CBR1100XX.org Forum

Starting the bike with the sidestand

SBBXX

Remember we talked about starting the bike with the ignition switch; depressing the starter first, then turning the key on? Problem with that is I have this thing about starting with the clutch dis-engaged. Can't be done that way unless I have another hand.

I've realised that if the bike is in gear and the side stand is down, I can turn the ignition on, squeeze the front brake, depress the starter, pull the clutch in, and the bike will start when I flip up the stand.

watcha think?

Is that going to cause me grief someday?

Edit: The whole purpose of this was to reduce wear on the HID, for those wondering.

I suppose that would work. You are talkiing about preventing the HID from cycling twice due to the action of the load shedding realy during startup, are you not?

I don't have a schematic here or the pinout of the load shed relay but there should be a simpler way to get switched 12 volt that is not turned off by the load shed during starting. You could then use that to power a relay that switched you HID off and on.

Guest rockmeupto125

watcha think?

Is that going to cause me grief someday?

Edit: The whole purpose of this was to reduce wear on the HID, for those wondering.

I think that you are smarter than me.

Cuz if I tried this, sooner or later, I'd find myself in a crumpled ball under an XX with an HID light attached to me butt. Of this I'm sure.

Good luck.

I find the attention given to HID startup to be remarkable. Do you really have reason to believe that this will wear out the bulb in your bikes lifetime? I've seen a lot of dead filament bulbs in my life, not yet seen a dead HID. If HID bulbs do wear out so easily then sure as profit demands they will be on the shelf at autozone.

I can think of many other things to be anal about that have a bigger impact than a single bulb.

Personally, I don't see any ill-effects of starting the bike like that....electrically. Everything in the circuit that is a safety.......is "control" current. In other words, when all of the conditions are met to let the starter engage, you activate a starter relay that is made for carrying the amount of current needed to run the starter motor. The control current is very small and is just enough to activate the starter relay.

Cuz if I tried this, sooner or later, I'd find myself in a crumpled ball under an XX with an HID light attached to me butt. Of this I'm sure.

It would certainly make it easier for the EMS crew to find you, don't ya think? :icon_twisted:

(News at eleven)!!! :icon_evilgrin:

I'm not understanding something here, I think. I start my 'bird in neutral

on the side stand all the time and have not had any sort of problems. I

don't have the HID installed yet, but I don't see the relavance to starting

on the side stand. Am I missing something?

Am I missing something

When you turn the key on, the headlight comes on. When you hit the starter button, the headlight goes out and then back on therefor cycling the light twice.

Why is that?? Does this occure on all Birds, Can. US, Brit, European? Of everything that I've concerned myself with, this isn't one. That being said, I don't ride at night. I've never ridden at night in over 120,000 kms in 6 years. That's just me. As for stopping my ride, I stop in first, put the side stand down to kill the engine and lock it up. When I go, I bring up the side stand, start her, and leave. I've had no problems and only had to change a bulb once. I take it that those who install HID's do a lot of night riding. There actually is a question here, is it OK to ride with the high beams on especially on the highway? Thanks

Am I missing something

When you turn the key on, the headlight comes on. When you hit the starter button, the headlight goes out and then back on therefor cycling the light twice.

I understand that part; I thought it was being implied there was some sort of

problem with starting the bike on the side stand. Perhaps I misunderstood the

original post.

The obvious advantage to doing as he suggested........is to not cycle the HID light bulb twice when starting the bike. The question, as I see it, was whether or not it would cause electrical problems somewhere down the road using the side stand switch as the "start button". I'm saying no it will not. The analogy that I would make is like my riding mower. Key has to be on, mower deck in the raised position, seat switch activated by sitting on the seat, and brake pedal pushed.......all of those safety criteria have to be met in order for it to start. So, it really doesn't matter if you turn the key on and hit the starter, THEN sit down on the seat, or turn the key on and push the brake pedal, or turn the key on and raise the mower deck.k As long as all three are met, the mower will start. Same way with the bird. Hope this helps

Am I missing something

Why is that?? Does this occure on all Birds, Can. US, Brit, European? Of everything that I've concerned myself with, this isn't one. That being said, I don't ride at night. I've never ridden at night in over 120,000 kms in 6 years. That's just me. As for stopping my ride, I stop in first, put the side stand down to kill the engine and lock it up. When I go, I bring up the side stand, start her, and leave. I've had no problems and only had to change a bulb once. I take it that those who install HID's do a lot of night riding. There actually is a question here, is it OK to ride with the high beams on especially on the highway? Thanks

If you ever DID ride at night, you might have a better understanding of the HID'rs paranoia and analosity. The lights are SO MUCH better than filament bulbs we will do whatever it takes to keep 'em burning. I think that everyone is more worried about the light starter going out than the bulb itself. (Like flourescent lights, the more you flip it on & off, the shorter the life span of the starter, or so popular opinion holds)

Ruhi is right of course, they appear bulletproof.

I have my HID on the low beam and is switched on & off at will. I run a modulator on my high beam. So it is easy for me to leave high on all the time & just bypass HID. As it gets dark the modulator switches iff & I then power my HID