm only going to replace one of the bulbs right now with those xenons or silver stars, am I correct in assuming the better one to change would be the low beam, since it will be used in both settings?

I guess I'm wondering if the new bulb in the low beam will still help make the high beam brighter

Replacing the low beam will only make the low beam brighter. Since both lights are on when the high beam is on you might notice it being brighter closer to the bike.

I put a 100W in the high beam and it really lights up the road when I turn it on.

Replacing the low beam will only make the low beam brighter. Since both lights are on when the high beam is on you might notice it being brighter closer to the bike.

I put a 100W in the high beam and it really lights up the road when I turn it on.

What then would you reccomend be replaced both and with what?

Jet

I don't see a big reason to put a 100W low beam in as the factory one is decent for the distance it shines. IF you can efford it buy a set of HID H7's and replace both is the best way to go much brighter and less power draw.

HID is on my list of toys... but I need a new rear shock first. It isn't dark up here now until around midnight right now. Earlier I didn't even need a headlight as it was bright all day.

Since I see so little dark HID was lower on my list...

If you can't efford the HID the biggest improvement for me was the 100W high beam, I tried the 100W in the low beam but didn't seem to be nearly as noticable as in the high beam. That and our Stator/RR aren't the best in the industry so I'd rather not be drawing the extra 3-4 Amps of current when I don't have to.

Truthfully HIDs in the high beam are not a good idea. They dont like to be 'flashed', its not good for the igniter. Put a 100w or a HID in the low beam and a 100W in the high beam. You get the most use from the low beam and the extra draw is minimal.

OK.........just went to buy some of these, but that just brought up some more questions. Several people on this thread and my other one about xenon bulbs have said we take the H7's.

Guy at Advance Auto store just looked it up on his 'puter while we were talking, and he's showin' the XX takes H4's or 9003........not H7???? :icon_think:

Also...........aside from the silver stars, I found GE has these ones I've not seen before......Nighthawks?? They were $10 cheaper per pair than the Philips.

There were also these Xenon Quartz Cyber Whites by Navigator. They were $20 cheaper than the SilverStars. Are these by chance the ones you were talking about Charlie that you had gotten & said were just as bright for half the price??

Fonz - The Bird takes the H7 Bulbs. I had Sylvania Silverstar's before I installed the HID's. They were a vast improvement over stock but I think they were about $15 each at the time. I got some bulbs from the local auto parts store for my truck that were $6 each and the improvement was exactly like if I installed Silverstars, but were an off brand. Like MileHi says, stay away from the "tinted" bulbs and go with white or as some call them "super whites". They are fairly inexpensive and the improvement is impressive.

Guest rockmeupto125

Time to make some money. At least bet the guy a set of H7 bulbs.

The Honda CBR1100XX for ALL years takes an H7 bulb in the headlight.

I remembered Tim talking about that adapter in a different thread, and thought maybe that might factor into why the kid's 'puter was tellin' him H4 or 9003.....does it take those sizes if you leave the 'dapter on?? What exactly is the purpose of that adapter then??

In all fairness to him, he did show me the screen, so I can't blame him for the misinformation their system was givin' him

i'd go with replacing both.... It's a relatively inexpensive upgrade and given the labor involved in replacing one isn't that much more than replacing two, it's a no brainer. They'll probably last as long as you own the bike.

I've got the SilverStar bulbs in both the high and low-beams... given that I ride to and from work in the dark on most days, I always found the stock bulbs a bit lacking on the XX given that I've got SilverStars in my Suburban and our S2000 has HIDs. The SilverStars were a tremendous improvement... as advertised, a much whiter and brighter light than standard halogen bulbs.

And, yes, H7 is the ticket, even though Phillips application guide says H4 for motorcycles.

http://www.eautoworks.com/html/bulbSearch-...-CBR~1100XX.htm

Phillips Website:

http://www.brightheadlights-hid.com/silver...Silver-Star.htm

Yeah.........I changed my mind & have pretty well decided on doing both at the same time (my check for Steeler's tickets got returned for the 2nd time today :icon_frown: so I've got a little more $$$ than I thought)

Back to the GE/Cyber White lights........anybody tried either of these before?? The Cypber Whites were Xenons as well, at less than half the price (and ya know I have a hard time passin' up a deal like that :icon_wink: )

Tried looking/reaching around in there to get a feel for changing the bulb. Are they above or below the oiler cooler? I can't hardly get my hand up in there, and nothings feeling like the back of the bulbs so far. What's the white plastic oversize nut lookin' thing.......does that unscrew for the bulbs or something??

Anyone got a schematic or video or anything........headlights for dummies maybe??? :icon_lol:

You must pull off the trim around the instrument cluster to gain access to the headlight's bulbs and wiring....

Haynes - Chapter 9

Headlight Replacement

Note: The headlight bulbs are of the quartz-halogen type. Do not touch the bult glass as skin acids will shorten the bulb's service life. If the bulb is accidentally touched, it should be wiped carefully when cold with a rag soaked in methylated spirit and dried before fitting.

1. Remove the cockpit trim panels (These would be the two panels on either side of the instrument cluster).

2. Disconect the relevant wiring connector from the back of the headlight's bulb housing and remove the black rubber dust cover, noting how it fits (might take a little wiggling).

3. Release the bulb retaining spring clip, noting how it fits, then remove the bulb. (It's just a spring clip... don't remove any screws)

4. Fit the new bulb, bearing in mind the information in the NOTE, above. Make sure the tabs on the bulb fit correctly in the slots in the bulb housing and secure it in place with the retaining spring clips.

5. Reinstall the dust cover, making sure it is seated with the "TOP' mark at the top, and connect the wiring connector.

6. Check operation of the headlight. Reinstall the trim panels.

Sorry, on my laptop and not where I can scan the images.

The first image from this HID installation posting will give you a good idea of what you're looking for...

IPB Image

That lower "black hole" is the high-beam bulb location... wiring pulled off the back and bulb removed. You can see the low-beam location above it, although it's partially hidden by the instrument cluster.

Guest rockmeupto125

You can change bulbs without removing any of the access panels. Its a chore, but it can be done. It really helps if you know how things work up there.

Here's a pic of the back of the headlight.

[attachmentid=2553]

Pull the rubber boot off and you'll have this.

[attachmentid=2554]

The spring wire clip swivels at the right. Depress the wire loop on the left by pushing it forward, then push it down to clear it out from under the brass colored catchplate (with the brass colored phillips head screw on the left). Swivel it up and the bulb will be loose.

[attachmentid=2555]

post-33-1155483695_thumb.jpg

post-33-1155483770_thumb.jpg

post-33-1155483953_thumb.jpg

VERY cool!! Thanx Dos & Joe!! :icon_clap:

I was in the right vicinity then........just didn't "feel" anything I thought I should be. This helps a lot! :icon_thumbsup:

P.S........nice carbon fiber fender Dos!!

Put the SilverStars in this morning before we left for the day. Drastic difference........just the low beam shoots quite a ways out.

Dos & Joe.........you visual aids proved invaluable.......thanx again!!

I took before & after pix just for the heck of it. If they came out worthwhile, I'll post 'em on here later

Truthfully HIDs in the high beam are not a good idea. They dont like to be 'flashed', its not good for the igniter. Put a 100w or a HID in the low beam and a 100W in the high beam. You get the most use from the low beam and the extra draw is minimal.

May not be a good idea, but the light is fantastic. I do miss being able to flash my highbeam (for whatever reason) but the gain in light for nighttime riding more than makes up for it for these fitty year old eyes.