CBR1100XX.org Forum

OEM Chainset = $347.00????

RXX

:icon_eek:

Called Honda & that is what I was quoted. Next day from Atlanta. '99-00 are only years chainsets are available she says. Cheaper than buying parts separate.

Is she blowing me?

Called Honda & that is what I was quoted. Next day from Atlanta. '99-00 are only years chainsets are available she says. Cheaper than buying parts separate.

Is she blowing me?

If she were blowing you that would be a good thing :icon_lol:

My local stealer quoted me $235 last fall. Chain and both sprockets. I'm also 99.9% sure all years are the same. Check Ron Ayers as they were close to my stealers cost. I wound up getting the front sprocket from Ron Ayers and I got the chain off DBLXX.

Now if that price is installed it would be a good deal.

I'm a couple thousand miles away myself from this myself. By John01xx's words of advise, I'm going to go with a DID ZVMX2 chain. I have found a few places that sell them for about $129-135. Then Honda for a VFR 16T rubber damped primary and an AFAM ( probably ) steel rear sprocket. It sould come in all together at just over $200.

That is about the price that I paid for two OEM sprockets, a new chain, and a Motion Pro Jumbo.

She should blow you for that price.

Try WhiteBuffalo for the chain. Good prices the last time I checked. Service Honda and Ron Ayres have better prices than most stealers for the other parts.

From Service Honda:

Honda Front Sprocket 17T $41.31

Honda Rear Sprocket 45T $72.74

From White Buffalo Racing:

110 Link DID ZVM2 530 Nickel $133.00

--------

TOTAL: $247.05

My OEM sprockets and chain were replaced at 34,500 miles and showed no wear on the sprockets and hardly any wear on the chain. (Thanks Scottoiler). I only replaced them hoping to remove a bit of vibration that began at around 30,000 miles but the change had no effect on reducing that vibration which is the subject of a different thread.

At the end of the day, the only benefit in changing them at that time was installing that great looking DID nickel chain. :icon_biggrin:

With the long life of the Honda sprockets, I wouldn't bother trying to save a few bucks by installing any other brand.

Philip- That's stealer for ya.

I paid 190, or there abouts for front, rear and chain DID and OEM type steel replacements, (the aftermarket suppliers didn't have the fancy sprocket available for the 'bird, oh well.) from Cycle Gear. That's pretty current, January, and they "loaned" me a chain tool to boot.

Honda dealers are great for advice, but not much else. And prices? :icon_rolleyes:

Duane

It looks like Ron Ayers has the chain kit for $198 or so. You might check them out if you want to stay with OEM chain and sprockets.

It looks like Ron Ayers has the chain kit for $198 or so. You might check them out if you want to stay with OEM chain and sprockets.

I think that is for the chain set which is part #1 and $208 and is the chain and master link . If you go down the list farther part # 26 Chain kit is $283 which is chain, link and both sprockets

White Buffalo rocks!!!

I just installed a DID 530 ZVM2 Gold chain and AFAM sprockets.

What a huge difference.

I can't believe how much smoother the bike is now.

Interesting post. How much $$$ are you really likely to save by buying reliable aftermarket sprockets vs. Honda genuine OEM replacements? I'm talking about aftermarkets that hold up as well as the OEM parts from Honda.

Interesting post. How much $$$ are you really likely to save by buying reliable aftermarket sprockets vs. Honda genuine OEM replacements? I'm talking about aftermarkets that hold up as well as the OEM parts from Honda.

Ron Ayers sold me :

a D.I.D. chain, exactly the same chain as in the '99-00 "chainset"

an OEM drive sprocket

an OEM driven sprocket

(Honda brand)

$235, no tax

So, it looks like I saved $345 + 10.25% - $235 = $145.00