CBR1100XX.org Forum

GPS device

Furbird

I know that some of you have GPS, and I'm interested in picking your brains. I know absolutely nothing about them, but I want to get one that I can use in the car and on the bike. I'll be using this on my trip to the Dragon next month, but other than that, it will pretty much sit, so I'm not looking to spend a bunch of money. I'm wondering which of the cheapies is the easiest to use. I've got all sorts of cell phone mounts here at the house from my former business, but if one comes with a mount that would be cool to. Just needing some info from guys that have "been there, done that."

I have had 3 GPS's in the last 8 years. The one that you may want to look at is a "Garmin V ". I used one of these units for 3 years and found it to work very well on the bike or in the truck. You can probably pick up a used one for under 200$. The nice thing about this model, is it is completly portable, run's on internal batt or bike batt and water doesn't bother it. I like the Garmin's as I think they have the best software.

really? I have Dave's old Garmin 60C, and the only thing I DON'T like about it is the software. Not very user friendly, and get's me lost a lot.

For examply... on the way back from Philly a month ago we decided to hit a White Castle (per Harold and Kumar's recommendation.) Plug it into the GPS.... it finds one for me, not too far from the highway. As we're getting closer to it, the neighbor goes to shit, and pretty soon we're driving through an industrial area surrounded by car wrecking yards. "Turn left, arrive at White Castle." BAM. Here we are. At White Castle's CORPORATE offices. The Garmin software had it listed as a restaturant, not as an office.

Fuckers.

I have had 3 GPS's in the last 8 years. The one that you may want to look at is a "Garmin V ". I used one of these units for 3 years and found it to work very well on the bike or in the truck. You can probably pick up a used one for under 200$. The nice thing about this model, is it is completly portable, run's on internal batt or bike batt and water doesn't bother it. I like the Garmin's as I think they have the best software.

A Factory-Referbished GPS V with a 1 year factory warranty is what I just bought from ebay for ~$190 shipped...

Mike

I just got the Garmin 2610 and love it. It has all the bells and whistles, but if you're looking for a basic unit, the Garmin V is a good way to go. It has it's shortcomings I've read regarding speed and memory size, but it all depends on what you want one for.

Good luck and there are a ton of sites that review these things. I got alot out of amazon.com and the reviews from people that have bought one.

TJ

I ride with a Garmin Quest 1. The only problem I've ever had with it is occasionally it hiccups here in KC and diverts me to Gregory Blvd. This has happened about 5 times.

Other than that, thumbs up.

You can find the Quest 1 on ebay, I don't know what they're going for now.

The trick with any Garmin product it to make sure that you are running the latest software(free to down load from any Garmin site). My GPSV was ok until I installed the latest update....then it was WAY better.

Your right though, the unit is only as good as the software, my new 2730 is pretty wild but still, you need to watch where it wants to take you.

But enough about the navigation, what I really like is the MP3 player and satelite radio, sure makes those long trips fly by. :icon_biggrin:

I know that some of you have GPS, and I'm interested in picking your brains. I know absolutely nothing about them, but I want to get one that I can use in the car and on the bike. I'll be using this on my trip to the Dragon next month, but other than that, it will pretty much sit, so I'm not looking to spend a bunch of money. I'm wondering which of the cheapies is the easiest to use. I've got all sorts of cell phone mounts here at the house from my former business, but if one comes with a mount that would be cool to. Just needing some info from guys that have "been there, done that."

As far as I know the Garmin Quest is still the only "Water Proof" unit on the market. For me this is a really important feature for this kind of investment.

As far as I know the Garmin Quest is still the only "Water Proof" unit on the market.

There is lots of waterproofs out there including Garmin ones. One thing you have to pay attention though is how they describe water proofness. Standards they use is that when there is no cables attached to unit and all the rubber plugs attached. Mine is not only waterproof but it even floats if it were to be dropped into water.

The waterproof waterproof standard is IPX7 or 8....something like that. Most of the Garmins meet the standard. The GPS speedometer is waaaaay more accurate than the bike's.

I have the 2720....it's expensive but I love it....have beaten it up badly on some very rough roads, run in pouring rain for half a day.......no problems.

The waterproof waterproof standard is IPX7 or 8....something like that. Most of the Garmins meet the standard.

Yes, some Garmins meet the IPX7 but if you read the fine print you'd know it is only when ther eis no cables attached to the unit and rubber plugs are in as I said above.

I have a 2610 for 2yrs now and i use it on my XX and my cages....it is the shiznit hands down. If you have something like a chatterbox you can even plug the guidence voice into it. Excellent unit easy to use no issues i have found. stick with the compact memory and not the micro drive units...