CBR1100XX.org Forum

Battery-How Long?

blackhawkxx

My bike was bought in December of 1996. It still has the factory battery in it but it starts just fine. I keep a battery tender on it in the winter. My question is, should I replace the battery just due to age? I wouldn't want to get stuck out somewhere but hey, it starts right up every time.

Since I've started buying bikes with maint. free batts I've never bought a battery.

98 XX factory batt.

93 XR still had fact. batt when I sold it in 98.

They take abuse better and last longer than the old ones. I love em.

Just don't let your reg/rec go bad.

I will never let a battery get over 3 years old, simply not worth it. Toughest thing on an R/R is to try to maintain a battery that is no longer in good condition. And getting stranded is not worth the price.

I'm now using the Dekka AGM battery (totally sealed non-liquid battery). That runs $60, so for $20/year I can have peace of mind.

... original battery on my '99. Whenever it's parked in the garage, it's on a "smart" trickle charger. That battery has never let me down, but I know it won't last forever - no matter how well I treat it. So, acquiring a replacement, just to have in stock, seems pragmatic indeed.

So, acquiring a replacement, just to have in stock

Sorry, not a good idea. Batteries start to go bad the second you pour acid into them. So if you can still buy dry-charged batteries, then sure, you could put one on the shelf. Though it will slowly lose its dry charge, it will take a lot longer. But these days it seems that all the batteries I find are already wet.

I'm pretty sold on the AGM type batteries though. Been using them in cars and watercraft for a long time with great results, so I just don't bother with ancient liquid cell technology at all any more.

My local service/parts shop (independent shop). The brand is Dekka, but I imagine there are others. I have seen them online, and had bought one years ago for my SeaDoo but don't remember the site name. But I buy locally when I can, and get a good price that way, so I've never shopped again since the locals got them in stock.