CBR1100XX.org Forum

Pilot Power Front

2equis

I am back to Roads myself and will probably not ever try anything else,

Why??? Any performance issues? I get about 6000 miles out of a pilot road rear. I'm thinking that a pilot road rear and a pilot power front will wear equally and I'll get some "extra sticky" in the front.

I have never had a sticky issue with the Roads on the front or rear. yhey are the best combo that I have found with good stick and decent milage. Powers are stickier, yes but I can't afford to change tires every 3000 on the rear and 5-6000 on the front. I need to be able to get double those miles out of my tires. My Bird has been on the track a couple times and never had a tire slip, but then I don't push real hard out of the corners while on the edge of the tires either. I have on rare occasions gotten rid of any and all chicken strips with no loss of traction on the Pilot Roads.

I have been through over 6 sets of the roads and really like the feel and longivity

+ 1 on the Pilot Roads. I have most of the head off my Michilin man now. I put on a new set of 'Roads right after FUXXT. 5500 miles since then, yeah, I've been busy, and I can't say enough about them.

I am thinking of attending the Kieth Code thing at Barber and getting levels 3 and 4 out of the way and I might fit a set of powers for that. Then again, I might just rent a ZX6R again. I had a ball on that bike and I wouldn't have to worry about wadding my XX or scaring the sock monkey. :icon_smile:

1500 miles on the current Pilot Power and it's toast. Plenty in the middle but the sides are bald.

Well that rules out the Pilot Power, cause if Monkey boy only getting 1500 miles, I better get something harder. What would roads be comparable to in the Avon line up? I have experience with the 45 and 49.

1500 miles on the current Pilot Power and it's toast. Plenty in the middle but the sides are bald.

Well that rules out the Pilot Power, cause if Monkey boy only getting 1500 miles, I better get something harder. What would roads be comparable to in the Avon line up? I have experience with the 45 and 49.

Oh boy, did I screw up. Sorry guys:

I HAVE NOT RAN PILOT POWERS YET! I HAVE A NEW SET IN THE BASEMENT THAT I HAVE NOT MOUNTED YET.

THE FRONT TIRE I WORE OUT IN 1500 MILES WAS THE AVON AV49.

Sorry for the mix-up and the caps. I want to correct my mistake.

1500 miles on the current (sic) Pilot Power and it's toast. Plenty in the middle but the sides are bald.

You're leaning too much, try to drive straighter.

(Straight is a tough concept for this board all around though....)

Almost 12000 miles on my rear pilot road and I'ts right at the wear marks. Front is at 10000 miles now and it looks very good. I will keep rear for few hundred miles more until my new pilot road comes in later this week.

Almost 12000 miles on my rear pilot road and I'ts right at the wear marks. Front is at 10000 miles now and it looks very good. I will keep rear for few hundred miles more until my new pilot road comes in later this week.

:icon_liar: Jeez Tom, what r u doing, trailering da wench and counting dose miles as Road mileage? :icon_razz:

I did PRoad's on the AK trip and was lucky to get 5-6k out of them.

I have PPowers on the Mille and they are excellent but lasted only 4k miles (400-500 miles were track day miles) plus I'm a big guy whoo rides fairly aggressive.

Superbike Mag did a tire test in their latest edition and rated the PPowers tops!

I've never got more than 8-10k out of any tire set.

:icon_liar: Jeez Tom, what r u doing, trailering da wench and counting dose miles as Road mileage? :icon_razz:

I do not know Bruce why; most likely it's a combination of my light (?) 170 lbs weight, keeping pressure up at 42 psi most of the time, and highway commute. I did not write exact mileage when I changed my rear but I put about 1700-1800 miles on it before I changed front on which I have exactely 10000 miles. I actually enjoy getting good mileage out of my tires since I ride about 17000 miles per year. Onmy last rear pilot road I got just over 10000 miles so it looks like I should get 14000 from my next one :icon_biggrin:

How are things at work?

Why??? Any performance issues? I get about 6000 miles out of a pilot road rear. I'm thinking that a pilot road rear and a pilot power front will wear equally and I'll get some "extra sticky" in the front.

I have run Pilot Powers on my Bird for 2 years and get around 8-9k kms from a front with a lot of twisties riding which is hard on the front. When touring/2 up I run the Power (front) Road (rear) combo for the extra milage from the rear tyre. This is easy as I have 2 rear wheels so just swap to suit. The extra security from running a softer front tyre is worth the higher wear rate IMHO.

I HAVE RUN BOTH POWERS & ROADS. THE POWERS HAVE EXCEPTIONAL GRIP BUT OF COURSE NOT THE MILEAGE OF THE ROADS. THE ROADS HAVE VERY GOOD GRIP FOR A SPORT-TOURING TIRE . A BIG DIFFERENCE TO CONSIDER IS THE PROFILE. THE POWERS HAVE MORE OF A POINTY PROFILE & HELPS THE BIKE FALL INTO THE CORNER, THE ROADS HAVE A VERY SHALLOW PROFILE & SLOW DOWN THE TURN IN. ONE BETTER FOR SCRATCHIN', ONE BETTER FOR TRAVELLIN'......

After 2 Pilot Roads on the front, and 4 on the rear, I just recently switched to Pilot Power on the front. I can''t tell you how long it will run (and I don't really care either), but I really like it.

The MPR front is very stable. It will allow me to run corners whilst standing fully upright on the footpegs. It's also very predictable in it's behaviour.

Last week I had a holiday planned in the Dolomites (mountains connected to the Alps in Northern-Italy). We were planning some fast riding there with 12 Blackbirds. Therefore I chose to mount a MPP, replacing the almost new MPR. The bike was much easier to steer, and especcially flipping it over in hairpins. Stability is a little less, but still very OK. The bike now feels 20% lighter in short turns!

Depending on how it will last in time, I'll probably stay with this combo for now.